Scooter to Saigon

Harrythefinn

Bikes
XR650R (3) XL600M AJS500(in bits) KTM525, Husaberg FE570
:D
Just a quick note for anyone thinking of buying a Viet registered bike from anyone in Thailand and riding into Vietnam. It is very painless. I bought a Viet rego scooter from the for sale ads in this forum. The baht was exchanged for a Yamaha Nouvo with temp import papers for Thailand and Viet rego card / insurance papers. A quick service, new plug, front pulley, new rear rim and spokes, air filter,oil, and a new pair of rear shocks.

The bag was strapped on the back, and off I went. First day was Korat to Phom Phen via Osmach and Siem Riep. The Thai exit was just sign and hand back in the temp import paper in the previous owners name. No questions. Cambodian entry the custom just looked at the Viet rego and said "you go" so I went. Day one, one puncture, no mechanical issues, wet twice from rain storms. After some serious partying in PP to let the backside recover (didn't take the airhawk) it was off to Svey Rieng on highway 1, a short hop from the border.

I decided to stop there for the night and get to the border in the early morning the next day, just in case there were any hassles at the border.In retrospect it would have been easier to ride straight through.

Day 3 saw a cloudy sky but no rain, about 40 kms to the border at Bavet. Rode in the wrong lane for passport control, and was sent to the foreigners booth. 5 minutes and a exit stamp was in the passport, guy asked if the bike was Vietnam rego, yes, so he said then no problem to cross into Vietnam. Vietnam entry was get stamped in 2 minutes, (multi entry business visa already), Customs guy glanced at the rego card and waves me through. Everyone else was pushing their bikes through the border area, I decided to risk it and just ride slowly, no one said anything, the customs guys even smiled. Finally rode a bike to Vietnam! Been trying for years so it was a bit of an anti climax. The fun now started as I did not have my GPS or a decent map. I had printed out the main crossings and main intersections in Saigon from Google map, I was heading for the companies serviced apartments just north of district 1, roughly 80kms from the border.

The whole way there was not one sign saying Saigon or HCMC. Google had the road number as 22, all the signs had ALT 1, and the next small town. Mayhem started when the cycle lane started, on the main busy roads motorcycles have their own lane and can't go on the car lanes. So a million scooters all juggling for a spot , all at 40 kms per hour. I have been told Saigon has 7 million scooters, which I can believe is true.In Saigon morning rush hour I nearly missed the turn off onto Dien Phen Phu, which leads north and to my work apartment.It took 2 hours from the border to the apartment. Ride complete.

No issues with the bike other than lack of speed, lack of power, lack of comfort. So anyone thinking about , just do it. Had a blast. Everyone at work at Saigon Shipyard thought I was nuts, but I would do it again. :D

Attachments

• Cambodia Border.jpg
    Cambodia Border.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 669
  • Dismatle Half the Bike for Flat Tyre.jpg
    Dismatle Half the Bike for Flat Tyre.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 847
  • Flat Tyre.jpg
    Flat Tyre.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 645
  • Happy Border Guard.jpg
    Happy Border Guard.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 647
  • Red Bull Stop.jpg
    Red Bull Stop.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 775
  • Road Works Near Samrong.jpg
    Road Works Near Samrong.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 596
  • Typical Cambo Fuel Stop.jpg
    Typical Cambo Fuel Stop.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 688
Thanks Harry, it's a smart way to do it. How many kilometers did you do in total?

We're looking at doing something similar next year.

Also looking to buy some Chinese registered bikes to keep in Kunming, China (1 hour direct flight from Chiang Mai).

Nice trip. Here's my ride (to Hanoi) while I was still looking for a place in SE Asia to live. Vietnamese-plated Taiwanese-knockoff Honda Wave (Sym 110cc) with a broken 3rd gear and all my worldly possessions. The temporary export was expired but this wasn't a problem at the border.

Attachments

• sym.jpg
    sym.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 795
Great post Harry!

Did you carry a spare drive belt? I always wonder how long they last?

How did you upload those huge pictures?

Don, The belt only had less than 1,500 kms on it. I replaced the front pulley and weights before the trip. I'm pretty sure you can get 20,000kms from a belt.

The photos I resized to approx 220k as the biggest accepted is 256k, I used FastStone photo resizer and uploaded normally.

Phil, Total distance was not great(about 1,200kms), it was the first day that killed me, about 700kms, from Korat via Osmach, Samrong, Siem Riep, to Phanom Phen. Stopping about every hundred for fuel, meaning unstrap the bag, fuel, strap the bag. Obviously easier to travel with less and have the bag in front like I have done on previous trips. One trip with Hiko a while back now was about 3,500kms over 7 days, these scooters eat the distance but it takes time and forget it in the rain.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
The Bigfella Vietnam Ride Reports 55
Back
Top Bottom