Taking out the cooling system thermostat in Asia

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Taking out the cooling system thermostat in Asia

After observing a stuck cooling system thermostat valve opening pin, when rebuilding a Suzuki DRZ 400 yesterday - started to make me think do we really need cooling system thermostats in bikes in Asia?

Bikes run so close to overheating all the time here, so the only time the thermostat valve is shut is on start up to heat the bike up quicker. It's just another thing to potentially cause you a problem in the middle of no-where.

thermostat.jpg

My uninformed speculation:

Thinking conceptually, removing a restricting element of the cooling system might make it flow more liquid than it was ever designed to push through the radiators even when fully hot (which may or may not cause problems - I have no idea).

But the "E" DRZ doesn't have a thermostat anyway I believe.

Then again, you have a fan on your DRZ S/SM which is probably controlled by the thermostat and I wouldn't want that running all the time if I could avoid it.

But you could always add a manual switch if you removed the thermostat.

Then again, you have a fan on your DRZ S/SM which is probably controlled by the thermostat and I wouldn't want that running all the time if I could avoid it.

The fan temperature sensor is separate and in a different location to the cooling system thermostat, that was one of the worries and isn't an issue, quite an interesting subject.

Mine is in, but I have thought the same.. Thermostats use is to allow the engine system to heat up quickly and effectively in a cold climate, if your never in a cold climate, if that is then a non issue, then why do we want or need them ??

I would have assume the fan is controlled by a temp sensor in the electronics, not the physical thermostat ??

thermostats are there to control the temp to a constant temp in cold conditions and are not used on mx bikes and they restrict the flow so taking them out is a good mod to get a bit more power as more flow means lower temp - more power.

The thermostat is there to encourage quick warm up and maintain engine temp at the correct temp in conjunction with the electric fan, if it's to cold the stat is closed, to hot and the fan kicks in pulling cool air through the radiator.

If you have no stat the engine may no get to it's optimum temp, especially if your on a high speed run with plenty of air passing through the rad...

There fitted for a reason.....I would leave it in there... :DD

Ktm Chris said:

But is the reason not for colder weather than Thailand has ??

I mean maybe that one time at DMS or somewhere way in the mountains early morning.. But in general ??

Mines still in, but I have thought it was un required before this thread.. now I am inclined to remove it.

The bottom line here is that the E doesn't have one so if you're at all inclined to remove it, go for it. It won't make any more power at all but it avoids a potential if unlikely failure.

The S/SM has a thermostat and a fan because they are road bikes and these make it a bit more user friendly.

LivinLOS said:
Ktm Chris said:

But is the reason not for colder weather than Thailand has ??

I mean maybe that one time at DMS or somewhere way in the mountains early morning.. But in general ??

Mines still in, but I have thought it was un required before this thread.. now I am inclined to remove it.

No overheating problems now Sef - may have been the thermostat sticking closed all along, with the new cyl head already on, we'll never know now, but all running well - great performance, you'll love it.

Leave them in I say, If there engineers thought it didn't need one, none would be fitted....

Change it when you change the oil if your worried bout it, there peanuts if it does fail in the jungle take it out and chuck it away, no harm done...

:DD

Ktm Chris said:
Leave them in I say, If there engineers thought it didn't need one, none would be fitted....

But is it not included for the cold weather market.. As pointed out its not included in the E model. So they didnt think it required then.

Today's cooling systems run with much less water, smaller water jackets extra, in order for them to run at an optimum temp and meet emission standards they need to run hot, in running hot they run efficiently.... :idea:

Cold weather effects warm up, it takes longer to heat up in the cold, if you have no stat it may never get to the desired temp...

If you want to take the stat out, take it out it's your bike...will not cause any real harm...

Perhaps you could half fill the system with water as well to aid quicker warm up... :hmm

If it aint broke, don't fix it...

:DD

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
2wheels Bike Talk 1
Back
Top Bottom