Spot Messenger

Steve Canyon

Bikes
SMT990
I got one of these today, hope I'll never press the HELP button..let alone the 911

08102011483-M.jpg

Looks like you can send a few messages and others can track you, It's a gadget..

Anybody else carry one, had to use one?

:DD

What subscription are you paying a year to make it work?

Ktm Chris said:
I got one of these today, hope I'll never press the HELP button..let alone the 911

transparent_spot2.png

Looks like you can send a few messages and others can track you, It's a gadget..

Anybody else carry one, had to use one?

KTMphil said:
What subscription are you paying a year to make it work?

It's a 130$ for the annual subscription, plus another 49$ if you want to have the tracker function.

Not to bad for a little peace of mind..... :DD

I got the spot account set up for 150 Euros yesterday, that includes a tracking feature and the normal 12 month subscription.

It can update your facebook page as well as updating your Friends and Family as to your well being, no need to worry about calling the old lady at strange times of the night....

The tracking function allows people to track your progress and see where you at..

http://www.spotadventures.com/

Can anybody enlighten me as to what and how this works...GEOS Member Rescue Benefit

Looks like a good bit of kit...

Chris - if you pay for the GEOS provides 911/SOS monitoring and emergency dispatch they came get you when its gone pair-shaped with a press of a button

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=104

The Power Behind the Button
GEOS provides 911/SOS monitoring and emergency dispatch through the dedicated International Emergency Rescue Coordination Centre (IERCC) based in Houston, Texas.

The IERCC is manned 24/7 with dedicated and highly trained operatives who have access to emergency responders worldwide to ensure that in an emergency your situation will be dealt with efficiently and you will receive the resources you need. In fact, the average response time from the receipt of your 911/SOS message until referring an emergency responder is only 11 minutes, wherever you are in the world.

Once a SOS/911 message has been received, the IERCC calls your emergency contact(s) to make sure that it wasn’t a false alarm. They locate and notify an emergency responder, and then maintain an open line of communication, including providing updates of your location if needed. The IERCC will also keep your emergency contact(s) informed.

services_geos_04.png

The dedicated IERCC staff will always go the extra mile. If you upgrade your service to include the GEOS SAR Member Benefit and require it, GEOS will even locate a private SAR contractor and coordinate the SAR response. Only once you are safely out of harm’s way and being treated in a hospital (if necessary) with your family notified, does the IERCC stand down and declare the incident closed.

not a bad piece of kit, especially if you like travelling solo

Chris - if you pay for the GEOS provides 911/SOS monitoring and emergency dispatch they came get you when its gone pair-shaped with a press of a button

Was discussing this with some people that have Spot's, they seem to think when you press the help button in the poorer Asian countries, all that happens is that a phone call is made to the emergency services of your country of origin, ie they don't come get you.

Yeah i don't think international rescue will turn up, but at least you know where to find a body...xx

Ktm Chris said:
Yeah i don't think international rescue will turn up, but at least you know where to find a body...xx
[img=center:1k13wumf]http://www.thunderbirdsvintagetoys.co.uk/images/PlastoidBadge.jpg[/img:1k13wumf]

Steve who was riding a Yamaha WR 250X with us in south Laos has been using his Spot transmitter quite actively and it's quite impressive what it can do when used properly.

He's been having a friend monitor is his track data transmitted by the spot and been using the Spot/ Google maps software to show Steve's tracks

This map show's Steve's (our) tracks around Khong Island in south Laos transmitted by the Spot

spot 1.jpg

This one shows Steve's tracks between Pakse and Attapeu in South Laos on off-road route 18A

spot 2.jpg

One more of Steve's routes in south Laos, here using different map software

spot 3.jpg

Here showing a very detailed map in Vientiane, amazing the accuracy that can be derived

spot 4.jpg

One problem Steve told me with the spot, is that the people watching your position data expect you to keep moving. If say you stop for a few hours to fix something or rest, some watching your tracks may assume you have a problem and panic, quite an interesting problem with the device. I think there's an "I'm OK" signal button that transmits that message, I seem to remember Steve pressing it when we were stopped for a while.

I've set up a spot adventure page, once I get going I post it, look good

The wife knows where I am, part of the 1 month pass agreement...

Ktm Chris said:
I've set up a spot adventure page, once I get going I post it, look good

The wife knows where I am, part of the 1 month pass agreement...

Give us the URL of your Spot adventure page - will be interesting to see where Don takes you.

What happens if you accidentally press the "Help" button, as frequently happens with a mobile phone? There should be an "UnHelp" button or something.

Back
Top Bottom