Two-week Loop in North-Central Lao

Joko_Londo

Bikes
Kenbo 125
Mid-September, I'm going to have two weeks off, and whereas I've considered China and Vietnam for my next tour, after bsacbob suggested I look at Laos, that's where I wanna go.

First off, how does this route look to the Lao veterans? I've looked at the pics on the Lao trip reports, and I realize there'll be some bad roads, especially considering September is late in the rainy season. 2000km may be a bit ambitious for 12 days of travel. Opinions? Suggested changes?

laotrip.png

Mid-September, I'm going to have two weeks off, and whereas I've considered China and Vietnam for my next tour, after bsacbob suggested I look at Laos, that's where I wanna go.

First off, how does this route look to the Lao veterans? I've looked at the pics on the Lao trip reports, and I realize there'll be some bad roads, especially considering September is late in the rainy season. 2000km may be a bit ambitious for 12 days of travel. Opinions? Suggested changes?

View attachment 54011

Your itinerary seems to be all paved roads with the exception of a small part along the Mekong west of Vientiane which is covered with rocks so no problems with mud. At Sam Neua in the north I would suggest you go a bit further to Viengxai (about 30 km.) as that is the place with a lot of caves which were used by the Pathet Lao (the communist army) which used the caves as their head quarters and seat of government.

I'm not sure. I'm looking to rent one in Vientiane.

Your route from Phonsavan-Sam Nuea-Nong Khiaw is sealed, but lots of potholes.
Therefore I would recommend a dualsport bike like a Honda CRF250L, Kawa KLX250, DRZ400 etc

The journey is approaching! Two weeks from today, I'll be in Laos!

As I mentioned, I'm looking to rent a bike there in Vientiane. I've heard there's lots of rental agencies to chose from, and I've also heard several horror stories about agencies with less than ethical practices. Question: Can anyone here recommend a reputable place to rent a bike? Someplace with a good selection and honest folks?

The journey is approaching! Two weeks from today, I'll be in Laos!

As I mentioned, I'm looking to rent a bike there in Vientiane. I've heard there's lots of rental agencies to chose from, and I've also heard several horror stories about agencies with less than ethical practices. Question: Can anyone here recommend a reputable place to rent a bike? Someplace with a good selection and honest folks?

There are many motorbike rental places in Vientiane and it depends on what type of bike you want to rent. Fuark motorbike rentals (mainly offroad bikes) is good and reliable - Not far from the airport located at Asiane Road (T2 road) in Ban Nakham, Phone 020-55521661, 020-54222229, 021-261970

For smaller bikes try PVO Bike Rental, Phone 020-55601111 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/PVOmotor/

I got my bike! A CRF250. Wow, what a difference from riding my scooter around! It's not so much the CCs that matter, it's the shocks and suspension. I went out to Buddha Park this morning, and the road was pretty bad. It would have been bone-jarring on my scooter. On the CRF, I barely noticed the bumps and pot-holes.

21371189_10211831303676838_5025878629520774179_n.jpg

Jim at Remote Asia Travel was fantastic in getting my geared up and gave my great advice on my route. That whole bit heading southeast towards Thakhek, I'm cutting that out.

I leave Vientiane early tomorrow. Ride report coming soon.

Well done Joko.
That's a great little bike.
I can see that you're excited and I hope your ride satisfies your expectations.
Looking forward to your report and happy journey. :DD

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Laos Information 7
Back
Top Bottom