Turn your Samsung or Iphone into an Iridium Satphone

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
A sleeve/ cassette attachment to certain iphone's & Samsung smart phone's, then enabling global voice and data communications.

USD$ 800, used to be around $1.10 a minute for airtime when i was using one on the yacht. If you're out exploring a lot could save your life, i'm still not convinced any is coming to get you in Laos & Cambo when you press the Spot "HELP" button

More in the link below:

Pivotel Sat Sleeve

satphone.jpg

If you're out exploring a lot could save your life, i'm still not convinced any is coming to get you in Laos & Cambo when you press the Spot "HELP" button

I hear this mob have evac'd a few broken offroad riders from the Cambo bush tracks to Phnom Penh.
No idea how/if it works with the Spot Help. They'd need to know someone was going to guarantee payment of the approx $5k fee.

That's why i've never bothered with a Spot here

I hear this mob have evac'd a few broken offroad riders from the Cambo bush tracks to Phnom Penh.
No idea how/if it works with the Spot Help. They'd need to know someone was going to guarantee payment of the approx $5k fee.

HOW IT WORKS:
Once activated, SPOT will acquire its exact coordinates from the GPS network, and send that location along with a distress message to the GEOS International Emergency Response Center every five minutes until cancelled or until the batteries are depleted. The Emergency Response Center notifies the appropriate emergency responders based on your GPS location and personal information – which may include local police, highway patrol, the Coast Guard, our country’s embassy or consulate, or other emergency search and rescue teams – as well as notifying your emergency contacts about the receipt of a distress signal.

SPOT Upgrade
The GEOS Member Benefit, including the Search and Rescue Insurance, underwritten by Lloyds of London, is available to all SPOT subscribers for only $17.95. The GEOS benefit provides up to $50,000 per occurrence in reimbursement for qualified SAR extraction-related expenses for which you are held responsible up to two (2) events per year. The GEOS Member benefit also provide additional SAR coordination - including arranging private aircraft/helicopter charter, private search teams - if required to get you to safety. See full terms and conditions available at FindMeSPOT.com.

Do not assume that the official emergency services will have the personnel and equipment required available at that critical time when you need help fast. In some countries, there may not be official help available at all! Even within the United States, you may be held responsible for the cost of a medical evacuation via helicopter and that cost may not be fully covered by your insurance. Your $17.95 investment could save you up to $100,000.

That's why i've never bothered with a Spot here

But places like China and (maybe even Mongolia?) must have decent SAR operated by the army...for some areas it would certainly be an extra benefit, beats waiting for a passing caravan of Touareg on their migration coming to your rescue LOL

Great info...thanks.

Cool piece of kit, hopefully this kind of thing becomes a reasonably priced add on with the rapid development of smart phones.

I have also deemed the SPOT of little use outside of highly developed countries. Riding solo off-road I'm sure one day ill be seriously injured and don't want to just hit the red button and hope someone will eventually rock-up. I'm trying to borrow an Inreach Messenger SE for my next trip which allows two way messaging so at least you can communicate your situation and know if any support is coming and an ETA.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AlexUSA GPS - Help and Discussion 16