Still possible crossing into Laos by bike from Chiang Khong as a single rider ?

Uli

Bikes
KTM 990 Adventure, BMW F 800 GS, BMW G 650 GS, YAMAHA XT 500 BMW
Valued Forum,
as my long awaited trip to Laos comes nearer (january), I would like ask the latest status on crossing into Laos by bike.
I have heard about a group from Malaysia having problems to get in - but as far as I know there have been problems when crossing as a big group.
I plan to travel alone and would appreciate to get an update on if and where I can cross as a single biker......Chiang Khong would be my preferred crossing but other border-crossing can be used as well...if necessary.
Thanks
Uli

Hi,

Yes, it is still possible to cross by bike into Laos. Both Chiangkhong to Huayxai and north of Nan (Huai Kon to Mueang Ngeun) are possible but the latter is preferred. The reason for this is as the Chiangkhing to Huayxai crossing is cumbersome at the moment as bikes are not allowed over the bridge which was opened for traffic last week. So bikes still have to cross by Ferry which seems to be expensive and in both cases you will have to drive some 10-15 km. to have your passport stamped and the bike imporated/exported on a temporary basis.

This may change as the "powers that be" would have a meeting about bikes on the bridge but at present there is no news yer.

plus there now charging bikes 1,000 baht on the ferry vs the bridge which is 120,000 kip

thanks for the advice Kuhn Brake...but...

Uli, don't fotget to get a VRC for your bike, just in case Laos customs/immigration asks for it: http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...ng-thai-registered-motorcycles-into-laos.html
have another question then....
What is a VCR ??
I have a Singapore registered bike ?
So I will have
* my Singapore bike registration card (LTA log card)
* international driving license
* passport (of course)
* some $ to cross the Mekong River - which is one of my childhood dreams
Uli

Uli, if you follow the link I posted you will see it applies to Thai registered bikes only.
Singaporian bikes should be no issue.

I just come over the and bike went on ferry at 700baht. Taxi to bridge and then taxi to port, the guy at port just stamped my thai conveyance papers for bike and said thats it.... I'm thinking I need temporary import papers so will go back to bridge in morning.

700 baht for the ferry, bloody robbers, used to be 500 baht either by ferry or longtail before this bridge fiasco kicked in.

Am I right to go back to bridge to get temp inport papers for bike? I had my visa on arrival at laos but when I collected bike the guy said its ok? Dont seem right to me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Laos Information 3
Back
Top Bottom