RTW rider needs help starting off in SE Asia

I am been traveling around the world on my BMW for the past 15 months. I have covered about 50,000 miles and over 40 countries so far. But now I am going to park the big BMW, fly to Southeast Asia and buy a smaller motorcycle like a Honda CRF250L. I want to visit Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia and maybe Burma. My question is: If I want to fly in, buy a motorcycle and just ride to as many places and countries as I can in 5 months, what country and where should I go to buy the motorcycle? Which country is it easiest to register the bike? Which country is easiest to cross in to the other countries with a motorcycle licensed and registered from that country? Can I put the ownership of motorcycle in to my name or do I need to be a resident of that country? If possible, how long does that take? Or should I just have the bike registered in someone else's name and just act as though it is a rental or leased motorcycle? If that way is simpler, what paperwork will I need to cross borders? Basically, I am asking for the simplest, least time consuming way to just fly in, get a motorcycle like a Honda 250 and ride without hassles from the police of major problems at the border. Here is the ling to my blog on AdvRider if you are interested. It has over 800,000 views to date. Around the World in 800 Days - Page 5 - ADVrider Thank you for your knowledgeable response.

Hi,

To start with the countries, you can ride into Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia on a bike with foreign plates. However, to enter Vietnam with a foreign plated bike is very difficult if not impossible while for Myanmar you can enter the country on a foreign plated bike but only in an organized tour (latest info is 1000 USD all in including hotels, etc. for a 7-10 day trip but then you ride in a relatively large group). For Indonesia you will need a carnet which probably will make it expensive.

There was one border crossing into Vietnam which was more flexible (basically illegal but they "forgot" about the official rule as long as you agreed to enter and exit at the same border post within the agreed time frame). Two friends tried to cross at that point in July and were refused. Apparently the officials got upset as a person who crossed there had an accident which upset the (illegal) apple cart and from there on they refused entry of bikes like all the other Vietnam border posts.

In case you buy a bike in Vietnam you can enter with it in all countries but again a carnet is needed for Indonesia and as part of an organized tour in Myanmar. So for Indonesia your bet bet is to rent or to buy there - more info on buying a bike in Indonesia here: http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...59-sumatra-lombok-sulawesi-planed-german.html

Buying a bike in Thailand is possible but you might have problems getting it in your name but for Chiangmai it seems to be relatively easy. However, you will need an address but there are ways to arrange that (will look later for the posts which describe how/what is needed). Crossing borders with a bike not in your name is possible but you will need to have approval from the owner to take the bike out of the country (see http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...k-crossing-documents-tm2-tm3-tm4.html#post376 for a sample of this letter).

Guess that Thailand would be the easiest to buy a new bike and get it in your name but when you would opt for a second hand bike things probably would be relatively easy in other countries as well.

In case you have more questions, just ask

Lone Rider from the Netherlands

Flying Dutchman,

I have been trying to find the post about the guy who bought a bike in Thailand but I have not been able to find it (will continue to look for it). He got it in his name by using a letter from the owner of the Guesthouse where he stayed, stating that this guy lived over there and with that he could letter a "Letter of Residence" from Immigration to get the bike in his name at the Land Transport Department.

Some more info on buying a bike in Thailand is here: http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/general-discussion/998-buying-honda-wave-chiang-mai.html

and this posts including a Trip Report from a young German couple who bought bikes in Malaysia and then travelled Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia and Laos and then sold the bikes and flew to Indonesia where they rented bikes:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/red-tape-border-crossing-requirements/1385-6-months-se-asia.html

and the Trip report in which they descrbe how they bought the bikes:
http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/thailand-ride-reports/3095-south-east-asia-motorbikes.html#post23349

Buying a bike in Thailand is possible but you might have problems getting it in your name but for Chiangmai it seems to be relatively easy. However, you will need an address but there are ways to arrange that (will look later for the posts which describe how/what is needed).

FD, to register a motorcycle in your name in Thailand, you will need:

- Residency certificate issued by Thai immigration, yellow house registration book or work permit from the registered seller. If the seller is Thai, copy of the house registration book.

- The buyer will need one of the above, Thai residency documents to register a Thai motorcycle in his/her name

Currently in Chiang Mai, the immigration office is taking 7 days to process residency certificates

to buy a bike in Thailand and register it in Phuket u need to be on a non immigrant visa first, than you get proof of your residency, easy to do, that its in your name.

Not all borders will allow foreign bikes into Cambodia. A Cambodian bike would be best for all countries, ( and easy to get a Cambodian Drivers license if u have a current license) BUT Vietnam which seems to have its own laws

my plan is to fly in to either Bangkok or Chaing Mai, buy a Honda CRF250L and ride from there to as many countries as possible.
thank you for explaining the proceedure but it would difficult to accomplish everything quickly when i dont know anyone there and dont speak the language.
i need a reccomendation where to go to buy and new or used CRF250 and i need someone to help me complete all the paoerwork needed to put the motorcycle title in to my name..........residency, insurance, ownership documents and Thai drivers license. ideally, i would like to get the aforementioned items started or completed before i get there later this month. that way i can spend more time riding and less time doing paperwork and searching for information.
thank you in advance for any knowledgable info.
Lalo

my plan is to fly in to either Bangkok or Chaing Mai, buy a Honda CRF250L and ride from there to as many countries as possible.
thank you for explaining the proceedure but it would difficult to accomplish everything quickly when i dont know anyone there and dont speak the language.
i need a reccomendation where to go to buy and new or used CRF250 and i need someone to help me complete all the paoerwork needed to put the motorcycle title in to my name..........residency, insurance, ownership documents and Thai drivers license. ideally, i would like to get the aforementioned items started or completed before i get there later this month. that way i can spend more time riding and less time doing paperwork and searching for information.
thank you in advance for any knowledgable info.
Lalo

forget about new as you'll have to wait ages for the green book and plate (that's if you plan to go to other countries from Thailand)
i would suggest looking through the classified sections of all the relevant Thai forums or even post a "wanted" request.

when you do find a bike that meets your needs, I'm sure the seller will be more than willing to take you through the transfer process at the licensing place. All you need at most places is a copy of your passport and residency letter, even the address of your rental condo or Hotel!?! will do.

instead of a residency certificate you can get a similar document from your embassy same day (the ever efficient British one anyway)

Thai driving licence, not sure the documents required for that, but I remember getting it all done in one day. Make sure you have your home country license. I'm sure all the above have been discussed in detail if you do a search.

good luck.

If your planning on riding into a few countries you may be better obtaining an international license in your home country, you can get a Thai license the same day, but again you need proof of residence, medical certificate copies of passport and visa etc. you may also be required to take a test, but if you have your Dutch licence you may be lucky, best plan for two days to do it and take a thai speaker with you and lot's of patience.

Buying, like Johnny said new would not work for you as you would need a plate and they take forever to get hold of, as for used you may have better luck getting a KLX, CRF's are harder to come by being a newer model.

All the best.

i think i will need the bike in my name so i can get a Carnet for Indonesia.
if the moto is in someone elses name' i dont think i can get a carnet.
i can hopefully use the new bike around Thailand as the paperwork is getting done.
if the papers take more than two weeks, then i might have an issue
any way i can get the paperwork started now so it ready when i arrive?

how long is forever to get a plate?
if i could contact a honest dealer, i could buy the bike now and have them start the paperwork.
my goal is to have a bike lined up before i go. what if i cant find a good used bike right away?

Example my Versys was 5 months getting a plate, just a thought if you'r planning on doing a large loop what about hiring a bike for the trip and negotiating a good price with a hire chop in CNX or BKK.

Some of the other guys may know about crossings with a hire bike.

Actually that might be an idea, why not try buy a bike from a rental shop, I'm sure if you offered a little over the odds they might sell and put it in your name. Just an idea....

Not really, IMHO 2nd hand is your best way forward.

wow
5 months
that is the amount of time i want to explore all of Asia
is there any way to speed things up

My scooter took 3 months, however I do believe the process has been speeding up over the past 6 months or so.

i really dont want to buy a rental bike
i have a lot of bad karma from all the rental cars i have abused over the years.
if i buy a used bike it will be from someone who has taken good care of the machine and wants it to go to a happy home

Suggestion;
since u already have a bike, drivers license an insurance why not just ship to Penang? Buy A carnet and then ur set for all of Asia.

I did that with my 1970 Triumph , sent it from Ca to Penang, had a carnet and never had any trouble, Few friends have done that with their harleys as well.

Not much you can do until u arrive here. For Thailand, IF u buy a new bike ur issued a red plate and i think, but not sure, you can not take that out of the country till u get ur official plate ( take up to 3-5 weeks)
buying a used bike is easier but still you need be here.

I brought a used bile last year, had to go to immigration an have a residency certificate made ( 20 minutes 200 baht) took that and my passport back to the shop, had the book/motorcycle in my name along wiht new insurance in 3 days. I advice you to get a Thai drivers license as well.

Very easy to cross to Laos,( you have to obtain the motorcycles Transport book ( its like a passport for the motorcycle), I have heard it is not required anymore but not sure. , buy insurance at the border , Malaysia ( you need obtain a paper which is the translation of the motorcycles book into English), Buy insurance at the border , Cambodia, just cross over, Burma u cant enter without prior approval on a group tour, Vietnam I am not sure. Indonesia you will need deal with getting it there by boat or Plane and might need a carnet.

Best of luck

i am really appreciating all the responces from people who know from first hand experience.
i dont want to use the bmw for several reasons
first, i want somerhing smaller for asia
second, the shipping alone back and forth will cost almost as much as purchasing a used bike
and third, after 18 months with the BMW, i am looking forward to getting on something different.

it looks like i need to find a good used honda crf250
i have already bought the racks for the bike and i have my heart set on the honda
so where can i find a used one?

if i had someone i could trust, i could wire the money, or use paypal and have that person hold on to the bike until i get there at the end of the month

I am in CNX tonight, i will talk with some of the Guy's, i am assuming you will starting your trip from CNX, when do you plan to arrive ?

If it's soon i really think buying from one of the rental shops is the fastest way forward, there are a couple of good rental shops in CNX and maintain their bikes very well, you may be able to extract one from their fleet that is a new addition.

i should fly in to Bangkok around November 28th
i will go anywhere i need to within thailand to get the bike
i just dont want arrive and spend too much time without my own wheels
thanks

A few weeks ago in Chiang Mai there was an immaculate crf for sale at a great price. The owner just did not ride it offroad and Bob Kelly and I saw it as the owner brought it to Rider Corner to show an interested buyer.

A few weeks ago in Chiang Mai there was an immaculate crf for sale at a great price. The owner just did not ride it offroad and Bob Kelly and I saw it as the owner brought it to Rider Corner to show an interested buyer.

i will take it
who do i make the check to?
and beers are on me

w

Just some info which I think goes for all dealerships. I was in Ducati and the sales lady told me plates/books can be completed within 2 weeks now. I find this hard to believe and probably a bit of the old sales pitch. But you never know....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
KTMphil Red Tape - Border Crossing Requirements 4
Back
Top Bottom