strange things happening to my boots

jon

When I first moved here, I brought over an old pair of Sidi Trials boots. It wasn't too long before they just fell apart, or at least all the plastic and rubber bits broke up. They did sit outside for a while at the back of the house. Anyway I then bought a new pair of O'Neal motocross boots here in Chiangmai. I kept these on the front porch, but not in the sun. They only lasted about 18 months and they completely fell apart. Again all the plastic and rubber bits just broke up. My brother came over from Australia and gave me his old trails boots he had been using for years in Queensland. Anyway a few months later and one boot started to break up, or at least the plastic shin guard part broke up into lots of little bits. I had it repaired and then put the boots away in a wardrobe, wrapped up in a plastic bag for the best part of a year. Last weekend I went out on the trials bike and within half an hour the other boot fell apart and again it was the shin guard and even the plastic covering the heels that went.
Am I the only one having these problems? I don't understand it. My first pair had lasted for over 20 years of abuse in the cold of Ireland and then just fell apart here. I thought it must be something to do with the heat and humidity over here, but then the pair I got from my brother had survived years of heat and humidity in Queensland. Strange?
My next pair will have to carefully chosen. Either that or start washing my feet.

Jon, I have seen the same around Malaysia and Thailand.
Amazed to see a guy break out his boots stored in plastic and watch all the plastic bits fall apart in the owners hand??? These boots only used a couple times. Duct tape to the rescue.
I have heard that Ozone will destroy plastic like this?

Alpinstar Tech 10s have been pretty good (better be for $600.)) However I find that after 1 season the water just comes gushing in at the smallest stream crossing. It seems the thick leather dries out between rides and starts cracking alowing the water in. In addition when the leather is dry, the boots are "stiff" and of course go "limp" when all that leather soaks up the first crossing.

I really like the Scotts, all man made materials, but they are "see through" no chance your feet will stay dry in those. Still looking for the ultimate enduro boot that will last more than a couple seasons.

It is bizarre how quickly boots get rooted here.

My Gaerne SG-12's look very secondhand already, the leather and stitching in particular takes a beating over here. The jungle is about as bad as it gets as a corrosive atmosphere.

Another pair of AS Tech7's started to fall apart at the sole, but they were glued together, not same as stiching and leather failing.

I use Dubbin on all the leather and stitching now, that does seem to help keep it supple and stop it drying out.

The plastic issue, I just don't understand. Just this year we put our riding gear in bags, put in in the car, drove 20km, unloaded the stuff and one pair of goggles just fell apart in my hands, only the lens remained and these had been kept in a box in the garage....Never before seen anything like that.

Glad it's not just me it is happening to. I have noticed the same thing happening to other things that I keep outside like those black plastic dustbins and plastic drawer units. I suppose I will have to look for a pair of boots with as much leather as possible, including the straps and maybe even with some kind of metal shin guards on them.

Jon -

I had a pai of Alpinestar Tech 8's here and after 18 months the plastic buck straps all disintegrated, cracked and fell to bits.

Luckily a friend used to work for Alpinestar corporate and manged to get them exchanged for me, wasn't easy though, was pretty pissed off as they were $500 boots.

I've looked carefully at the replacement ones they sent me and the straps do "seem' to be better quality, maybe this was a reoccurring problem.

Phil, sorry but I can't remember what you wrote in your post. I think I got a bit distracted with your avatar and the hope that the young ladies bra was made out of rubber or plastic and was going to fall apart at any minute. I think I should just go back and check.

jon said:
Phil, sorry but I can't remember what you wrote in your post. I think I got a bit distracted with your avatar and the hope that the young ladies bra was made out of rubber or plastic and was going to fall apart at any minute. I think I should just go back and check.

I might have to change it -it's way too distracting.

That seems to be a good solution, 270baht at kad suan kaew in one of the shoe shops.

Attachments

• shoefriend.jpg
    shoefriend.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 552
definitely a recurring theme, i had tech 6 and then sidi crossfires disintegrate in no more than a year. now i just buy a pair of cheapo thor boots to wear enduro riding and keep my nice astars for supermotard. :MJ :kat

I don't know much about the actual makeup of plastics and rubbers but it does seem to vary. Rubber and plastic parts on the cars, like window trim and bumpers seem to be able to take a lot of sunshine. So why not fittings and plastic on the boots? And Sargeant, how much do the cheaper Thor boots cost? I hate to show my age, but I can remember the excitement of the introduction of Dunlop Trials Wellies which were basically just rubber Wellington boots with steel toe caps, but with a nice looking ribbing on the front. Your feet kept dry, but the only thing protected were your toes and they also had a tendency to slip off if you had to put a foot down or paddle through any sticky mud. Then again if you put your foot into water you could stop and slip the boots off and pour it all out. Luxury, except for the wet freezing socks.

Back
Top Bottom