South Laos into Cambodia - the best touring route

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Ted with the USD$ 20,000 Suzuki DRZ 400 has been in Chiang Mai for a couple of weeks. He's been living in Cambodia for the last 11 years and knows the region pretty well. Entering Cambodia from south Laos / 4,000 islands/ Dong Kralor, Laos - Stung Treng, Cambodia.

Take R 7 south & then R 78 east sign posted for Ban Lung, depending on your timing, you could stay in Ban Lung.

9624219843_3ff9a07a53_b.jpg

Before you reach Ban Lung, take the southern road which is a no-numbered, yellow road on the Gecko Cambodia map aiming for the town of Sen Monorem.

9624219415_b2d9f71317_b.jpg

Sen Monorem, is supposed to be a cool town, it's situated at 800 meters so for Cambodia it has a superb climate

From Wiki:

sen monorem.jpg

Senmonorom (also romanised as Sen Monorom) is the capital of Senmonorom District and Mondulkiri Province, Cambodia.
Senmonorom is the only major town in the province of Mondulkiri. With over 7000 inhabitants, 20 guesthouses, 12 restaurants, 2 bars and no post office, it is often compared to frontier towns in the old American west.
Senmonorom (and the Mondulkiri province in general) is inhabited by the indigenous Pnong people. Pnong tribesmen and tribeswomen are often seen walking along major highways. The town is popular with NGO workers, loggers, and tourists both from outside Cambodia and from Cambodia's capital Phnom Penh.[SUP][1][/SUP]
According to reports from Global Witness, the Mondulkiri province is facing a significant threat from illegal loggers attempting to exploit the area's virgin forests.[SUP][2][/SUP]
Due to rapid development, as well as mania caused by real estate speculation, land prices in Sen Monorom have boomed. Lots that cost $150 in 2008 went for three or four times as much two years later in 2010.[SUP][3][/SUP]
Sroh-Plom Mountain (translated as "Virtuous Woman's Breast Mountain") is a breast shaped hill located close to Senmonorom. Members of the Pnong ethnic group ascribe divine powers to the hill and every year hold festivals in the location.[SUP][4][/SUP]

• Nature Lodge, [1]. Bungalows and treehouses available, with or without private bathroom. The Nature Lodge is set in beautiful countryside about 10 minutes away from the main part of town; ask for a pick-up. Treks and tours can be booked at the front desk. There's a nice restaurant and bar as well. from $10. edit
  • Tree Lodge, Sen Monorom City Mondolkiri Province, ☎ +855(0)977234177, [2]. Tree's lodge is a small family place of Tree and his wife.Tree's lodge is a nice and quiet place in the middle of the jungle around Sen Monorom (10 minutes to the center and bus station by walking. For just 3$ you can stay in a beautiful selfmade bungalow. 3 dollars.

Restaurants

There is a good Khmer restaurant (Khmer Kitchen) close to "The Middle of Somewhere" and by the river Bananas owned by a Dutch lady is also very good however is closing soon due to a lack of customers and too much beer. The Greenhouse is a must for backpackers. It has a good vibe and a very friendly owner. He can arrange for tours and speaks good English. He is also employed by WWF and knows what goes on in the region.

From Sen Monorem, take R 76 SW towards Snoul, then R 7 west towards Kampong Cham. From there any easy ride down to Phnom Penh

9624219599_dfc6106189_b.jpg

Choices for exiting Cambodia are (this route not visiting Siem Reap/ Ankor Wat) to head west R 4 / R 48 and exiting at the Koh Kong border crossing into Thailand

9624220083_d7728a0758_b.jpg

If visiting Siem Reap/ Ankor Wat, from Phnom Penh, take R6 north

9624441067_672320b982_b.jpg

From Siem Reap/ Ankor Wat, its now an easy ride westwards to exit Cambodia at Poi Pet into Thailand

9624441273_c99eec0bd0_b.jpg

If going from Siem Reap towards Stung Treng border crossing with Laos. We need to do river crossing on ferry correct?

Going which way ? There is a bridge at Tebeng Menchey and at Kampong Cham. There is also a bridge from Stung Treng north. The bridge from Strung Treng to the west towards Tebeng Menchey is not finished yet.

If you are going via Preah Vihear City (former Tbeng Meanchey) to Stung Treng you have to cross Mekong on a ferry in Stung Treng. There ia a bridge under construction in Stung Treng but it is not passable yet.

If you go the longer and more boring way via Kampong Cham you do not need to go on a ferry.

My main purpose is to go to Stung Treng border to cross over to Laos from Siem reap. Will like a less hassle way. To board the ferry will be a bit troublesome. Unless unavoidable. Will I be able to clear the immigration and customs and head all the way straight to Savannakhet in 1 day from Siem Reap?

Of cause I will also like to drop by the 4000 island waterfall on the way. If I cannot make it to Savannakhet by night fall? Where would be a place to stop for the night? Pakse or?

From the border crossing (Cambodia to Laos) to Savannakhet is 400 km. on a boring 2 lane highway. Don't know how long/fast you want to ride but I would either stay on Don Khong (involves a ferry crossing) or in Pakxe.

Lone Rider, I am only worries about the time issue. Whether I can make it from Siem Reap to Pakse before night fall. With a short stop over at the 4000 island waterfall. I read in the forum about how slow the guys at the immigration works so need to think if it is possible. If not will stay a night at Stung Treng and cross the border in the morning.

If you haven't much experience in Cambo riding long distance on the main roads, strongly suggest a stop somewhere. You will get run off the road by overtaking buses,vans and trucks. No one gives way to bikes. It maybe surfaced road and appears to be easy but the traffic is unpredictable, pls don't just look at the map and judge the time on distance.

Harry, I understand the unexpected situation many will faced in Cambodia and Laos as I had read through the forum. I had planned a few contingency stop along the routes of Cambodia and Laos. Thanks for the head up...

The long route via Kampong Cham bridge to the border from Siem Reap is 670 km.

The shorter via Preah Vihear City is 370 km. The road from Preah Vihear city to Stung Treng is probably still under construction in places but it was very drivable a year ago already. This route you can drive in one day and have time to cross the border the same day.

I have crossed that border crossing two times and both times were hassle free and fast.

Is it worth to drive an extra 300 km to avoid one short ferry?

All the way to Savannakhet in one day is probably too much.

Pakxe has loads of guesthouses.

Thanks. Then I guess I shall go to Pakse via the Preah Vihear City route.

Coming from Preah Vihear City (Tebeng Menchaey) towards Strung Treng , the last section maybe about 5-10 kms is very flat graded dirt road (Jan 2014) direct to the bridge (not complete) . You have to turn off the main road to the left just before the Mekong to get to the ferry landing.It is very easy to miss the turn in the dust. The official ferry toll is 5,000 but you will get asked for 10 or 15,000 ( barang price). Have fun.

Thanks. Then I guess I shall go to Pakse via the Preah Vihear City route.

Pakse is a good place to spend the night.

If you are beat after crossing the border there is a motel/guesthouse, "Khonephapheng Hotel", 8 km into Laos after the border on the left side. Close to Khong Phapeng Waterfall.

The Khong Phapeng waterfall is the same as the 4000 island waterfall? Thanks for the info Nightrider.

Back
Top Bottom