Tom Tom in Vietnam .......any info out there.. i.e. To buy it there? & getting maps ?

johnybrando

Bikes
1050 Speed Triple, Z-1, Big Singles
Tom Tom in Vietnam .......any info out there.. i.e. To buy it there? & getting maps ?

Hi all , I have a waterproof handlebar GPS mount & wonder if I should get a Tom Tom for my planned Trip in Nov, as a wet & torn paper maps would be a nightmare aye ! Has any one got around using a Tom Tom in Vietnam ? If so ...best to it there, or in home country ? ( I ask this as OZ is crazy expensive ! ) & getting maps for it there ...possible or impossible ? How detailed did you find the Tom Tom Maps there.. did it show minor Roads and Tracks ? I don't have an i-Phone & don't particularly want one either , I'd like to keep it as easy as poss, as I'm a top techno dummy...taken years to get to my level too haha & I'm proud & happy to admit it !
I'm flying into Hanoi in early Nov hoping to ride the Northern region for 3 weeks ( on my lone-some ) hence....... I expect to get lost quite frequently ....disappearing up the "Ol" back passage but I would luv to minamize this as much as possible. Any words of wisdom from those intrepid riders that have trod those Boards before using a Tom Tom GPS or similar would be much appreciated. Over N out, Johny B ............dead horse ?

Re: Tom Tom in Vietnam .......any info out there.. i.e. To buy it there? & getting ma

Johny most of the users on the forum use Garmin GPS units, not that they are the best but more readily available in Asia and the maps are good. I used Tom Toms in the UK and found them to be very good for the money, i would suggest you visit sites like GPS City, here is a link to an earlier post of a waterproof unit they have on offer http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/gps-help-discussion/

Re: Tom Tom in Vietnam .......any info out there.. i.e. To buy it there? & getting ma

Johny most of the users on the forum use Garmin GPS units, not that they are the best but more readily available in Asia and the maps are good. I used Tom Toms in the UK and found them to be very good for the money, i would suggest you visit sites like GPS City, here is a link to an earlier post of a waterproof unit they have on offer http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/gps-help-discussion/

Thanks Bob I appreciate that ...if Garmin Gps units are the weapon of choice & more or better available maps then thats the direction I should head ! I'll start checking that out after I've gone to the link you kindly included. BTW What Bezza's are you into ? My first road bike was an A10-Road Rocket with a chair & 2 bags of sand in it ........at 17 I thought I was King Dick.... but I soon came un-stuck & realised I was just a young Cock !!!!!!! Cheers.

Thanks Bob . I just had a look at that link....way above my level mate ! I can just about " on a good day " manage a drag n drop or download if I'm lucky. I'm certainly alright at building bikes & motors but not so with Keyboard's or Electronic's. It's gotta be simple for a numbness like me. My Waterproof & zip up, Handlebar mounted GPS housing will accept a std old squarish type GPS unit of a maximum dimensions 130 x 90 x 40 deep if any one out there knows of the Garman model numbers of units that will run Vietnam maps showing road & hopefully tracks please would you enlighten me. Thanks guy,s Johny B.

Ok, why not get a half decent Android and download OSM for android its free and so are the maps :dirtbike:

Ok, why not get a half decent Android and download OSM for android its free and so are the maps :dirtbike:

Thanks Bob & I apologize for being a dip-stick here in this particular thread & perhaps I'm just getting out my depth & should just by a paper map when I get there ! I have however had a look on Flea-Bay but don't know what I'm really looking for ??? I guess it must be a Android "Phone" of some description and of a size that will fit in my Handlebar mounted GPS housing but as for it's operating requirement etc I have no idea ........as there is 3G - 4G ....Telstra or Optus ...locked, unlocked , all different memory capabilities etc, etc. It's all 'Double Dutch' to me ! I guess of course it must be GPS comparable too. Used one's seem to range in price massively from at $25 (thats the lowest I've seen.... right up to dizzy heights of about $500. ) Can you please outline to me a brief list of the base operating requirements that I'd need to be able to operate & run this free OSM map system that you referred too . I'm not sure if this one in the link below would do the job ?? or if it appears to you to be - a dodgy pile of dung ...it is 2nd hand from some sort of dealer & has a scuffed screen & a cracked back case & what it's history is ...is any one 's guess, but the price is at the right end os the scale for me ! With a bit of list from you as to the operational running requirements that I'd need ...well, then I'd sort of know if I was in the right Paddock ...so to speak. Sorry to be nuisance & if you think I should just step away from this & buy a map ...well please say so & I will. Thanks again for idea's & help.....certainly enlightening.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Samsung-...657021?hash=item488cd8b27d:g:f8wAAOSwiYFXICGU

Thanks Bob & I apologize for being a dip-stick here in this particular thread & perhaps I'm just getting out my depth & should just by a paper map when I get there ! I have however had a look on Flea-Bay but don't know what I'm really looking for ??? I guess it must be a Android "Phone" of some description and of a size that will fit in my Handlebar mounted GPS housing but as for it's operating requirement etc I have no idea ........as there is 3G - 4G ....Telstra or Optus ...locked, unlocked , all different memory capabilities etc, etc. It's all 'Double Dutch' to me ! I guess of course it must be GPS comparable too. Used one's seem to range in price massively from at $25 (thats the lowest I've seen.... right up to dizzy heights of about $500. ) Can you please outline to me a brief list of the base operating requirements that I'd need to be able to operate & run this free OSM map system that you referred too . I'm not sure if this one in the link below would do the job ?? or if it appears to you to be - a dodgy pile of dung ...it is 2nd hand from some sort of dealer & has a scuffed screen & a cracked back case & what it's history is ...is any one 's guess, but the price is at the right end os the scale for me ! With a bit of list from you as to the operational running requirements that I'd need ...well, then I'd sort of know if I was in the right Paddock ...so to speak. Sorry to be nuisance & if you think I should just step away from this & buy a map ...well please say so & I will. Thanks again for idea's & help.....certainly enlightening.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Samsung-...657021?hash=item488cd8b27d:g:f8wAAOSwiYFXICGU

Johny,
Basically you have two clear options, grab yourself an older model Garmin Nuvi like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-...791440?hash=item3d136b1b10:g:ctUAAOSwu1VW2QII and downlaod the map you need from OSM and install it to the Garmin folder on the GPS or make a folder on the the SD card and install it there. Map for Vietnam found here http://mapas.alternativaslibres.es/downloads.php

You could get an Android phone like the one you linked too (so long has it has a decent internal memory or you can add micro SD Card to put the map onto, download Osmand from Google Play https://play.google.com/store/search?q=osmand&hl=en downlaod the app directly to the smartphone, open the app and you can download the map you need directly to the phone and your done.

Either way will work, it depends on what style of map you prefer some people like Garmin style maps other prefer the OSM style.

Last edited:

Cheers Bob...... I've just ordered via the link you sent me for that Garmin unit & then I'm gunna do as you suggest & download the maps via the other link you sent me. Brilliant you have been a great help & much appreciated & I'll keep you posted. Cheers, Johny B

Back
Top Bottom