Spares / repair kit for a BMW F 800 gs long distance tour.

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
10,000 km trip into the Mongolian desert, having the most likely repair parts with you is very important. You don't want to be waiting for a week for a Fedex package in the middle of nowhere, when its for an item that is know to be a weak link on that particular bike.

A friend had a contact at one of the biggest BMW parts dealers in the U.S , I gave him a list of what i thought would be best for a BMW F 800 gs, he then spoke to the best technicians and this was what he came back with:

As for your parts list, I went over it with a couple of our top technicians to get their view of what you’re likely to need or not need on your journey.
Notable comments were that you probably don’t need brake and shifter foot levers. The ones on the bike are quite resilient and can almost always be bent back into shape after a spill. Also, of the other parts you inquired about, they saw no need for any water pump parts or spare fasteners (nuts, bolts, etc.). The water pump is, unlike the ones on earlier models, a very robust unit and doesn’t really lend itself to repairing with serviceable parts anyway. The fasteners on the bike are not particularly prone to failure, and metric fasteners are easy to obtain almost anywhere in the world (except the US!).
The wheel bearings present a dilemma. They can be prone to failure – so a good idea to bring some along – BUT, they are almost impossible to get out of the wheel! Exceptionally difficult even for trained top mechanics in a fully equipped BMW service center, so imagine your luck by the side of the road or in some third world garage with a guy whose only tool is a big hammer. If there’s any good news in this, it’s that all four bearings are the same part (plus an additional one at the rear sprocket) so you could bring two spares which could be used front or rear, and maybe the sprocket bearing too, but then just hope you don’t need them. That’s barely confidence-inspiring, I know.
Strongly recommended also are a spare chain with master link (NOT BMW, but aftermarket, front and rear sprockets (also aftermarket), a spare set of cush drive rubbers, a shifting ratchet rod assembly - because when the bike tips over on the left the shift rod can easily bend and when it does, it binds up the transmission - and a clutch cover gasket. And a K&N air filter! Not the stock one – which they say is actually a better filter but once clogged becomes useless. A K&N will keep working when clogged and can be cleaned and reinstalled.As for your parts list, I went over it with a couple of our top technicians to get their view of what you’re likely to need or not need on your journey.
Notable comments were that you probably don’t need brake and shifter foot levers. The ones on the bike are quite resilient and can almost always be bent back into shape after a spill. Also, of the other parts you inquired about, they saw no need for any water pump parts or spare fasteners (nuts, bolts, etc.). The water pump is, unlike the ones on earlier models, a very robust unit and doesn’t really lend itself to repairing with serviceable parts anyway. The fasteners on the bike are not particularly prone to failure, and metric fasteners are easy to obtain almost anywhere in the world (except the US!).
The wheel bearings present a dilemma. They can be prone to failure – so a good idea to bring some along – BUT, they are almost impossible to get out of the wheel! Exceptionally difficult even for trained top mechanics in a fully equipped BMW service center, so imagine your luck by the side of the road or in some third world garage with a guy whose only tool is a big hammer. If there’s any good news in this, it’s that all four bearings are the same part (plus an additional one at the rear sprocket) so you could bring two spares which could be used front or rear, and maybe the sprocket bearing too, but then just hope you don’t need them. That’s barely confidence-inspiring, I know.
Strongly recommended also are a spare chain with master link (NOT BMW, but aftermarket, front and rear sprockets (also aftermarket), a spare set of cush drive rubbers, a shifting ratchet rod assembly - because when the bike tips over on the left the shift rod can easily bend and when it does, it binds up the transmission - and a clutch cover gasket. And a K&N air filter! Not the stock one – which they say is actually a better filter but once clogged becomes useless. A K&N will keep working when clogged and can be cleaned and reinstalled.

The gear shifting rod assembly is something I wouldnt have thought of & makes a lot of sense to take, the difficulty of getting the wheel bearings out is quite alarming.

Below is a cost estimate of the parts:

Screenshot (20) by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

more to come

Owned two F800GS in the past and always a good very idea to replace the upper rear shock bolt on a F800GS as they tend to bend under heavy load and extensive off-roading, damaging / bending the frame can be very costly and troublesome.
The OEM bolt is a 10.9 and can be replaced with 12.9 for added strength and security... nuff said'....

Will look into that Butch, thanks for the heads up.

Owned two F800GS in the past and always a good very idea to replace the upper rear shock bolt on a F800GS as they tend to bend under heavy load and extensive off-roading, damaging / bending the frame can be very costly and troublesome.
The OEM bolt is a 10.9 and can be replaced with 12.9 for added strength and security... nuff said'....

thanks for the heads up.

Well ~ wouldn’t trust MIC = Made In China mystery metal and a reliable supplier web-links below… nuff said’…

Upper Bolt http://www.mcmaster.com/#91290a643/=xflpi3
Lower Bolt http://www.mcmaster.com/#91290a632/=xflq5h
Washer http://www.mcmaster.com/#94316a440/=xflql1

Above bolts should fit the F800GS 2015 model year as no changes were made to the shock mounting / frames (F800GS various generations).
The lower rear shock bolt is usually fine and doesn’t need replacing.

Will look, thanks.

Well ~ wouldn't trust MIC = Made In China mystery metal and a reliable supplier web-links below… nuff said'…

Upper Bolt McMaster-Carr
Lower Bolt McMaster-Carr
Washer McMaster-Carr

Above bolts should fit the F800GS 2015 model year as no changes were made to the shock mounting / frames (F800GS various generations).
The lower rear shock bolt is usually fine and doesn't need replacing.

Attachments

• F800GSbolts.jpg
    F800GSbolts.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 415
Wheel bearings: "Exceptionally difficult even for trained top mechanics in a fully equipped BMW service center, so imagine your luck by the side of the road or in some third world garage with a guy whose only tool is a big hammer."
Hmmmm, with the reputation of Barcelona Motors this is going to be a future issue in Thailand I guess?

Wheel bearings: "Exceptionally difficult even for trained top mechanics in a fully equipped BMW service center, so imagine your luck by the side of the road or in some third world garage with a guy whose only tool is a big hammer."
Hmmmm, with the reputation of Barcelona Motors this is going to be a future issue in Thailand I guess?

Never had issues or difficulties re-greasing / replacing wheel bearings on older F8GS generations, doubt very much anything changed in terms of wheels / bearings with the F800GS upgrade after model year 2013 onwards...

The older generation BMW F800GS were known for little grease applied to wheel bearings coming from the factory...

That's an interesting list. I'd agree with some of it, but not all.
Here's my 2 cents (purely an opinion, based on riding my F800GS across Asia to Europe)

Regulator/rectifier - I didn't carry one. Worst case I'd have DHL'd one in if needed
Spark plugs - Makes sense
Brake pads - of course
Spare shifter/brake lever - I didn't carry them, swapped the stock ones for TT folding ones, and carried a small pair of vicegrips that can be Macgyvered into a shifter in desperate situations. The TT folding lever is soft and can be bashed back into shape with a rock anyway. Unlikely to completely snap off
Clutch/handbrake lever - I didn't carry them. A good set of barkbusters provides very good protection for the levers and the vicegrips can also be used as a replacement lever in a bind. Otherwise I'd carry these plastic ones as spares: http://touratech.co.nz/shop/brake-l...rgray-for-brembo-brake-and-brembo-clutch.html
Clutch cable - I wouldn't bother carrying one. It's not going to snap in the next 20,000km. If anything I'd carry one of these http://procycles.net.au/Merchant5/m...C&Product_Code=5524008&Category_Code=F800GS-X
Headlight globes - I wouldn't bother. The low & high beam globes are interchangable and the H7 can be bought almost anywhere in the world
K&N airfilter - excellent idea. The stock paper one clogs easily in dust
Wheel bearings, oil filter - Mandatory
Sprockets & chain!? - I wouldn't carry these for this trip. A 10,000km trip they are not going to wear out even in the worst conditions. I would carry a chain tool & a small length (8 or so links) of spare chain & a couple of master links. Sprockets & chain are very heavy to carry
Cush drive??? - I have no idea why these would be suggested as a travelling spare. Sure they are light, but take up alot of space, and they last forever.
Engine housing cover??? - I don't think this is the gasket. Not at $350.
Selector shaft.... Yeah, might be a good idea

A few things not on this list that I carried and certainly would again:
- Fuel pump bypass cable (bypasses the thermo cutout on the fuel pump, which is a known issue, allowing the pump to run continuously)
- Fork seals (I would def take these. They are known to blow on the f800gs when ridden hard offroad. Mine went)
- A handful of body panel screws. They fall out. Vibration

Just my opinion. I'm sure there are others that would disagree :-)

That a really intelligent list, thanks for posting this.. How many KM have you done on your F 800 gs now?

That's an interesting list. I'd agree with some of it, but not all.
Here's my 2 cents (purely an opinion, based on riding my F800GS across Asia to Europe)

Regulator/rectifier - I didn't carry one. Worst case I'd have DHL'd one in if needed
Spark plugs - Makes sense
Brake pads - of course
Spare shifter/brake lever - I didn't carry them, swapped the stock ones for TT folding ones, and carried a small pair of vicegrips that can be Macgyvered into a shifter in desperate situations. The TT folding lever is soft and can be bashed back into shape with a rock anyway. Unlikely to completely snap off
Clutch/handbrake lever - I didn't carry them. A good set of barkbusters provides very good protection for the levers and the vicegrips can also be used as a replacement lever in a bind. Otherwise I'd carry these plastic ones as spares: http://touratech.co.nz/shop/brake-l...rgray-for-brembo-brake-and-brembo-clutch.html
Clutch cable - I wouldn't bother carrying one. It's not going to snap in the next 20,000km. If anything I'd carry one of these http://procycles.net.au/Merchant5/m...C&Product_Code=5524008&Category_Code=F800GS-X
Headlight globes - I wouldn't bother. The low & high beam globes are interchangable and the H7 can be bought almost anywhere in the world
K&N airfilter - excellent idea. The stock paper one clogs easily in dust
Wheel bearings, oil filter - Mandatory
Sprockets & chain!? - I wouldn't carry these for this trip. A 10,000km trip they are not going to wear out even in the worst conditions. I would carry a chain tool & a small length (8 or so links) of spare chain & a couple of master links. Sprockets & chain are very heavy to carry
Cush drive??? - I have no idea why these would be suggested as a travelling spare. Sure they are light, but take up alot of space, and they last forever.
Engine housing cover??? - I don't think this is the gasket. Not at $350.
Selector shaft.... Yeah, might be a good idea

A few things not on this list that I carried and certainly would again:
- Fuel pump bypass cable (bypasses the thermo cutout on the fuel pump, which is a known issue, allowing the pump to run continuously)
- Fork seals (I would def take these. They are known to blow on the f800gs when ridden hard offroad. Mine went)
- A handful of body panel screws. They fall out. Vibration

Just my opinion. I'm sure there are others that would disagree :-)

Almost 70,000km. Cush rubbers still look fine :-). And they have been taken in and out more times than I want to remember.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M1Tanker BMW Motorcycles 2