Thai Reg Bike Border Crossings with a bike not in your name

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Re: Thai Reg Bike Border Crossings with a bike not in your

Make sure the road tax is valid too, they will sometimes check this in the back of the green registration book & if not valid, not let you out.

What border crossings are being used that require this documentation?

This again highlights how fickle Thai laws are and how Thai government officials make their own laws on the spot. It reinforces my view of how backwards the Thai system is!!!

I ask as I regularly take both Thai registered bikes and car across the border into Malaysia at the Sadao border crossing.
The bikes and car are registered in my wife’s name.
Entering Malaysia, on the Thai side, there is no facility where you must stop. No, Thai customs people check anything. Or not that I have observed. There is a main road bypass that forces one to leave the main road and guides one through the customs area but it is not gated or restricted. I ride through at 5 k’s per hour looking for any sign of an official to stop me.
I have not seen any vehicles other than large trucks in a separate customs area being pulled over by any official. I have done this crossing many times.
I just ride or drive through. I have to park the bike or car in a large car park which is on the Malaysian side of the Thai immigration check point!!! walk to the immigration counter to be stamped through. I inset the registration number of my bike or car in the Thai departure form. There are never any questions.
At the Malay customs and immigrations there are no questions about the Thai vehicle. Just a quick search for import goods.
After Malay customs and immigration, I stop at the Malay land transport office and buy insurance and get a window sticker that allows me three months entry into Malaysia. Showing all the documentation (Original green book, English translation of green book. etc.) including a permission letter from my wife to use the vehicles in Malaysia and Singapore.
When I return to Thailand, both Malaysia and Thai customs search the car and bike for export/import goods but rarely ask to see any papers or books for the vehicles. When they have asked to see the vehicle book, they look at the Green book, look at the plate number, the small square road tax paper and wave me through.
I am crossing again in early October so I will see if things have changed since I crossed from Malaysia into Thailand in May this year.

Done the same more times than I remember also.. Sadao and Padangbasar..

Had a bust up on GT-R where I was slagged by the old boys network simply for questioning what law states you can only get 30 days on entry, which was being given as legal fact, as I know for 100% sure you can (if you stop, go to the office and ask for it) get 60 days on a non Thai bike in Sadao so it isnt a 'law' then is it..

As stated if you dont stop, you can just drive in and out without being questioned. Just fill in the entry and exit immigration cards and drive to the drive through counter. I once was stopped on the return Malay side and asked to see my cars blue book, but just by a guard ion the queue not at the actual desks.

Basically on the southern border I have never had any issues with temp entry and exit papers or demands. Its pretty much an open border outside of immigration.

Always wondered if I could manage to drive a UK car in via there..

LivinLOS - I have been granted 60 days several times too, if your Thai immigration visa is longer than 60 days and the Thai Customs official is in a good mood they will do it.

LivinLOS said:
Done the same more times than I remember also.. Sadao and Padangbasar..

Had a bust up on GT-R where I was slagged by the old boys network simply for questioning what law states you can only get 30 days on entry, which was being given as legal fact, as I know for 100% sure you can (if you stop, go to the office and ask for it) get 60 days on a non Thai bike in Sadao so it isnt a 'law' then is it..

My experiences crossing the Sadao border are all with a Thai registered bike and my Thai van.

When leaving Thailand there are no questions, papers or stopping. When entering Thailand, the custom seems to go into “it must be ok” mode, solely because they see a Thai number plate. There is, in the majority of cases, no questions or request to see papers.

They do want to search the carry space though, this is when using my van and they are looking for any taxable goods.

Last time I entered, I carried in, Blade forks, shock, spare Blade wheels with tyres fitted, 4 spare sets of used race tyres and many, many other small parts. I bought in my leathers, boots helmet.

They glanced at the items, asked if I had any “Motor or Engine” I said no and they waved me through. I always go through around 11 pm. They are tired and it is dark, they have to use a small torch to look at things. So the Thai authorities are just as bad with their interpretation of the used parts import tax.

I often use the web to buy stuff and I get slugged 40% at the post office. I bring in in my car and it cost nothing!!!

Crossing on the bike they always made me open my back pack.

It is a different story if you are bringing in a foreign registered car or bike. You then have to go through the process of filling in temporary import papers.

I discovered a very simple way to circumvent this paper work process in bringing into Thailand my Singapore registered bike permanently. But it does entail risks to continue to use it in Thailand.

The one issue I have with driving into Thailand is that I enter by getting an immigration stamp at the border as a tourist. They will only give 14 days.

Back
Top Bottom