Seat cushion ideas

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
After Gary's expensive Airhawk seat cushion failed, he came up with the ingenious idea of trying a partially inflated neck travel pillow, he says it's as good as the Airhawk, brilliant idea.

10857d1350702114t-around-world-riders-stopping-bar-chiang-mai-2012-10-20_095046.jpg

There's even a nice little gap in the middle for your sack.

Can't beat the old sheepskin!

Kinda got a bit dirty and worn over the years!!

Attachments

• P9250610.jpg
    P9250610.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,174
  • CM2005.jpg
    CM2005.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,127
The locals use a mesh cover to aircon their arses

I've only tried it for 5 mins around town and you can feel the breeze between the seat and your backside.

Might be good for long highway stints . Dryness (avoiding sweat) = comfort usually.20121020_111127.jpg

Cost $5, made in Vietnam.

Attachments

• 20121020_111201.jpg
    20121020_111201.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 689
  • 20121020_112112.jpg
    20121020_112112.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 572
  • 20121020_112857.jpg
    20121020_112857.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 510
I tried this one a couple of years ago in Vietnam. My Zinda was giving me major leg problems.... and a cushion from a furniture shop got the knee angle down... slightly. Had trouble with luggage straps too.

IMG_2502.jpg

Could've used the 525 in the slop

I've only tried it for 5 mins around town and you can feel the breeze between the seat and your backside.

Might be good for long highway stints . Dryness (avoiding sweat) = comfort usually.View attachment 10861

Are these available in Chiang mai guys as would like to try one on my CRF

After Gary's expensive Airhawk seat cushion failed, he came up with the ingenious idea of trying a partially inflated neck travel pillow, he says it's as good as the Airhawk, brilliant idea.

They work good but don`t last long before they blow out from my experience.

I have used a inflatable Exped seat pad before for long hauls, attached with some bungees.

I tried that idea for the long slab parts of rides on the 525.

667536467_JR7Cn-L.jpg

Upside is it packs small when not in use. Downside is it sprung a leak after using it three times. My ex wife road passenger on the back of my KLX for 10 days on one that lasted the whole trip. After I used it twice it sprung a leak......must be my pointy arse.

Might be good for long highway stints . Dryness (avoiding sweat) = comfort usually.

I have one of these on my FZ150i, purchased in Penang, Malaysia. I have just completed a circumnavigation of Thailand (Penang, Phuket - around Thailand - back to Phuket) Some 7000+ Kilometres in 19 days (14 on the road) so there were several 600km days on a 150cc. With 54 years of motorcycling experience, the net has my absolute recommendation. I understand that they may be available in Lotus Tesco and I intend to check this out here in Phuket. Cheers

+1 on that, i have one fitted for a while now and they keep your bum nice and cool and also drain the water from the seat of your pants on deep water crossings, got mine from one of the bike shops next to the Chinese market in Luang Prabang 400 baht fitted.

Previous thread from Feb 2013

ai Yent seat cover

Seat cover for Honda PCX
- Innovative of seat cover for improved air-flow and comfort solutions
- Easy to install with 2 velcro, just wrap over your seat
- Seat cover is so smooth, soft and comfortable
- Fit with your motorcycle seat

More information:
Hai Yent seat cover (Thailand)
188/237 Suthathip 9 , Kho-Hong, Hat Yai, Songkhla 90110 THAILAND
Tel: 074-555294, 08-9467-6225, E-mail: mocyccoolseat@gmail.com
Fanpage: www.facebook.com/pages/Motorcycle-seat-cover/123623017763731

Not sure if you could sit on it Ron, but i guess the Aussie translation for seat cushion may differ ?

Another vote for the sheepskin.

I also made a custom seat to my Africa twin before making my souht east asia tour.
the seat is hard on an AT! and moreover, I had prefer to lower it because I feared to be a bit short. Im 172cm, and the seat height is exactly half my size at 86cm...
So I purchased a pad on this shop
Pro Pad Polymer Inserts
then I went to a seat shop in Singapore, I got my seat lowered by 2cm roughly (we can briefly assess on some pics there http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...8-7000-km-south-east-asia-my-africa-twin.html)
then they dig inside the remaining foam to place the gel pad I bought from overseas ( the padcan so easily be cut off to fit exactly the size you need.

Then they replace the cover (easily done in asia)

I rode more than 7000km in 1mth, some days for more than 6hours on my bike. Not a single pain! While sometime after 2h on some other bike, my back is broken and no mention of the lower part!
roughly, the whole operation cost me USD 100 ...

Am in Chiang Mai looking for seat rebuild options for my fat arse so more user friendly on long trips.

Was pointed to http://goo.gl/maps/cDPZu who wanted 700 baht to add 25mm thick (looks like recycled medium density foam).
08 4609 1247

Then Nat - @ Piston Shop suggested I go see Narong (on Chiang Mai-Lampoon Rd 100 metres past iron bridge (near Rimping Supermarket).
Narong removes the foam cast and starts to rebuild using different layers of the same foam to create what shape you like (eg. was a DRZ with a wide and quite thick soft seat) followed by a 10mm layer of yellow softer foam before stitching on a new cover - was quoted 2500 baht. Has nice examples of custom products in his shop. See http://goo.gl/maps/mn0OR

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 394
Everybody knows Narongs work is good but his prices have risen along with his popularity

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

2,500 baht?! YG2BK!

I had several seats of 135cc Nouvos rebuilt in Phuket and they're bigger than a CRF seat. A guy in a small shop, doing car seats and furniture upholstery, cut out the compressed old foam, asked me how much and where I wanted to add new foam, then glued on a layer the above pictured colorful harder foam, then softer yellow foam on top of that; cut everything into shape while I was watching, then scraped it with a lid with holes in it to produce the perfect shape. Wrapped everything in a thin plastic foil so it won't get wet, sewed up a new vinyl cover in two different colors of my choice. All clean work, the foam lasted for years, and I paid - 300 baht!
The guy was also very quick - it took maybe 45 min including taking off and installing the hinged seat.

Had to look around a bit after some expensive mediocre jobs and was very happy when I met him!

I can ride up to 100km on my CRF without pain in the butt but for the 500km trip to Phuket I needed something between me and the seat.

I went to an upholstery shop and for 100 baht got this thin black foam which is relatively dense.

Didn't bother to cut it in shape, just threw it on, it worked fine!

trip Oct 13.1.jpg trip Oct 13.3.jpg

You could always get one of these and fill it with the liquid of your choice...

waermflasche.jpg

:)

I can ride up to 100km on my CRF without pain in the butt but for the 500km trip to Phuket I needed something between me and the seat.

I went to an upholstery shop and for 100 baht got this thin black foam which is relatively dense.

Didn't bother to cut it in shape, just threw it on, it worked fine!

View attachment 25614 View attachment 25615
Thump,

Found your post as I searching for a great seat upholstery guy in PHUKET / HKT for my CRF seat.

Any updates for a shop that can cut and insert a softer, wider and bum friendly seat for me? Maybe a Seat Concepts copy?

Will be flying to PHUKET / HKT for short getaway on July 21, 2019.
Thought of carrying my seat there to get it modified.

Do suggest. Thanks.

Richard

Last edited:
We have an absolute genius at seat remodelling in Chiang Mai, maybe put up an Ad in the Phuket Gazette or one of the several large Facebook motorcycling groups would surely have some local members who can help out.

Just messaged Narong asking if he would consider EMS.

He declined, as the customer he suggested would want to test the result of the mod.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Maoser Bike Talk 6
Back
Top Bottom