Sonax MoS2 oil on an O ring chain

samuttodd

Bikes
CB 500X
Hey everybody I got a quick question about lubricating the chain on my CB 500 X. The man at the bike shop where I bought the bike suggested sonax MoS2 Oil, but I look at the label and I can't tell if it's safe upon O-rings or not.

You folks in s.e. asia have probably run across the stuff before and I wanted to see what your vote was for it. I'm going to go over the chain with the light wipe of WD-40 and let it dry off and then I want to put a light layer of lube for the exterior rollers but I don't want to use some thing that's going to eat up the o rings.

Please advise, thanks for your help

Last edited:
Lot's of myths around lubing an O ring chain, the chain lubes you see for sale in Thailand are all suitable for O rings, Motul i have found the best but at a price. Personally, i just use gear oil, it comes in a small bottle and easy to apply, ok it does get a little messy but does the job, the biggest enemy to chains is rust, so a light spray with WD40 will help chase away and water before lubing your chain.

Just a note, lube the chain from the bottom as it turns clockwise centrifugal force helps spread the oil through the links.

Thanks Bob, will do. How the heat up north? It has been pretty brutal down here. The other day the Ambient temp went 116*. Makes it hard to suit up to get on the slab when you are soaked with sweat.

Hot as hell, just got back from a trip to Laos, it was brutal in the heat, was hoping to lose some weight but the increase in beer intake killed that idea.

Take a look at this, blows away some of the myths.

Back
Top Bottom