South Laos January 2011 - Part 3

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
The route: Vangtao, Pakse, Champasack, Don Khong, Attapeu, Sekong, Tad Lo, Saravan, Pakse and Savannakhet

Attapeu to Tad Lo

After my waterfall day (see part 2) I needed a quiet day and what better to do than to have a look at the Phoukeua/Bo-Y border crossing to Vietnam and a few other things like the Xekaman 1 hydro power project. It is only about 110 km. from Attapeu along a nice winding road and with beatiful views.

GEDC0505docviewrd18B.jpg

GEDC0483docshortcut.jpg

GEDC0506docplentyofcurves.jpg

The last 30-40 km has lots of curves

GEDC0504docNewCustomsImmigation.jpg

GEDC0500docNewCustomsImmigration.jpg

The new Customs and Immigration buildings at Phoukeua

On the way back I made a small detour to the site of the Xekaman 1 hydro power project which will flood part of the Dong Amphan National Protected Area. The turnoff to the site is at N14 49.975 E107 13.280 and the road has for a large part reasonable good asphalt.

GEDC0509docXekaman1.jpg

The location of the Xekaman 1 dam

From Attapeu I took Road 9001 which runs from Xaysettha on Rd 18B to Paem and then continues further as an unpaved road to Chaleunxai and ultimately links with Rd 16 (Sekong to Dakcheung).

SaravantoSekong.jpg

Map showing Rd 9001 starting from Rd 18B and linking with Rd 16

Before setting off I needed to fill up with fuel which was quite a problem as almost all fuelstations were besieged by motorbikes as almost all of the stations had run out of petrol.
GEDC0511docAttapeurunningoutoffuel.jpg

In Paem the old Sam missile has been moved a bit from its old location under the trees to its present position along the asphalt road

Sam2byVitalysuper.jpg

The old location of the Sam Missile (photo by Vitalusuper)

GEDC0132docPaemrocket.jpg

Once past Paem the asphalt stops and the road continues as a nice unpaved road to Chaleunxai
Rd9001toChaleunxai.jpg

Road 9001 to Chaleunxai

Along the road were lots of people walking to various places and in no time the whole truck was loaded with kids and soldiers armed with heavy guns. At a junction a bit past Chaleunxai everyone got off to go south in the direction of Dakkanat while I went to the north to Ban Dakpok and Dakxum.
ExtensionofRd9001.jpg

North of Chaleunxai to Rd 16

A bit past Ban Dakgnok I took a turn to the west as Google Earth showed a road here but after a short while I got stuck in Ban Daksamo (Dakpok) with no way out as the trail became single track.

While backtracking I went past the Base Camp of an Alu Company as this area seems to have very rich bauxite deposits. Bit of a strange feeling as it is located in the middle of nowhere but did have a very "orderly feel" with cars lined up nicely in parking bays and "Emergency Assembly Point" signs, etc.

AluCompanyCamp.jpg

Alu company base camp

Luckily after some time found a track which was not shown on my Google Earth map but did look good and, as it was going more or less in a northerly direction, I took my chances.

ExtensionofRd9001.jpg

After a lot of probing along tracks which went in every direction I finally found the right one and it was a bit of relief to hit road 16 with a sign indicating the direction to Sekong
RoadsignatRd16B.jpg

From here it was about 60 km to the west to Sekong over "Highway 16"
RD16B.jpg

Along the road there were again numerous turnoffs to the left and right
GEDC0520docNorthtoBanDakdoungandNaveuQQQ.jpg

Turnoff to Ban Dakdoung and Ban Naveu to the north

Once I had crossed the Xekong river (ferry 35000 Kip for a car) and finished updating the GPS map for Sekong it was a quick dash to Tad Lo (Rd 16, Rd 1H and Rd 20) where I stayed in the Xaise resort (1000 Baht for a huge room with a view on the Tad Lo falls).

TadLo.jpg

Tad Lo falls a but further to the south of where I stayed and taken during a previous visit with much more water than now

Wonderful! Do you have the Long/ Lat of the Sam missile, it would make a great place for taking photo's with the bike?

KTMphil said:
Wonderful! Do you have the Long/ Lat of the Sam missile, it would make a great place for taking photo's with the bike?

The missile is smack along the asphalted road just past the bridge and then on your right hand side - N14 55.523 E107 02.898

Back
Top Bottom