The Hai Van Pass

buksida

Bikes
CB500F
After the long train journey from Hanoi (and Top Gear’s Vietnam special) all I wanted to do was ride back up the Hai Van (sea cloud) Pass, one of Asia’s most spectacular stretches of road. There we're very few big bikes available for rent so we had to settle for scooters.

Those maps in the Lonely Planet books are pretty misleading … it’s a bloody long way from My An Beach, south Danang, so we stopped off at 'Monkey Mountain'.

Riding over the bridge into town and out north again along the 15km stretch of Nam O beach where there is no development and not much else we finally reached the foot of the pass and the looming cloud covered hills ahead. The road began to climb, turn and switch-back its way up into the hills offering fantastic views back over the bay and towards Danang city, 25km to the south.

This is a riders road and I would have loved to have been on a bigger bike - but obviously not with the kids! As we neared the summit the scenery and views just got better and on the other side even better still, it was a great feeling to be on the open road and away from all the tourists at last. A small outpost was at the summit with the usual pack of trinket sellers and food vendors.

DSC_7808.jpg
DSC_7798.jpg
DSC_7793.jpg
DSC_7785.jpg
DSC_7782.jpg
DSC_7779.jpg
DSC_7778.jpg
DSC_7808.jpg
DSC_7798.jpg

More photos on the blog: On The Road Asia : Vietnam - Hai Van Pass

Attachments

• DSC_7776.jpg
    DSC_7776.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 378
  • DSC_7772.jpg
    DSC_7772.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 452
Yes, excellent thanks

Thanks Buksida for this post, very nice photos :)

Ally

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
VietHorse Vietnam Ride Reports 38
Back
Top Bottom