Tour d'Borneo

Joko_Londo

Bikes
Kenbo 125
It wasn't all of Borneo. In fact, it was just a little slice of West Borneo, a loop around the regions bordering Pontianak. I wanted to go some place really different, but not that super hard to get to from Yangon, Myanmar, where I live today. It was just a short skip down to KL and then a short hop over to Pontianak.

This is from April of 2016, and it was the first time I'd ridden in Indonesia since 1990, when I was a much younger man. In fact, I lived there for two years (not consecutively) in the late 80's and early 90's as an exchange student. As the young mind is a lot more pliable and able to absorb languages, I am actually fluent in Indonesian.

I planned this trip poorly. I hadn't secured a motorcycle rental beforehand, and I just thought I'd figure it out when I got there. That was my first mistake.

I may not have found a motorcycle rental that first day, but at least I fulfilled my lifelong ambition of meeting Doraemon.

Uh oh. A foreigner. Scary.

Yeah, I guess he's okay,

Joko_Londo

Bikes
Kenbo 125
The audio ain't too good here in Part 2. My bad for bad mixing. In any case, I got motorbike to rent and decided the visit the TripAdvisor's top rated restaurant for Pontianak.

Joko_Londo

Bikes
Kenbo 125
After securing a modest Yamaha scooter on which to tour, I did some more exploring of the city of Vampire Women. Yes, "Pontianak" comes from the name of a mythical Malay monster, a blood-sucking undead female.

Joko_Londo

Bikes
Kenbo 125
This next leg of the journey happens to be the most watched on YouTube from this trip. Pontianak to Bengkayang..

Rain. Friendly locals. Picturesque hills.

bsacbob

Administrator
Staff member
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda xr250 Baja
Nice work, found myself whistling that damn song :RE

arjuna50

Bikes
honda
Yep, you're right. If you have more time you can explore the beauty of Borneo again and you will look the natural beauty & that is very impressive. I've been four times to go there and it made me addicted to go there again.

Joko_Londo

Bikes
Kenbo 125
Just a few miles south of Singkawang in Kalimantan Barat lies a large beach resort area with 3 hotels. I chose the Palapa Beach Hotel to be my home for a few days at a tropical beach, my favorite way to spend a vacation. This vid is me checking in.

Joko_Londo

Bikes
Kenbo 125
The vacation was entering its home stretch as I found myself at the Pasir Putih Indah beach resort and the Palapa Beach Hotel. Strolls along a deserted tropical beach, driving out to recharge the phone and getting stung by jellyfish.

Joko_Londo

Bikes
Kenbo 125
The west coast of Kalimantan is rife with beaches, places to chill and resorts. When I visited in April of 2016, they were all pretty much empty.

Top Bottom