Thailand vs Malaysia price differences.

garethw

Bikes
KTM 250 EXC-F
I received a quote from KTM Bangkok for a Duke 690 (on the road) = 678900 Baht or approx 15,000 pounds, exactly the same bike in the KTM dealer in Kota Bharu Malaysia = 482818 Baht or approx 10,500 pounds almost a third cheaper. The dealer down here also has a generation 3, 2011 used model for 420,500 Baht approx 9200 pounds. I prefer the look of the 2011 model with the double vertical head light.

How easy is it to re-register the bike in Thailand, they are already road legal so I imagine its just the "small matter" of getting a green book, or keep it Malaysian registered and border run every 6 months. There is also the short 1400KM ride from Kota Bharu to Pattaya to think about.............

Gareth, i presume you know about the road legal KTM Cambodia option in the link below:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-.../3694-they-again-ktm-cambo-25%-off-sales.html

I received a quote from KTM Bangkok for a Duke 690 (on the road) = 678900 Baht or approx 15,000 pounds, exactly the same bike in the KTM dealer in Kota Bharu Malaysia = 482818 Baht or approx 10,500 pounds almost a third cheaper. The dealer down here also has a generation 3, 2011 used model for 420,500 Baht approx 9200 pounds. I prefer the look of the 2011 model with the double vertical head light.

How easy is it to re-register the bike in Thailand, they are already road legal so I imagine its just the "small matter" of getting a green book, or keep it Malaysian registered and border run every 6 months. There is also the short 1400KM ride from Kota Bharu to Pattaya to think about.............

Gareth- have you contact details, website info etc for this dealer in Malaysia so prices can be compared between the dealer in Cambodia?

KEL CYCLE (M) SDN BHD
Lot PT 881, Pauh Panji, Jalan Raja Perempuan Zainab 2,
16100 Kota Bahru,
Kelantan.
Tel : 09 7441911
Fax : 09 7442911
http://www.kelcycle.my/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

He has quoted me 2 prices for a 2013 Duke 690, 48,800 RM cash OR 52,400 if you take their finance option. The higher price appears on their website, so I am assuming they assume new customers here pay on tick. Even spreading the cost it is still 16,000 RM / 158,000 baht / £3400 (approx) cheaper than the Thai KTM price.

The only thing holding me back from going there and buying one is, keeping a Malaysian registered bike long term in Thailand and having to do visa runs with it. IF I knew I could get it transferred onto a Thai number plate with a legal green book, I would be riding one home to Pattaya on the 2nd / 3rd of June.

KEL CYCLE (M) SDN BHD
Lot PT 881, Pauh Panji, Jalan Raja Perempuan Zainab 2,
16100 Kota Bahru,
Kelantan.
Tel : 09 7441911
Fax : 09 7442911
http://www.kelcycle.my/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

He has quoted me 2 prices for a 2013 Duke 690, 48,800 RM cash OR 52,400 if you take their finance option. The higher price appears on their website, so I am assuming they assume new customers here pay on tick. Even spreading the cost it is still 16,000 RM / 158,000 baht / £3400 (approx) cheaper than the Thai KTM price.

The only thing holding me back from going there and buying one is, keeping a Malaysian registered bike long term in Thailand and having to do visa runs with it. IF I knew I could get it transferred onto a Thai number plate with a legal green book, I would be riding one home to Pattaya on the 2nd / 3rd of June.

Are you looking at buying the 690 Duke or 690 Duke R ?

Prices from that website seem steep compared to other importing options. The KTM300EXC for instance works out at 472K Baht.....ouch!!!!
if you we're going to reg it in Thailand best to bring it in as parts then either do it yourself or get someone to reg it for you.

Prices from that website seem steep compared to other importing options. The KTM300EXC for instance works out at 472K Baht.....ouch!!!!
if you we're going to reg it in Thailand best to bring it in as parts then either do it yourself or get someone to reg it for you.

I think his website shows the finance prices over 7 years which is around 14.5% extra, deduct that from 472,000 baht gives you 403,560 baht. I remember last year I asked the same shop about a 350 exc-f and the price quoted was over the top.

Cambodia KTM prices (especially with the 25% off sale) are a lot cheaper than Malaysia KTM prices.

Yes I agree with that, looking on their facebook page they are offering 15% discount on the 690 Duke. However if I do decide to get one of these, for me buying it where I work is far easier than the Cambodian option.

Going by your first post I get the feeling you'd rather have it registered in Thailand for convenience, ie no border runs. Every six months from what I hear is dodgy, paying for overstays etc. I'm no expert on this matter and for sure there's guys who do it for this long (maybe they can clear up how easy it is to get away with it every 6 months) and is the reason I decided to go against the idea of temp importing a bike.
now there's approx 200K baht difference between the Thai/Mal quotes you provided in the first post. It will cost you between 80-100K to register it and I'm assuming you have to pay import tax. As parts I think it around 30% a complete bike is anyone's guess. It might end up costing you more and possibly some warranty issues. KTM Cambodia is a lot cheaper if you could get the 25%, this may make it all more worthwhile going through the Thai reg process. If not border runs will become part of your lifestyle, not a bad thing if your on a bike!

Back
Top Bottom