Tourist Visa Clarification

Phil TK

Bikes
FZS1000
I've just been reading about visas on the MFA website and noted that if I visit Thailand flying from the UK I get a 30 day visa, but if I enter from a neighbouring country I only get 15 days. Could anyone tell me if Vietnam is classed as a neighbouring country (it physically isn't, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was interpreted as such) if I flew in from Hanoi to Bangkok. What is the state of play regarding visa renewal?

'- According to the Interior Ministerial Announcements dated 1 October B.E. 2545 (2002), 20 December B.E. 2545 (2002), 18 October B.E. 2547 (2004), 6 May B.E. 2548 (2005), and 23 June 2554 (2011), passport holders from 48 countries and 1 special administrative region - Hong Kong SAR - are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days on each visit. If such foreigners enter the Kingdom at the immigration checkpoints which border neighboring countries, they will be allowed to stay for 15 days each time, except Malaysian nationals who cross the borderline from Malaysia whose granted period of stay will not exceed 30 days each time. '

As far as I'm aware:
​
You get a 30 day visa exemption/waiver if you fly in. At the immigration checkpoints which border neighbouring countries, i.e. land border crossings, you will receive a 15 day visa exemption. Neither visa waivers or tourist visas are 'renewable' but both can be extended.

If you're concerned, play it safe a get a 60 day tourist visa prior to arrival.

bsacbob put up a post a couple years ago detailing the latest regulations. As far as I know, these rules are still valid. Here is info from that post:

"Citizens of G7 Countries Offered 30 Days at Land Borders
Nov 13, 2013
Society
CityNews - From the 1st November 2013, a new change came into effect ordered by the Royal Thai Immigration Office. The change will see passport holders from one of the G7 countries receiving 30 days permission to stay in Thailand when entering the country by land. Previously, they would receive 15 days by land, and the usual 30 when entering by air.

The G7 countries are: UK, USA, Japan, Germany, France, Canada and Italy. Other countries whose citizens normally receive 30 days upon entry by land are: Mongolia, Laos, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Macau, and Russia.

You can see the updated visa rules here: Visa Rules - Visa on Arrival, Tourist Visa, Non-Immigrant Visa | Thai Visa Service "

So, it goes by your nationality, not the airport that you flew from. If you are a citizen of a G7 country, you will get 30 days when you fly in, and 30 days when you enter by land.

Neighboring countries are those with a land border with Thailand.

note> in mae sai there was another friend-s report a couple of days ago>they will NOT let u do a -border- run if u don-t have any kind of visa in your passport.meaning if you get a visa on arrival at the airport,30 days, immigration will send u to buy an extension at their office but do not give u a free 30days visa and let u go in&out to Tachilek in this case.I do not know of other borders applying this rule

bsacbob put up a post a couple years ago detailing the latest regulations. As far as I know, these rules are still valid. Here is info from that post:

"Citizens of G7 Countries Offered 30 Days at Land Borders
Nov 13, 2013
Society
CityNews – From the 1st November 2013, a new change came into effect ordered by the Royal Thai Immigration Office. The change will see passport holders from one of the G7 countries receiving 30 days permission to stay in Thailand when entering the country by land. Previously, they would receive 15 days by land, and the usual 30 when entering by air.

The G7 countries are: UK, USA, Japan, Germany, France, Canada and Italy. Other countries whose citizens normally receive 30 days upon entry by land are: Mongolia, Laos, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Macau, and Russia.

You can see the updated visa rules here: Visa Rules - Visa on Arrival, Tourist Visa, Non-Immigrant Visa | Thai Visa Service "

So, it goes by your nationality, not the airport that you flew from. If you are a citizen of a G7 country, you will get 30 days when you fly in, and 30 days when you enter by land.

Neighboring countries are those with a land border with Thailand.

Forest - just to clarify the report that you got from your friend - was this his first attempt at a border crossing after he got the initial 30 days when flying in, or did he have a history or sequence of border runs?

Forest - just to clarify the report that you got from your friend - was this his first attempt at a border crossing after he got the initial 30 days when flying in, or did he have a history or sequence of border runs?

Good question.m not sure now but is also not the first time I hear this info.they are clearly fed up of 'visa-runs' and everyone that intend to stay longer in the country must buy a visa.thats the message

Good question.m not sure now but is also not the first time I hear this info.they are clearly fed up of 'visa-runs' and everyone that intend to stay longer in the country must buy a visa.thats the message
And ideally the correct one! :shake:

Just to get this thread back on track, the original poster wanted to know how many days he would get when flying in, and then asked about visa renewal.

The first part has been answered. On visa renewals, there are other threads detailing how to get 30 day extensions at Immigration.

As as far as visa runs (getting another 30 days by going across a land border), information is bogged down with unconfirmed stories, rumors, and opinions.

The Thai government did announce a crackdown on "visa runners" starting last August. They are trying to get rid of long term offenders, workers, tour guides, etc. They have had several different strategies for this in the past - giving only 3 extensions, allowing only 90 days stay in a 6 month period, and so on.

But, what about the legit tourist that wants to go shopping in Myanmar, or do a quick trip into Laos? This was supposed to be allowed.

It would be nice to know if trips like that are still OK, or if they are enforcing no visa runs for anyone under any circumstances.

So - if anyone has any first hand experiences at the border - please describe them. But include a description of your previous border crossing histories, so we can determine if you are just a tourist or a long term visa runner.

One one 60 day, Thai immigration tourist visa, if your country of citizenship (passport) is G7, correct me if im wrong, with the new rules i would have thought you can get 150 days, Alex is trying this now so we'll see i suppose.

Sequence of Thai visa's:

60 day Thai immigration tourist visa issued at Thai consulate outside Thailand (can be extended for 30 days)

30 day extension on issued on Thai tourist visa

30 days ("visa run") - granted - Border/ visa run (Mae Sai etc...) G7 passport re-enters Thailand on non- exempt Thai immigration stamp

30 day extension to G7 passport (1,900 Bht) at Thai immigration office, inside Thailand (no visa run needed)

-------

150 Days on one Thai tourist visa

"30 days - granted - Border/ visa run (Mae Sai etc...) G7 passport re-enters Thailand on non- exempt Thai immigration stamp"

Phil - your sequence of events lists this 30 day stamp following an original 60 day plus a 30 day extension at Immigration - and it seems that the process is now being tried. So - good luck Alex.

My question is whether or not you can do a land border crossing and get an additional 30 days after your 30 day on arrival at the airport. Some unconfirmed info has been put on this thread stating that this is no longer allowed. That is what I would like to see confirmed one way or the other. Do you know anyone that has been able to do this since the August "crackdown"?

My question is whether or not you can do a land border crossing and get an additional 30 days after your 30 day on arrival at the airport. Some unconfirmed info has been put on this thread stating that this is no longer allowed. That is what I would like to see confirmed one way or the other. Do you know anyone that has been able to do this since the August "crackdown"?

It seems the harsh new, Thai immigration, visa run laws, as usual, seem to have been forgotten about rather quickly, at every border except Mea Sai international border crossing (the most used visa run border because of its convenience and low cost) is what im told. Even Mae Sai might be back to normal, Alex will have more info.

My personal opinion is that land border 30 days non exempt visa, G7 passport 30 day extension visa, airport entry 30 day non exempt is possible. Whether you could then get an additional 30 day visa extension inside Thailand would be interesting.

Also..

30 day extension to G7 passport (1,900 Bht) at Thai immigration office, inside Thailand (no visa run needed)

That is entirely up to the discretion of the Imm Officer and after looking at the preceding stamps may not be granted.

Perhaps using the 30 + 30 (visa exemption on arrival + extension) then obtaining a TV after could work better or be another option as once you've used the 90 days you could do another border crossing after that.

All theoretical of course.

"It seems the harsh new, Thai immigration, visa run laws, as usual, seem to have been forgotten about rather quickly, at every border except Mea Sai international border crossing (the most used visa run border because of its convenience and low cost) is what im told"

Phil - does this mean that you have actual first hand reports confirming that Mai Sai is refusing visa runners of any kind?

"It seems the harsh new, Thai immigration, visa run laws, as usual, seem to have been forgotten about rather quickly, at every border except Mea Sai international border crossing (the most used visa run border because of its convenience and low cost) is what im told"

Phil - does this mean that you have actual first hand reports confirming that Mai Sai is refusing visa runners of any kind?

3 months ago, when the new immigration laws were being enforced, i do know people that were refused exit at Mae Sai and told to get on an airplane & others i knew that got through had their hotel reservations checked as they came back across into Mae Sai.

you-re asking 'confirmed' info.. I do not have a video or else to confirm.I simply wrote info passed by fellow travellers on a local,Pai ,forum.and I read it before already ,by people that has no interest in lieing or polemic.
yes you are allowed one visarun after your visa on arrival.then you are taking chances expecially in mae sai.must buy double entry and you'll be fine.60+30..60+30days.
single will allow you 60+30 days extension.Thats it,no visa run.immi will send u back.they made it clear,want $$ ..new? no.

"30 days - granted - Border/ visa run (Mae Sai etc...) G7 passport re-enters Thailand on non- exempt Thai immigration stamp"

Phil - your sequence of events lists this 30 day stamp following an original 60 day plus a 30 day extension at Immigration - and it seems that the process is now being tried. So - good luck Alex.

Forest - I am trying to get an answer to a specific question, based on a first hand report. The info on this thread is, to say the least, not very clear.

For example, here is what you said in an earlier post - "meaning if you get a visa on arrival at the airport,30 days, immigration will send u to buy an extension at their office but do not give u a free 30days visa and let u go in&out to Tachilek in this case'

While in your latest post - "yes you are allowed one visarun after your visa on arrival.then you are taking chances expecially in mae sai"

Your own statements contradict each other. Can you fault me for asking for first hand info?

BTW, another specific question has come up. A friend is visiting from the UK. He arrived last month on a 60 day visa that expires in January. His return date to the UK is December 18th.

If he does a shopping trip to Mae Sai/Tachilek before his scheduled departure, what happens? Is his visa automatically finished, or will they sign him back in until the expiration date of the original 60 day visa, or will they give him another 30 days on arrival? Anyone out there that knows for sure?

BTW, another specific question has come up. A friend is visiting from the UK. He arrived last month on a 60 day visa that expires in January. His return date to the UK is December 18th.

If he does a shopping trip to Mae Sai/Tachilek before his scheduled departure, what happens? Is his visa automatically finished, or will they sign him back in until the expiration date of the original 60 day visa, or will they give him another 30 days on arrival? Anyone out there that knows for sure?

Presuming it's a single entry tourist visa he's on, then then single entry will be "used" on exit from Thailand, at the Mae Sai international border and when re-enters Thailand, will be on a 30 day non-exempt visa immigration entry stamp (G7 passport). Not sure if they are still allowing the 500 Bht and passport left at the border so no Thai exit stamp at Mae Sai.

here is the article..
if you need confirmed info your best bet is to walk in the nearest immi office..

PS get that 'confirmed' info in written or could be changed by the officer in turn at the border at his discretion/previous stamps, and mood that day.

New Visa Rules Explained

Forest - I have seen this before. Here is the part of the article relevant to my question:
"The Immigration Bureau no longer permits consecutive visa runs for those who wish to remain in Thailand. However, travellers can be re-admitted if they can prove that they want to enter Thailand solely for the purpose of tourism, or to leave again by air."

According to this statement, a single visa run should be allowed. But as we both know, the rules often get interpreted differently. All I am trying to do is find out the actual current interpretaion in use at Mae Sai.

Now you were the one that claimed that Mae Sai was not letting anyone do a 30 day visa run, based on posts that you read on a different forum. Later on, you said that a single visa run was allowed. Obviously statements that don't agree with each other, so all I can do is not accept either of them as factual.

If anyone does have the current facts, please let me know.

Forest - I have seen this before. Here is the part of the article relevant to my question:
"The Immigration Bureau no longer permits consecutive visa runs for those who wish to remain in Thailand. However, travellers can be re-admitted if they can prove that they want to enter Thailand solely for the purpose of tourism, or to leave again by air."

According to this statement, a single visa run should be allowed. But as we both know, the rules often get interpreted differently. All I am trying to do is find out the actual current interpretaion in use at Mae Sai.

Now you were the one that claimed that Mae Sai was not letting anyone do a 30 day visa run, based on posts that you read on a different forum. Later on, you said that a single visa run was allowed. Obviously statements that don't agree with each other, so all I can do is not accept either of them as factual.

If anyone does have the current facts, please let me know.

I am not claiming anything,just let u know of 2 different people's experience and yes,different stories, u don't need to believe.i just tryed to help .good luck
S.

He should automatically get another 30 days Bob.
I did a visa run there last sunday, I got another 60 days no problem at all, the only question I was asked was if my address was in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai as there wasn't room on the form to put in the city

u got 60 days -no problem- because u oviously have a multi/tourist visa in passport.Who reported problems did not have a visa ,
anyway Bobs ,as the article say if is a one time visarun your friend should be fine.

He should automatically get another 30 days Bob.
I did a visa run there last sunday, I got another 60 days no problem at all, the only question I was asked was if my address was in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai as there wasn't room on the form to put in the city

Why not cut out the hassle and just get a double or triple entry tourist visa. £30 an entry, possibly cheaper if got in Vientiane or similar if you are already here.

I am not claiming anything,just let u know of 2 different people's experience and yes,different stories, u don't need to believe.i just tryed to help .good luck
S.
About 6 weeks ago, I tried to go out at Mae Sai to come in again on a 30day Visa Exemption, but they said that as I could extend my tourist visa for another month, I had to do that, at immigration.
They would not let us leave thailand there.

About 6 weeks ago, I tried to go out at Mae Sai to come in again on a 30day Visa Exemption, but they said that as I could extend my tourist visa for another month, I had to do that, at immigration.
They would not let us leave thailand there.

there we go..drop 1900bht at the office please, ;) we avoid your walk on the Myanmar side and back and sell u the same 30days stamp....so cute!dead horse

Alex - thanks for the report. Was this attempt somewhere in the 150 day sequence that Phil listed? Were you finishing up the 60 day visa or further along?

"Sequence of Thai visa's:

60 day Thai immigration tourist visa issued at Thai consulate outside Thailand (can be extended for 30 days)

30 day extension on issued on Thai tourist visa

30 days ("visa run") - granted - Border/ visa run (Mae Sai etc...) G7 passport re-enters Thailand on non- exempt Thai immigration stamp

30 day extension to G7 passport (1,900 Bht) at Thai immigration office, inside Thailand (no visa run needed)"

Back
Top Bottom