Short trips on my CB500x part 2

2 Days around Ubol Ratana Reservoir

Day 1, part 1

The Ubol Ratana Reservoir is quite big and I had been looking at it on the map for a while. So after a bit of route planning and looking for places to visit the trip was on
I got my usual coffee from our coffee shop and left for a 2 day trip.

3wyze4k.png

fBSkO3R.png

First was a blast down the 12 towards Khon Kaen for about 45 km then I turned North at Don Mong to do the Eastern and Northern sides of the reservoir

I wanted to go to the view point which overlooked the reservoir but once I got there it was closed for maintainance, and it was in a national park so that would have meant extortionate prices for non Thai’s. But it would have been good to go and have a look, there is also a rock cluster there. Although the day was quite hazy so the view might not have been that great.
National Park and Viewpoint entrance N16.61150, E102.60469, on the 5035

nC0cArV.jpg

Nong Ruea⁩, ⁨Khon Kaen⁩

m8WT2NI.jpg

9oRh4UN.jpg

ragajin.jpg

‎⁨Nam Phong National Park⁩, ⁨Ban Fang⁩, ⁨Khon Kaen⁩

mbTQ9hL.jpg

I20Lndd.jpg

3oRku1j.jpg

gxLNbhI.jpg

There were a lot of campsites on the eastern side along the 2063 but to be honest they were all pretty bare and did not look inviting.
I did pull into one of them to get near the edge of the reservoir.
The riding was good however and it’s always good to get out on the bike.
Campsite N16.59465, E102.57194, one of many

z35ltZn.jpg

‎⁨Nam Phong National Park⁩, ⁨Nong Ruea⁩, ⁨Khon Kaen⁩

P2oPIVD.jpg

5xv1Uxi.jpg

ZOQwHhm.jpg

VskH9pt.jpg

Viewpoint on the 2063, N16.61994, E102.57236

EY3rE2h.jpg

CIT0UJx.jpg

Wayne

Day 1, part 2

I stopped at the Nam Phong National Park Visitors Centre. The place was nice, lots of places to sit and relax, they had a little coffee shop.
N16.62531 E102.56969

aJ2gVzg.jpg

‎⁨Nam Phong National Park⁩, ⁨Nong Ruea⁩, ⁨Khon Kaen⁩⁩

W2MuKYi.jpg

iltR73I.jpg

OhhvyYZ.jpg

pT1TTcB.jpg

cGlXKNL.jpg

xjU2ffu.jpg

o0XA1Ti.jpg

Next up was the Ubol Ratana Dam, N16.77035, E102.62248 It's. pretty much the same set up as the Chulabhorn Dam which I have been to. There is a viewing area and a restaurant/coffee shop

C4NZdCY.jpg

‎⁨Ubolratana⁩, ⁨Khon Kaen⁩

cJqiYZx.jpg

NIAGBmk.jpg

1diyYC9.jpg

pzYQr9Y.jpg

ZllzpIi.jpg

XJe005U.jpg

rtTW4ml.jpg

On route I had planned to stop at a Sky Walk on the 2146, but, it was closed also. They did let me into the car park to take a couple of photos though and it was still a bit hazy.
Sky Walk N16.80061 E102.61346

i9TfM2q.jpg

‎⁨Phu Kao-Phu Phan Kam National Park⁩, ⁨Non Sang⁩, ⁨Nong Bua Lam Phu⁩⁩

NlbcwV2.jpg

41jPFEx.jpg

Then is was a stop off at Noi's Kitchen for some food and a drink. I have been before. The place is nice to visit, owned and run by an English expat and his Thai wife, food is good, a mix of Foreign and Thai, Wednesday and Fridays they have live music in the afternoon
Noi's Kitchen N16.86693 E102.40200, นภ. 3002, Non Sang, Nong Bua Lam Phu 39140.

WgehHLJ.jpg

smOhwxS.jpg

GHlWMuH.jpg

Noi's Kitchen
Noi's kitchen restaurant, Thailand - Restaurant reviews

Fed and watered I moved on to my accommodation for the night, which was about 10 minutes down the road.

Nuch's Apple Guest House
N16.89444, E102.36486

The link takes you to places to stay

Wayne

Last edited:

Day 2

Late evening and into the night there was a big thunder storm over the area I was riding. Oh well I could be getting wet tomorrow!
The thunder storm had stopped and the roads were quite dry and the sun was coming out
After my nice breakfast at the guest house it was time to set off.

Gye09A1.png

4kHQZq2.png

There were a couple of inland beach areas I was planning to visit on the ride down the western side of the reservoir
My route I had hoped to take had to be changed on the hoof as I was going to take some tracks to stay a bit closer to the reservoir however due to the storm last night they were still wet so I stuck to the roads instead.

3U7cWgg.jpg

Nong Na Kham⁩, ⁨Khon Kaen⁩

Db5lbbS.jpg

xs9KPdt.jpg

Phu Wiang⁩, ⁨Khon Kaen⁩⁩

H2qx8Ry.jpg

First up was Sawan Beach N16.67930 E102.56901, some nice scenery and the view to the hillside on the otherwise of the reservoir would have been great if it wasn't so hazy

KcSa0Hr.jpg

‎⁨Sawan Beach⁩, ⁨Phu Wiang⁩, ⁨Khon Kaen⁩

OTKFeJY.jpg

KgEW2pP.jpg

wBBxqT9.jpg

kfexokf.jpg

From Sawan I headed towards Pattaya 2 beach, N16.63727 E102.54569, nothing like the Pattaya some of you may know! There were more people milling about and going to the loungers on the edge of the reservoir, plus some areas for food. Not a bad set up if you fancy a basic day out.

95TxNzO.jpg

Pattaya 2⁩, ⁨Phu Wiang⁩, ⁨Khon Kaen⁩⁩

ysL5sJQ.jpg

The loungers along the edge of the water

A5gzRHO.jpg

xlPNkXc.jpg

Looking at the food stalls/ outdoor eateries

q3q8EMQ.jpg

zcryffB.jpg

Laab Moo (Spicy minced pork) with sticky rice

Once I left Pattaya 2 it was time to head further south and onto the 12 for the direction of home.

pImCYfo.jpg

‎⁨Phu Wiang⁩, ⁨Khon Kaen⁩

pLWP1fz.jpg

Ubolratana Dam Reservoir⁩, ⁨Nong Ruea⁩, ⁨Khon Kaen⁩

J6Tkcvh.jpg

5cDEPOc.jpg

iwwx6FA.jpg

iMvI2NQ.jpg

This trip was not as interesting as some of my others, however it's time on the bike and seeing new places. Its also one of the local places I have wanted to look around so all in all a good 2 days.
373Km covered door to door

Wayne

Much better photos than I would have expected Wayne. Its nice to actually see someone getting out on their motorbike and going for a decent ride.

Much better photos than I would have expected Wayne. Its nice to actually see someone getting out on their motorbike and going for a decent ride.
Thanks
I don’t see the point in having a bike and leaving it parked up all the time, I wish I could get out on it more

Wayne

I only have an electric trike at the moment but I hope to get a Honda Click three wheeler in a few months time because my Stroke. I take the electric trike out for two hours a day six days a week, I will never stop riding all the time I am still breathing, I am like you Wayne and dont understand people who dont ride.

I only have an electric trike at the moment but I hope to get a Honda Click three wheeler in a few months time because my Stroke. I take the electric trike out for two hours a day six days a week, I will never stop riding all the time I am still breathing, I am like you Wayne and dont understand people who dont ride.
I hear you mate, hope you get on well with Click 3 wheeler when you get it

Wayne

Back
Top Bottom