Scootering it in Vietnam, more fun than it sounds

Fried bowels washed down with a chilled glass of Gecko wine, what more could you ask for !!

Now, where was I? Out at Dien Bien Phu. Here's another rural view from my run out to the Laos border to bail out the Italians, stuck in no man's land.

IMG_3107.jpg

I can't remember whether I mentioned it, but I had a really close call in one of the villages on the way out. Two young lads pulled onto the road straight in front of me and I went past them, back wheel locked up (no front brake, remember?)... with a huge "F@$k You" yell... and discovered that they spoke some English swear words too. Geez it was close.

Definitely nice, open rural lands in that part of Vietnam

I've found some notes I made at the time, so I'll include them here, even though it covers a little bit that I've already put in this thread.

My derriere called it quits as I neared DBP and I checked into the hotel that subsequently had a foyer full of women…. Tomorrow, I head towards Hanoi, instead of away from it.

So - the past two days. Think of the mud on the Western Front in WW1 - Flanders….. I had 30km of that. Two thirds last night, in the fading light, rain and dark - and the last 10km today. That 20km (12 miles) last night took me 75 minutes - pushing as hard as I dared. Many close calls - at slow speed, with the bike sliding all over the place and damn near submerged in mud and water. I ended up following a slower local, but with better lights (and local knowledge) into Muong Lay and was ever so grateful to find there was a hotel… and that they had a room. There were four French people there who had taken two days to get there from the same starting point (SaPa) on some hired Minsk motorbikes - which are better suited to these conditions.

I had a local cop point me out to stop in some random village…. I was overtaking a local on a corner… then his finger swung from me to the local and I was somewhat relieved. Rick, my friend in Hanoi, tells me that they don't like pulling over foreigners.

Hey - new experience today - on the way back from the border… which is about 1150m above sea level, coming back down to Bien Dien Phu which is a bit under 400m - I was coasting in neutral with the engine off…. and I overtook a big dump truck. Its a one lane road, so I had to do it on the rock verge… The truck driver was impressed … gave me a toot.

I've got some photos, but nowhere near enough because of the rain. Every photo is an unzip a pocket, extract camera, turn on, focus, shoot, turn off, pocket camera, zip up process…. all without losing speed, dropping the camera, or, falling off. So far, so good. About 13km out of town I passed some women with amazing head gear on…. I almost turned around, thought "there'll be more"….. not so far. I've seen lots more different minority groups today. Very, very interesting.

I've also seen three countries in the last 24 hours… China, Laos and Vietnam… but I haven't left Vietnam. Some of the rivers I've been following have had standing waves in them they are flowing so fast…. and there have been drops of well over 500′ - and in some cases probably well over 1,000 feet - with no guard rails. The old vertigo thing happened again when I looked down at the river yesterday. Go over and no-one would ever know.

I ran out of petrol yesterday…. and have been over cautious since. I don't like buying fuel from roadside stalls… but there are some places you just don't want to run out. Luckily I was only 4-5km out of a village… I flagged down a local, handed him $5 (100,000 dong) and asked him to get me some petrol - there were no common words at all between us…. all sign language. He looked at his watch a couple of times, turned around and came back 15 minutes later with a couple of litres. I offered him some more cash, which he refused… and I was off (he kept the change).

The local kids love spotting a westerner… and I get lots of waves and "hello" - which is probably their only word of English. My hotelier for my last night in SaPa was great - he gave me his card, home number and all and told me to ring him if I struck trouble. Lovely guy. We had a quick chat about his background - he studied tourism at uni, but said the reality was different. I gave him some marketing advice (we were amazed to find he had a room on Saturday night…. no-one else did). He took it on board and said he'd do it… His main signage is for the hotel restaurant, and it is easy to miss that he has a hotel there…. I told him to get a better hotel sign, etc.

Unfortunately, I missed photos on the best of it - due to the rain, darkness, etc. I've got some shots going over the highest pass in Vietnam - and a few nice scenes. I don't have photos of me dodging most of the excavator buckets or trucks on the roadworks…. staying alive took precedence.

My same pair of socks did duty again today - but I washed them out and semi-dried them under the hotel fan… and they were drier than my boots, so what the heck.

Anyhow, I had a quiet night in DBP and headed East. I'd done 15+ hours on the little scooter in the previous 2 days - lots of it affected by the typhoon that had hit the country - lots of rain (which means lots of mud) and some wind up on the mountain passes - damn near got blown off one. Conditions were harsh - but the views had been absolutely spectacular. Stunning. I was in Lai Chau (I think) and I asked the locals how far to Muong Lay? There wasn't much English going on, but they told me 75km, 3 hours…. it took nearly 6 hours with the conditions and roadworks = mud. I can't believe how many huge bridges are being built near Muong Lay…. huge… hundreds of feet up.

I think this leg heading east was my longest day though, 300 km in the saddle of that little Zinda, and also the day that I managed to get it to 115 kph... fully loaded.

The scenery was good as I headed east, along QL6. I didn't make it to my planned destination. I really did hammer east from Dien Bien Phu - it was a reasonably good road in parts and I started to hammer the little Zinda, and it got better and better. It freed up a bit and I kept getting higher and higher speeds out of it. I never exceeded the 50kph speed limit, of course - well, not by more than 65kph. I have to say, 115 kph on that thing with two packs is "interesting".

I had another local try the kamikazee act on the way too - coming down a mountain range, lovely sweeping corners, I was just about to overtake him - and he swung across in front of me - no indicator, braking or anything - he just turned off across the centreline. I'd hit the horn to overtake him - he went the other way (as did I) and there we were again…. me going sideways down the road on the tail of another bike. With all the traffic here, I just can't believe how many people just do a U-turn without looking. Phew.

I really shouldn't have taken this photo - but it really shows how careful you have to be. I've been travelling with my Nikon around my neck a lot of the time, when it isn't raining, so that I can snap a shot whilst moving. Its a lot harder pulling the Canon out of a pocket, turning it on, etc…. I took this one, dropped the camera and hit the brakes - hard….. and went past the bus with very little to spare, and me off the bitumen. They are ratbags. Anything / anyone will do it…. cars do it all the time, buses, trucks, other bikes…..

I ended up in Muc Chau. This town is NOT geared up for westerners. I was knackered and decided it wasn't wise to push on. Bear in mind, I'm 6'6" in my shoes... and riding this Zinda was like riding a powered roller skate shoved up my arse. It hurt.

I ended up passing this bloke a few times through the mountains. I'd stop to take a photo, he'd zoom past and I'd run him down again

Plenty of roadworks on the way too

Apologies if I double up on any photos here, but they are unfortunately scattered a bit in my photobucket account

Some more scenery

IMG_2932.jpg

Let's cover Muc Chau. Its a reasonably large town. Not huge, but a good ten minutes to ride from one end to the other. Wiki calls it Moc Chau and says there's around 150,000 people in the 2,000 sq km district. I couldn't for hell nor money, find a hotel. It took me 30 minutes. I had the phrase book out, and people pointed up the road and off I'd go. Nothing. Not a single sign in the town with an English word on it btw. In the end the old praying type hands under an inclined head got me directed to a 4 storey building and I got a room... on the 3rd floor, as usual. Dropped the gear there and coming down stairs wondered why they had suggestion boxes on each landing on the stairs. Took a look. Full of condoms. OK... Got to the foyer and its full of young ladies.

Yeah, another hotel geared to the travelling Vietnamese businessman. One of the birds showed me her pet bird and the owner made me some tea... trying to drum up some side business, methinks

I ate at some really grotty place, a short walk down the road and had another quiet night.

Next morning, I did my usual, got on the road and hammered it for a couple of hours before pulling up for a coffee.

Here's the view looking north from QL6, over near where one would have to head north to Hanoi, but I wanted to go south.

This next one might be a tad further east, when I'd got down out of the mountains...

DSC_0066.jpg

This one was near Cuc Phuong... which I'll discuss soon

DSC_0053.jpg

This is excellent. When I was in Hanoi we saw the B52 then walked some blocks to look at the rest of it in some local museum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just found a photo of that last dive I stayed in at Moc Chau.

Here's me looking very stylish. No wonder I couldn't find a damn hotel... this was well back from the road too...

The highway heading east from Dien Bien Phu, through Moc Chau and on isn't too bad... but you have to be able to hold your breath at times.

Its funny looking back on this trip and thinking about the gear I carried. I hadn't been to Asia before and read all the robbery tales.

That green daypack between my legs was a wire-impregnated Packsafe setup - the wire providing anti-slash protection. Given I had a laptop, backup drive, DSLR and a $2,600 lens in there... I wasn't keen to lose it. Then, I'd wander off and leave it like that... camera hanging there and all. Never once had a problem.

So. Cuc Phoung National Park was my destination. Ninh Binh province.

Cuc_Phuong_National_Park_-_Vietnam.JPG

That entailed some back roads and asking directions. Always plenty of people around to ask... but its critical to have the pronunciation of your destination down pat.

Plenty of trucks and buses on my side of the road too. Welcome to Asia

Always something interesting to pass

That wet road meant that my late breakfast deteriorated a bit. I stopped a bit before midday and got caught up with some teachers who wanted to buy me a beer

I was heading off after that when it started to rain again, and one of the teachers flagged me down and invited me into his house

(posting that reminded me, I've got a lovely laminated photo of him, his wife and daugher... and I recently found his address. I'll finally post it off to him)

That's the daughter writing the address on my map

Patience is important on the roads of Vietnam

and if you stuff it up... at least you'll get a decent send off

Pretty sure this next shot is in the mountains just east of Dien Bien Phu... but I just found it. One of many such broken down trucks in the hills.

I damn near had an "off" near there.... I'd been dicing with a local through the mountain twisties... and he suddenly pulled right... and then speared across the road. I went past sideways, rear wheel locked.... screaming at him. One of two similar events over in western Vietnam. Nice mountains btw

This guy spent all his time going around blind corners on the wrong side of the road... but not game to overtake

Plenty of workers out and working

Damned if I know what these funny little finials at the front of houses are all about... a bit faux

I was pretty knackered by the time I got to the National Park... and made a mistake with my accommodation. I ended up in some old Russian-built resort... which was in a state of decay a bit before the Park. It had a bunch of school kids there, and I was a popular target for photos.

The National Park itself is interesting. Vietnam's first.

From wiki:

In 1960 Cuc Phuong was made into a forest reserve and in 1962 Cuc Phuong National Park was consecrated by President Ho Chi Minh. Human habitation in Cuc Phuong dates back long before the park’s creation, 7,000-12,000 years ago. Artifacts from that time have been found in numerous caves within the park, including human graves, stone axes, pointed bone spears, oyster shell knives, and tools for grinding. In 1789 the Quen Voi section of the park was the site of a major battle in the civil war between Nguyen Hue and Thăng Long. More recently, conflicts have emerged between the government and 2,500 Muong ethnic minority tribesmen who live, farm, and hunt in the park. In 1987, 500 Muong were relocated outside of the park because of issues over poaching and land use.

Cuc Phuong is home to an amazing diversity of flora and fauna. Inhabitants of the park include 97 species of mammals, most notable endangered langurs; 300 species of birds; 36 reptilian species; 17 species of amphibians; 11 species of fish; 2,000 species of vascular plants, and thousands of species of insects. A number of species in the park are listed on Vietnam Red Book of endangered species.

Primates
in the park include macaques, gibbon, François's leaf monkey and slow loris. Other mammals including bats, porcupine, flying squirrel, small striped squirrel, belly-banded squirrel, and the rare black giant squirrel. In the past the park was home to Asiatic black bears, wild dogs, and tiger, but over hunting and lack of prey have most led to the loss of these species. Leopard, clouded leopard and jungle cat may still be present in the park.

There's an endangered primate rescue centre at the park entrance that's well worth visiting. Lots of interesting species. I wish I'd been able to get behind the wire

I ended up getting a cabin the next day in Cuc Phuong National Park. I didn't see anyone else there... and I was something like 18km into the park. Again, lots of over-grown infrastructure there.

Some of the roads in the park are good, like this

.... and some are rather dark and slime covered. (I'll find some shots if I can for my next instalment)

I must admit, I murdered a spider in there. Big bastard. Fast. Very fast... which is why I decided I didn't want him sharing with me. It was like an Aussie Huntsman spider.... 3" or so across, but it raced all around the room... and was a bit unsettling.

The jungle in the park is just fabulous - lots of different funghi.

and I went for a bit of a hike

When I got up in the morning, there were a pair of these tiny kingfishers asleep on the verandah of an adjacent building

Heading out of the park, I came across two stranded German damsels in the middle of nowhere. They had a flat tyre on their scooter. They were a bit worried and there was no-one around, so I volunteered to give one of them a lift to the park entrance to get help. I say two damsels. There was this lovely damsel... but the other one was HUGE.... and fortunately, she politely deferred and suggested this lady come with me. (Yeah, I know, that sounds bad... but it would've killed the poor Zinda). They were uni students, just arrived to work at the turtle research centre.

So... good deed done, I headed into Ninh Binh.

I've dug up some more random photos ranging over the last few days of this report so far. Best to get them in now, before I move on....

Its cheesy grin time... a selfie with the German lass... whilst on the move. I guess if I wasn't so convinced I'm a handsome dude, I wouldn't post this, eh?

More mushies in the jungle

Speaking of the jungle... watch where you walk. These big bastards didn't look nice.

Riding back to my cabin in Cuc Phuong National Park, at night, after getting dinner, I noticed this crab on the road... about 150mm across

Some of the schoolkids who were at the old Soviet resort, just outside the Park

I'd stuck my nose into a small market at one stage... but everyone was packing up and ducking off...

One thing that made an impression on me, fortunately not physically, was the amount of rocks that fall on the roads in Vietnam.

There'd been a typhoon around and it'd been raining... so I guess that loosens it all up

Another thing that made an impression was how friendly the guys were. That's my leg... and one of the teachers' arms...

I assumed it to be just friendly... not sexual... and let him be. Things might have deteriorated if he'd got any more friendly.

I stopped on the road somewhere else on the day I rode down to the National Park... and scored some beer on the tap

This was a bit further west... over near Dien Bien Phu

Heading out from the National Park and up to Ninh Binh, there was some nice scenery, but the damn wires are everywhere

... at last, a photo without wires in it

When I finally got breakfast, after getting to Ninh Binh, it was 3:30pm

... and I remember dinner there well. It was a fairly upmarket restaurant and had a wild party or two going. It didn't click until later, but I have a suspicion the monkeys they had in a couple of cages might've been available for the menu too. Not sure... but I think so. Anyhow, in the true spirit of fine dining in Vietnam, all scraps go on the floor... and this dog was enjoying the fish head I dropped for him.

Next episode, I'll post some photos of the Perfume Pagoda area.... and explain how I ended up with a hotelier paying me, rather than the other way around.

OK, I stuffed up in that last sentence.... the Perfume Pagoda is elsewhere.... what I was thinking of was Tam Coc - which is well worth seeing. From wikitravel: One of Vietnam's most spectacular sights. A boat must be hired that will take you through the waterways between vast limestone cliffs that rise out of the rice paddies. The area is somewhat similar to Halong Bay, but more accessible and much less touristy.

I pulled up on the scooter and a guide latched onto me, which was fine by me. Its good to speak some English occasionally... especially when travelling alone. This guy set me up with one of the street vendors to mind the scooter (for a minimal fee), asked me why I wasn't travelling with a woman, and would I like him to arrange? No... let's just see the caves eh?

Plenty of wild goats up on the cliffs

This is another area where a lot of the rowers use their legs

Rather unusual rowlocks

But the women souvenir sellers (I bought a tablecloth) use their arms... backwards though

I'm pretty sure this is the memorial to the supposed shooting down of an F-111 here by a soldier with an AK-47. One of the engines is at the war museum in Hanoi

Not sure what this one is...

.... and this is the engine in Hanoi

Another attraction nearby

There were a lot more tourists at this one... heading up to the temple

Whilst riding around the backstreets, I came across this construction site. Like the rest of Vietnam, the women seem to do most of the hard labour

My friendly guide... and the lady who rowed us

He drove me nuts "this rock look like elephant.... this rock look like goat.... this rock look like ladies (I'll let you guess that one)

It was interesting to hear how the area was used during the American War.... including the hospital caves, etc. It really is a pretty area and its lovely going through the paddy fields in a boat

and plenty of locals cruising around....

or fishing with a battery....

These were for sale

I had dinner in a rather nice restaurant that night... sharing the leftovers with the marauding animals

I mentioned earlier getting paid for my hotel room. I didn't realise how close I was to my destination, only a few kilometres as it turned out, and it was getting late, so I grabbed a hotel and ended up on the first floor. I woke up to a storm in the morning and thought nothing of it until I went to get up. My room was flooded... boots floating.. gear soaked. Luckily, I'd put my computer on a chair, rather than the floor, as normal. My Lonely Planet was soaked (I don't bother with it these days)... and in the ensuing discussion with the owner.... he paid up for it. Free room, given I was finished with the book anyhow.

It took a couple of maids a long time to mop the floor out - into the toilet bowl. The room didn't have a drain... and it just formed a big pool.

Thanks guys. Not too much more to go. I hope, when I finish backing up a couple of old computers, to be able to add in a couple of panoramas. There's some stunning areas in Vietnam, as in much of Asia.

First up though, some photos from that ride up the main highway from Ninh Binh to Hanoi. Horrible damn road...

They sure do load those inter-city transports up, eh?

Keep an eye on the road though

Now this one puzzled me a bit

It looked to me like they were selling a cure... and I'd had a guy try that in Lombok, Indonesia.... he had a big glossy presentation telling me all about some wonder drug, made from fruit, that cured it (and just to clarify... I don't need curing). Apparently though, its a message about not sharing needles.

I love Plod in Vietnam. Their uniforms age to a nice orange/pinkish hue.

... and while I'm at it, here's another one from the Ninh Binh exploring... more of that rowing with the feet

But after Ninh Binh, I was on the wind down. I signed up for a trip to Halong Bay. An Aussie friend of mine convinced me to leave the scooter behind and go by mini-bus. "Too much coal dust on the roads" It didn't look too bad, but yeah, it would have been a slog. The side trip was a great couple of days. Another Aussie in the mini bus pegged it though.... he said "we're idiots... we've signed up for the executive tour.... no backpacker chicks would ever do that, they'll be on the cheapie boats". Poor bugger.

Have to say, the lighter that came alongside to service us before we set off was a bit unusual. I've never seen a brick building on a boat before

Their dinghy was another of the woven bamboo boats that are so popular over there

We got stunning weather.... very unusual for Halong Bay, I'm told.

We overnighted on one of these

... and did the Baa Baa tourism bit too

There's always someone trying to make a Dong

A bit of kayaking was fun

... and it was nice to relax for a couple of days. Met an interesting Vietnamese uni professor and his wife, who were good dinner companions, but mostly it was just relaxing and taking in the view

After Halong Bay, we did a side tour and took in yet another cave. Much less populated with tourist sheep though... and this one took us through some of the working areas

... and then it was back to Hanoi. We passed an accident on the way.... an SUV had taken out a telegraph pole and was on its roof in a paddyfield, occupants still hanging upside down in their seatbelts. No-one at it... all standing back looking, although I suspect they may not have needed help. A bit sobering.

That's pretty much it....

I just checked back over this long-drawn report and had a chuckle to see that I posted one damn photo three times. Here's a couple of random thoughts about the whole trip.....

I loved getting away from the normal tourist track. Highlights of the trip were staying with the Red Dhao family in Sapa and travelling down the Mekong River with the family on the banana boat. I've got no chance of tracking down the family on the boat.... but I'd love to get back to Sapa on my KTM.

I love the smaller guest houses... much nicer places to be when travelling alone. The staff at the Hanoi Guesthouse were standouts

For those of us who have visited the Ho Chi Minh Trail and thought it tough.... try it like this next time

... and in a sad postscript, my friend Luc Vernet, who we visited in Saigon and Vung Tau, passed recently.

His manner with his staff was a joy to behold. They held him in high esteem

Sail on Luc

Thanks Ian what a great report, i have just got around to reading it. Love your mode of transport as here in Chiang Mai i have a Honda Wave for some trips and amazed at it's versatility.

Gary

I was just revisiting this, looking for a particular photo..... I ended up doing an extract from some videos... I'll add it in here...

This is on the road from Da Lat to Nha Trang. Route DT 723 which becomes DT 652, where this was

This next shot was a few days earlier, on that epic 6+ hour 107 km climb up to Da Lat from Phan Rang on QL 27 and QL20

... and a couple from up Da Lat way

There's plenty of pine forests on DT723, before the 6000' drop to the coastal plain

... and not much in the way of food

unless you want some raw meat

Plenty of mountain streams

Good roads too

Here's the chute that drops you that 6,000'

The view back towards where we'd come down the escarpment

Back
Top Bottom