Suggestions on Laos route from Chiang Mai?

ABlaze

Bikes
CRF250L
I plan on heading out for a short trip, about a week now in late December through Laos. Will start in Chiang Mai and cross into Laos. Any route recommendations? I am primarily looking for offroad riding, but I will be riding alone, so moderate offroad terrain would be great. Some interesting loop in the north maybe ?

In case you leave Thailand through the Chiangkhong/Houayxai border crossing you could head south from Houayxai along the Mekong to Hongsa (Partly offroad and on road) and from there to Luang Prabang (offroad), Luang prabang to Phonsavan (offroad), Phonsavan to Vang Vieng (mainly offroad - possibly in 2 days) and from there again out of Laos (various options - with an offroad option).

In case you leave Thailand through the Chiangkhong/Houayxai border crossing you could head south from Houayxai along the Mekong to Hongsa (Partly offroad and on road) and from there to Luang Prabang (offroad), Luang prabang to Phonsavan (offroad), Phonsavan to Vang Vieng (mainly offroad - possibly in 2 days) and from there again out of Laos (various options - with an offroad option).

Thanks a lot! Will check it out.

Thanks a lot! Will check it out.

This is a rough overview of a 5-6 day trip (about 1100 km. from Houayxai to Paklay) through the north of Laos as described in my previous post. Overnight stops in Hongsa, Luang Prabang, Phonsavan, Xaysomboun or Vang Vieng (one long day or 2 shorter days) and Paklay. From Paklay you can cross back into Thailand through the Phu Du crossing to Uttaradit (west of Paklay) or the Thali crossing to Loei (south of Paklay)

Capture.jpg

This is a rough overview of a 5-6 day trip (about 1100 km. from Houayxai to Paklay) through the north of Laos as described in my previous post. Overnight stops in Hongsa, Luang Prabang, Phonsavan, Xaysomboun or Vang Vieng (one long day or 2 shorter days) and Paklay. From Paklay you can cross back into Thailand through the Phu Du crossing to Uttaradit (west of Paklay) or the Thali crossing to Loei (south of Paklay)

View attachment 57211

Thanks again Lone Rider! This is a great overview. Will definitely try parts of this route.

Back
Top Bottom