Testing the depth in Cambodia

The Bigfella

Staff member
Bikes
KTM 613 EXC, BMW R90S & Dakar, MZ250, Norton 16H, Honda - 500 Fs & Xs, DRZs, XLs XRs CRFs CT110s etc
Hmm. 5:30am. Must be time to get up and ride

We're on a clockwise loop. Left Siem Reap a few days back.

I'll put some more together later... but here's Justin, testing the depth for us

026_zpsbe23df56.jpg

Plenty of these out there

017_zps3f06c976.jpg

Chatting to the lads who followed us in to Pol Pot's old house (watch out for hidden gun pits and bunkers)

057_zps67b3a87f.jpg

042_zps6a1043c7.jpg

At least the elephants here are friendly

028_zps1fd7f9aa.jpg

Looking great Ian, looking forward to some more pictures of the journey :DD

Gone quiet.
Water not too deep I hope; could't be for one of them.
How's it going guys?

Yeah... we're here. Don't know where the others are... we split off yesterday in Sen Monorom. They went via the dirt to Kratie... I nailed it down the tar to Phnom Penh. They ended up here last night too, but we haven't caught up... they might have already headed out.

My bike is in pieces.... trying to sort out a battery charging issue. If we can't sort it.... I head NW to CNX. If we sort it, I head south and then west to catch the guys. Its been an issue. A big issue.

I'll do a proper ride report when I've got my feet up and a beer in hand.

In the meantime... here's Justin, relaxing at the Jungle Floor Resort the other night.

All the traffic on the Death Highway slowed us down.... or maybe it was me crashing and flattening the battery (again) that did it

It wasn't too bad though.... Justin pulled a bird

There's a few snakes in the grass though - this is only the second Banded Krait that I've seen

Well, just that I'm stuck in a hotel room, writing a damn tender response. A bloke has to work one day in twenty, doesn't he?

I met up with Justin and Harry again yesterday evening, when we crossed paths in a small village. I'd just been up to the coffins and vases, they'd just done Smugglers Trail. They looked knackered... and warned me off doing it alone.

They are doing the coffins and vases today, so I'll hotfoot it to Kho Khong and across into Thailand.

My bike seems to be sorted, with another new regulator and a stator rewind.

One from yesterday. Much more to come

Mate, this huge guy was wishing he was 70kg lighter yesterday....

Here's a family of 4, plus dog, plus luggage that I rescued in the jungle... gave them a water bottle full of fuel.... then the buggers had the hide to sit on my tail on the trail out. They were flying

Speaking of flying.... I hired a guide to take me in to the jars and coffins site (support the locals)

He's in the process of dropping his scoot here.... its a lot steeper than it looks and he needed help to get it up the hill

Some of the jars... with me perched on a VERY rickety ladder.... one nail per rung end

OK... time to pack and try out the border issues

Wow, look forward to the complete trip report but looking at the pictures it will again be a ripper - love the picture of Justin with his bird

Ian, if you're in Ko Kong, any chance you can pick up a GPS for me?
I left it with Nick at Junglecross

good pictures and looks like it's been a good adventure !how to get to the elephant please?

found it thanks! ,but i guess is showing the main road through main entrance=$20..there is also another 'free' way ? btw i could find it on the Garmin but not on OSManD/tablet map.maybe something to do with the coordinates format (?)

I have not been there but it is on OSM as "Elephant Statue". N13.50541 E104.12799.

If you do not use OSM, here is the way from the main Phnom Kulen National Park entrance, at which they charge White people $20.

Way to Elephant Statue

Phil - I gave everything to Auke from the trip, routes, waypoints, tracks etc.. Touch base with him.

found it thanks! ,but i guess is showing the main road through main entrance=$20..there is also another 'free' way ? btw i could find it on the Garmin but not on OSManD/tablet map.maybe something to do with the coordinates format (?)

There is a path from the east from Svay Leu which is probably free. It is marked as a "foot path" on OSM and starts out half over grown and steep. This path is mentioned earlier in this thread. I am not familiar with OSMand so can't help you there :-(

Last edited:
There is a path from the east from Svay Leu which is probably free. It is marked as a "foot path" on OSM and starts out half over grown and steep. This path is mentioned earlier in this thread. I am not familiar with OSMand so can't help you there :-(

This is that foot path from the East

I backed out at that point, as I was only wearing shoes... my boots having fallen apart... and I was by myself, and with a front sprocket that had half its teeth gone. That's a reasonably steep shelf and it looked like there was plenty more of it to come... like about 20 km more. I'd happily tackle it with the right gear on (boots, knee braces).

looks nice! I 'll probably give it a try in the beginning of april.would be great someone in the area wants to join in ..

This is that foot path from the East

I backed out at that point, as I was only wearing shoes... my boots having fallen apart... and I was by myself, and with a front sprocket that had half its teeth gone. That's a reasonably steep shelf and it looked like there was plenty more of it to come... like about 20 km more. I'd happily tackle it with the right gear on (boots, knee braces).

I've been going back over some of my old Cambodian photos. Here's a few...

Toul Sleng, aka S21, is worth a look in Phnom Penh. Horrible, but should be seen.

The gallows wasn't used for hanging by the neck... rather, by the feet, with heads dropped into containers of fouled water

The beginning of the end for the Lake district. It was lovely... but its been "reclaimed" for development now. A real pity

One of my favourite temples... a bit of a way out at Banteay Srei, if I recall correctly

and another

.... and speaking of testing the depth... getting onto the water there is really worth it

Some more, randoms...

A snip from the video of the suspension bridge that tried to claim Harry. I was in big trouble soon after this... following too close to Justin. Harry was behind me and was looking for a landing spot

Thanks Phil. Here's a couple more.

Don't miss the military museum in Siem Reap... its a bit strange, with stuff in the long grass (take your mossie repellent)

I guess this one could be anywhere... but I'm pretty sure its Siem Reap

Do check out the bars that only the locals go to. There's some hidden surprises

How many temples are there? There's some real gems among them.... and on your own bike is the way to do it

A fine Aussie-funded bridge. Kampong Thom

Have I posted this lovely lass before? Who cares....

I keep finding 'em when I look back at my photos.....

Here's an unusual one. I like the colours (not modified... straight off the camera) and vista, but not what it represents.... Its four shots, stitched together

What it is, is the vista from the house at Anlong Veng of Ta Mok, also known as Brother Number Five, or alternatively, The Butcher.

He was one of Pol Pot's henchmen and finally, the last commander of the Khmer Rouge.... captured in 1999. The lake is essentially the moat around his house... an artificial lake built for defence purposes. There is an un-excavated site within four miles of there, in a still land-mined forest, containing 3,000 bodies of people executed during Ta Mok's "leadership" during the period 1993-97, for having become "corrupted".

So.... pretty, but pretty damned awful at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom