The new highest road in the world

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
For as long as you can remember, the Khardung La Pass has been the highest motor-able road in the world.

1073875_10152062779338345_443132147_o by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Looks like the Umlinga Pass is 1,000 feet (300 meters) higher!!

highest road in the world by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Khardung La is no longer the highest motorable road in the world. It is Umlingla Pass. Khardung La Pass is situated at an altitude of 18,380 feet, while the newly constructed Umlingla Pass is at 19,300 feet. Handful of bikers know about this new pass, and an even fewer number of bikers have managed to conquer it. Sudeep Chakraborty from Airheads shares details about Umlingla Pass with Rushlane.
Airheads is a community of bikers based in Ahmedabad. After months of planning, on 25th August this year, seven of us set out on a journey which would see us ride our bikes on the following route – Ahmedabad – Delhi – Chamba – Sach Pass – Killar – Darcha – Leh – Khardungla – Nubra – Shyok – Pangong – Man, Merak – Chushul – Hanle – Ukdungle – Umling La – Hanle – Debring – Keylong – Manali – Chandigarh – Delhi – Ahmedabad. In this post, I will only talk about Umlingla Pass. A detailed report of our experience will be shared at a later date.

Umlingla Pass – Where is it and How to reach there

• Umling La is the pass on the new shorter route to Demchok. It has been constructed as a part of Indian Army ‘s drive to provide faster connectivity to the sensitive Demchok zone.
  • Umling La was the starred place of our journey. But the road from Hanle via Photi La from northern is not accessible, basically the road isn’t even connected. You have to head south to Ukdungle via Punguk and then east towards Demchok.
  • There is an army camp on the main road and there’s a bridge under construction where a nallah flows along. Crossing the nallah to the other side, the road towards Umling starts. It’s another 24 kms from the main road to Umling Top.
    Sudeep with his modified Ninja 650 at the Umlingla Pass.
  • Civilians cannot access Umling La as army camp at the base may not allow you to go. Even if they do under no circumstances can one head to Demchok as you cannot get permission for that place ever. Only when accompanied by an army personnel can a civilian head to Demchok.
  • Umling La army will allow but you cannot cross Umling La and descend towards Demchok unless accompanied by an Army personel himself.
  • Another word of caution is to keep a good track of your location as there are many dirt roads which can lead to the demarcated indo china border. Going close to the border or crossing it is punishable and you can be arrested. We had at first gone on a wrong trail and ended up reaching an ITBP post which was just 12 kms from border.
  • The ITBP guy warned us that had we gone ahead on an unmanned road. We could have crossed into China across the no man’s stretch of 4kms.
Here is the Pin location of Umlingla Pass Start Point on Google Maps

Name of the Airheads members who conquered Umlingla Pass and their rides
Sudeep Chakraborty – Ninja 650 (off-road mod)
Prakash Sanjeev – Versys 650
Swaroop Srinivasan – CBR250
Abhinav Joshi – RE STD 500
Kunj Panchal – Thunderbird 350
Vaibhav Vyas – Continental GT (modded for touring)
Biren Patel – Tiger Explorer 1200 XC

Cr: https://www.rushlane.com/bikers-umlingla-pass-highest-road-12251639.html

Respect to Swaroop Srinivasan – CBR250! . My style of guy! Must have been a PITA to handle those gravel roads crouched over low bars, with bugger-all seat padding too!

Name of the Airheads members who conquered Umlingla Pass and their rides
Sudeep Chakraborty – Ninja 650 (off-road mod)
Prakash Sanjeev – Versys 650
Swaroop Srinivasan – CBR250
Abhinav Joshi – RE STD 500
Kunj Panchal – Thunderbird 350
Vaibhav Vyas – Continental GT (modded for touring)
Biren Patel – Tiger Explorer 1200 XC

Cr: https://www.rushlane.com/bikers-umlingla-pass-highest-road-12251639.html

There are a number of roads higher than Khardung La. The ones that are not open to the pubic don't really count however there are still other passes higher and Khardung La's height is overstated so even Chang La the pass labeled 2nd highest is actually higher then Khardung La.

That said, having ridden a few of them it is an achievement to ride this part of the world and I was not bothered if the numbers were out a bit here and there since the height is so far beyond anything I have ridden elsewhere. It makes things like Mt Fuji here in Japan seem like foothills.

That is some feat. I wonder how slow they had to go to gradually acclimate their bodies to the drop in oxygen. The "Death Zone" is 26,000ft.

I'm not sure if I've met you or just read some of your posts. Your name is very familiar. I was in Chiang Mai in 2017 with Prince666 for a while.

I am going to be in Nepal/India for 5 weeks-September 2018. No rental or flight reservations yet. Umling La is a POI for me. I assume permits are required to be in the area. I'm American. Any advice for a solo traveller? I didn't see a link to your RR on this thread. I'm sure you did one. I'll find it if you did.

I'm not sure if I've met you or just read some of your posts. Your name is very familiar. I was in Chiang Mai in 2017 with Prince666 for a while.

I am going to be in Nepal/India for 5 weeks-September 2018. No rental or flight reservations yet. Umling La is a POI for me. I assume permits are required to be in the area. I'm American. Any advice for a solo traveller? I didn't see a link to your RR on this thread. I'm sure you did one. I'll find it if you did.

Hi Doogle

A new RR had just popped up here on RA for the area you are looking to ride.

A good insight into this area from a friend of mine in Thailand

LINK........ Nepal April 2018 part 2 of 2

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom