Thailand's best-known Honda Blackbird for sale

barrygrussell

Bikes
Kawasaki Z800, Yamaha Mio
Another classified, another Honda that has been through the 'Fandango Frank' treatment, though this one will be a familiar sight to anyone who has been around the Thailand Superbike scene over the last few years.

This Blackbird has been immaculately, bordering on obsessively, maintained and has clocked up around 35,000km since it rolled out of the showroom in 2003.

429719_10150645065839481_572749480_8903236_2052408504_n.jpg

The asking price is 220,000 baht and here are my first-hand impressions of the bike.

Last night I joined Frank for a late night ride around the fringes of Bangkok. Never having ridden a Blackbird before I was expecting a 'Gentleman's Express' but found myself riding a big superbike that put a three-hour grin on my face.
The power and torque were as impressive as I expected. It’s a big bike that weighs in at 224kg, but you forget the bulk as soon as you’re above walking pace, at which point it just feels stable, though inevitably I need of a sure touch to get it to do as you require. The throttle action is light and when you wind it open you have to crouch over the front to stay onboard. Keeping the revs about 7,000 as I went through the gears on a wide, deserted stretch of road, the power came in smoothly, though pleasingly with more malice than I expected.

Confession time. A momentary glance down at the speedo was enough to bring me way too close to the rear of a car in front, but a light touch on the bars was enough to flick around it without drama and without backing off. Further on an unintentional lifting of the front wheel over a klong hump bridge landed with only the slightest twitch on the bars. The stability of the handling at north of 240kph (theoretically speaking, officer) is impeccable and inspires confidence. In lower speed turns, like the ones you find on outer Bangkok’s road intersections it changed direction far easier than I expected too.

As I became more familiar with the bike I began to reflect upon why Honda left the Blackbird so fundamentally unchanged since its launch in 1996 until the last one rolled off the production line in 2005 (though note that some were later branded as 06 and 07 models). The answer is quite simple and quintessentially Honda: it works perfectly, so there is no need for change until they figure out some kind of significant improvement to make. The main changes have been the switch to fuel injection and a digital dash, both of which this 2003 model has.

The jet-fighter nose cone is the most effective of any bike I have ridden. Without ear plugs the wind noise was negligible at ‘go straight to jail’ speeds, which leaves you relaxed and free from any distraction or discomfort, which is important, to say the least.
During the inevitable stop for a burger, I gave my impressions to the bike’s owner and, having ridden two of his bikes in the last few days, believe that I may have uncovered the Fandango Frank Formula.

Here are the modifications:

1. Junk the catalytic converters to add 7bhp to the claimed stock 150bhp
2. Fit a K/N air filter for better breathing
3. Get rid of the cheap OE rear shock, fit one from YSS and jack up the rear by 25mm for faster turning and better handling
4. Fit a rear sprocket with an extra tooth for sharper acceleration

If you have read the ad for Frank's 2007 CB 1300, you will see the similarity.

A bit long for a classified ad, so I'll post in Ride Reports too without the price tag!

Attachments

• Tha It-20120315-01854_Edit.jpg
    Tha It-20120315-01854_Edit.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 3,552
Ive done BKK to CM in approx. 4.5 hours with about 3/4 fuel stops I think and would never try it again. GPS speeds of 280+km/h. Most of the time between 180 and 220.
3:40:00 is averaging 204km/h, must have been sustaining 250+ speeds for long periods! that's crazy fast for such a distance

johnnysneds said:
Ive done BKK to CM in approx. 4.5 hours with about 3/4 fuel stops I think and would never try it again. GPS speeds of 280+km/h. Most of the time between 180 and 220.
3:40:00 is averaging 204km/h, must have been sustaining 2
50+ speeds for long periods! that's crazy fast for such a distance

There s been talk that a Thai guy has done it on a ducati 1098 3 hrs and 45 mins

I wonder what normal law abiding citizens think when a bike passes them -everyone- at those kinds of speeds?

Must be quite shocking to have something pass you at over 100kph faster than you are travelling at.

One persons satisfaction for how much bad will towards bikers in general?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Classifieds 4
Back
Top Bottom