The "Million Bottle Wat" (Wat Laan Khuaat) - Si Sa Ket

Grathiam

Bikes
Suzuki 250XC Djebel, F650GS, Honda Dream
The "Million Bottle Wat" (Wat Laan Khuaat), one of the most unique Wats I've yet viewed.

The Wat Laan Khuaat is located about 15km south of where Hwy 220 from Si Sa Ket, meets with Hwy 24.
[Sorry, I didn't own a GPS at the time, so no coordinates...but easy to find by asking locals]
The Wat is comprised of about 14 structures and all of them are made from bottles. And, yes, even the interiors on many of the buildings are made with bottles! Reportedly the "jao a wat" (head monk) was dismayed with all the discarded bottles that graced the regions landscape and decided to do something about it. I was told that construction began 30-years ago, but doubt that figure was accurate, considering the immensity of some of the buildings and the amount of bottles required.

The few pictures I've included below only show some of the structures, but they will give viewers an idea of what visitors will encounter. I found the Wat a mind boggling fairy land of bottles of all sizes, shapes and colors. If your graphics viewer allows you to zoom-in, even with the reduced size posted pictures, you can better see some of the detail of the various buildings.

This is the entrance, but the picture fails to show that the bottle wall extends about 150-feet in either direction:
Watenter.jpg

Upon entering you encounter their large water storage tank and a rest area, both made with bottles:
Wat-water.jpg

Below are some of the structures. Note that not only the walls, but also the roofing was made with bottles and cement:
Wat.jpg

Wat1.jpg

Wat2.jpg

Wat3.jpg

Wat5.jpg

This structure was unique in that it was surrounded by pools of water containing carp fish.
Wat4.jpg

Some detail of the above pictured wat:
Wat4-1.jpg

Wat4-2.jpg

Wat4-3.jpg

This shows only a small section of the long building that houses the toilets. There are at least 16 toilets [I didn't count :-) ]..but an inspection revealed that even the interior of the toilets were made with bottles!
toilets.jpg

Some of the buildings have mosaic scenes on both the exterior and interior walls. From a distance nothing seems unusual, but a closer view reveals that the pictures are comprised of varied colored bottle caps! I imagined one of the monks asking 'you have another white one, I just need one to finish', 'Nah, none here'...so he had to prowl the streets hunting for an elusive white bottle cap!
mosaic1.jpg

Mosaic.jpg

Below is a closer view of one of the mosaics:
Mosaic2.jpg

Hi and thanks for posting this thread.

After a mad dash yesterday from Kanchanburi(655km) and arriving in the dark, today I was up early and spent a nice pleasant hour wandering the grounds snapping photos.

I only saw two monks, none with English so I could not ask any questions, I was intending to hide a Geocache here, with a monk being caretaker, but that was not to be.

Never mind, it was well worth the visit, and thanks for the GPS co-ords, they are spot on

IMG_0078small.jpg

Cheers from Khan Han
TravellingStrom

And thanks to your tutorial about 'geocaching' Ally I was recently able to hold a reasonably intelligent and interesting (well, I thought!) conversation
with Richard about the practise. I could be persuaded!
It seems that Angkor Wat may be of great interest to Richard. :RE

Back
Top Bottom