Self Reliance Off-road

The Bigfella

Staff member
Bikes
KTM 613 EXC, BMW R90S & Dakar, MZ250, Norton 16H, Honda - 500 Fs & Xs, DRZs, XLs XRs CRFs CT110s etc
I remember - years back - blindly following a GPS track that got me into some strife because that particular track had been bypassed and things got quite sticky. Yesterday though, our Operations Manager, Deere, was out scouting some new tour routes and found himself in a spot of bother. He did exactly what I did on the same bike a few weeks back, up on the Jesus Trail.... a tree root strike punted him sideways and off the track. He was riding by himself and the nearest people were a 10 km walk away. Nothing for it but to sort it out himself. The only damage was a busted camera mount.

He's a very handy guy 🍻🏅

This has reminded me to ask anyone here .....

Sometimes we probably all ride solo in a whole range of environments. Personally, that's the way I prefer to go.

However, doing so has its obvious risks.

For example, if a rider finds his/her leg stuck under a fallen bike and is unable to extricate the leg from under the bike what can be done?

Wondering if there's a light-weight device that could be carried in an accessible position on the bike and used to lift the bike that critical few centimetres so the limb can be pulled out from under the bike.

Does anyone know if such a device or have an alternative method?

When I fell off the same bike on the Jesus Trail, it trapped my leg... the bike was still front wheel up the hill, but the bike was beyond the horizontal - tank down - with me unable to get out. Gordon heard me going beserk with the horn and came back and lifted the bike off. I'm fairly certain I could have kicked the bike off - if I'd had to - but its a new bike and hooking into it with a boot would likely have done some damage to the seat / tank / plastics.

The only other time I've been trapped under a bike was a TY250 trials bike - back in the late '70s. I was trying to get over a long string of fallen pine tree logs... and failed. Up in the pine forest on the side of Mt Canobolas - near Orange NSW. I used to ride alone up there all the time - it was my weekend back yard. This was the first and only time I ever rode it with another guy.... and I fell. My legs got into the equivalent of an Indian death lock - I simply could not unlock the way my boots were locked together... and the exhaust was doing some damage to my leg too. If I'd been alone then - I'd have been there until someone came along.. maybe years later - a bit like the guy whose bike and skeletal remains were found off the trail on Doi Suthep a year or so back. One of our survival training recommendations - carry a plastic whistle... where you can access it if trapped under your bike.

1645901412402.png

Don't leave home without my inReach mini since they arrived on the market, no excuse to not have communication on any trip. Every year happy to have it just to inform family when a situation has happened in an area we are ridding or hiking, to let them know its not us. There's far more area here in Canada without cell service, but now that we've have chats with friends also in remote areas. Very cheap, practical insurance. Plus we can navigate

Back
Top Bottom