Soon To Be SE Asia Riders!

Sherrie

Just wanted to say hello, we are looking at being in Thailand by the end of the month and motorcycling (although maybe we downgrade it to a scooter, we shall see) south east Asia for 5 or 6 months. Thought I would say hello before I jump on asking tons of questions!

We are Patrick and Sherrie, and we are on a RTW trip from Stuttgart, Germany (where Patrick is from) to Newfoundland, Canada (where I am from).

The original plan was just a stopover in Thailand with my parents while our motorcycles shipped from Korea to South America. But motorcycle trips never stay the same, and for the price of shipping we can buy new. So now we are selling our bikes and re-planning from scratch.

But we heard so many great things about biking in Asia we thought why not make our beach holiday part of our trip and ride in the area!

:-)

If beaching is part of it assume southern destinations are the plan ??

If so whats the schedule and locations.. Might have some spots to check.. Spent 10 years down south.

Hi guys,

We are really looking forward to it! We have a guy coming tomorrow to buy our bikes, and if all goes well with the paperwork we will be on a plane by Saturday at the latest! Although we may have a 2 week stop over in Korea, we will decide that when we book.

At the moment we are completely open. My parents will meet us for 3 weeks in November, and then we will spend time on Koh Lanta and Koh Chang. The original plan was that we would be shipping our motorcycles from Korea at that point and we had no plan other to rent some scooters.

But since we are selling the bikes our entire itinerary for the trip has changed, and the more I look into riding in South East Asia the more replacing South America with Thailand, Laos and Cambodia seems less a consolatory prize and more the better choice to begin with!

Although we are seriously considering the Wave as opposed to another Enduro bike.

So any ideas on great places to ride, or what to buy, are very welcome! This plan is just coming together in the past few days, so we are scrambling all over the internet looking for info!

Some would say the Wave is the best bike...

No matter what your on, it's a fantastic ride..

Good luck and have fun... :RO

Sherrie

I would highly recommend you look at a Honda Sonic "scooter" -- click the link below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Sonic

1. It has the proven CBR 125 4 stroke engine

2. 5 speed gearbox with real clutch

3. The RS "Super Sonic" model has mag wheels - tubeless tires

4. Parts and repairs piece of cake in Asia

5. Can be picked up cheap in good condition .... try the Mae Jo, Chiang Mai bike market on Sunday mornings --see the link below:

mae-jo-chiang-mai-sunday-motorcycle-market-t763.html?hilit=mae%20jo%20motorcycle%20market

Spoke to Rod Page today - he told me he sold his Honda Sonic 2 days ago for 30,000 Thai Bht in great condition.

Hondasonic.jpg

800px-Honda_nova_sonic_rs.jpg

Specifications

Top speed: 135-140 km/h
0-100 km/h: 10.2 seconds
Maximum RPM: 11,500
Compression ratio: 11:1
HP: 13.5 bhp (10 kW) @ 10000 rpm
Brakes: Disc brakes (front and back)
Transmission: 5 speed manual
Valves: 2
Aspiration: Carburetor keihin VK28
Fuel tank: 4.2 litres (unleaded)
Weight: 102.5 kg (electric start model)
Cooling: Liquid
Fuel consumption: 82 mpg imperial (3.4 L/100 km)
Latest Model: 2006-2009 (Newest motorbike in Nova Sonic Family)

replied in the othe thread.. but 100% agree with the advice.. Sonic is a perfectly able little machine.

Sherrie,

I'm curious as to if your F 800's are in Korea, if they are, let me know as I may have someone that will buy both from you!

Jim

KTMphil,

Thanks a million! (Is it wrong that the fact it has a real clutch is what has me sold!). But the "scooter" that rides like a bike seems so much appealing to us for both the money and the travel experience. I also answered over on the other thread first, but we are looking at spending a couple of months just enjoying the riding, giant bikes are not needed.

Jim, our 650's were just sold today, but in Mongolia. We then booked our tickets, we fly into Bangkok on the 21st, but we fly out of here on Tuesday. For 30 Euro more we had the option of a 2 week stop over in Seoul, and so we decided to take it! If the person wants to meet up for beer and to discuss riding however we are available!

Sherrie

Also from an engine braking aspect, the geared sonic makes sense here, especially where I would have thought you'll be headed

Sherrie said:
KTMphil,

Thanks a million! (Is it wrong that the fact it has a real clutch is what has me sold!). But the "scooter" that rides like a bike seems so much appealing to us for both the money and the travel experience. I also answered over on the other thread first, but we are looking at spending a couple of months just enjoying the riding, giant bikes are not needed.

Jim, our 650's were just sold today, but in Mongolia. We then booked our tickets, we fly into Bangkok on the 21st, but we fly out of here on Tuesday. For 30 Euro more we had the option of a 2 week stop over in Seoul, and so we decided to take it! If the person wants to meet up for beer and to discuss riding however we are available!

LivinLOS said:
replied in the othe thread.. but 100% agree with the advice.. Sonic is a perfectly able little machine.

Oh yeah, that's why the Wikipedia has this caveat huh? " The Honda Sonic is unavailable in Malaysia and Philippines due to designs and safety regulations."

I wonder what those regulations are? You can accelerate too fast maybe?

Back
Top Bottom