Tyre pressures

LED Kev

Bikes
Kawa Er6n & KLX 250
I running my new KLX and was wondering what Tyres pressures to run on for road and off road.

I have heard that on road, ride with 20f and 21r and off road run at 15 f and 15 r. Yesterday did Mae Hong Song to Chaing Mai via the minor tracks via Wat Chan. Great run with lots of different road types so I ran on 18f and 18r

Any suggestions?

Those a good numbers for dry conditions.

When its wet, drop the pressure to 10-12psi for better grip. That will allow the knobbies on the sidewall to grip a little better.

Below about 10psi the risk of a puncture increases, particularly riding over rocks.

I dont tend to go down under 15.. I thought you were more in need of rimlocks if you are operating that low ??

LivinLOS said:
I dont tend to go down under 15.. I thought you were more in need of rimlocks if you are operating that low ??

I've been running 15 psi in front & rear and seems to work in most conditions.

I'm not sure if this will relate to Thailand, but here I run 12 - 12.5 PSI everywhere.
As we have such a mix of terrain that can change from mud to sand to sharp limestone to rocks to pea gravel all on the one ride, I have an ultra heavy duty tube in the rear & a heavy duty tube in the front.
The low pressure helps in the sand, will grip better in the mud & wrap the tyre around the rocks.
Haven't had a sidewall split or a pinch flat in 5 years.

Forgot to mention, the bike only ever sees tar when crossing main roads.

Riding dirt I used to run 13 PSI rear and 15 PSI up front in the wet season and another 2 PSI in the dry season. That was with IRC heavy duty inner tubes.

Like a previous poster said if you ride in rocky terrain you may want to go a bit higher, in soft terrain and sand you can go a bit lower.

Some tyres (Michelin comes to mind) have a very stiff sidewall and you can go even lower on them (I once rode half a day on a Michelin with a nail through it and never noticed it misbehaving until I hit tarmac).

thanks for all the input

has any one managed to find rim locks for sale in Thailand

Also can you get heavy inner tubes here.

cheers Kevin
:MG

Nae at the Chiang Mai motocross shop often has the IRC heavy duty mx tubes in stock

LED Kev said:
thanks for all the input

has any one managed to find rim locks for sale in Thailand

Also can you get heavy inner tubes here.

cheers Kevin
:MG

I think Nae has rim locks as well, I have seen them there anyway..

The ones at the MX shop look quite nice with the rubber ovals on them. However, you can also get homemade rimlocks made around here for a couple hundred baht if you're in the mood to cheap out. I've been running them front and rear through my last 3-4 sets of tires with no problems at all. Can offer more info via PM.

I ripped a valve stem out on the mountain before I installed them and now I'm thinking about a second lock in the rear as I like to go quite low when the clay gets slippery (10-12 front and rear).

I'm using motion pro rimlocks front and back

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/too ... rim_locks/

Eventually, the rimlock itself wears a hole in the tube where the edge of the rubber bonded to the rimlock meets the tube.

I will try some heavy duty tubes to alleviate that plus refit the tube the other way round whenever I get a puncture.
The bonded rubber becomes unbonded after a while but I just glue it back on with regular contact adhesive and let dry overnight.

Back
Top Bottom