Royal Enfield Himalayan

bsacbob

Administrator (Retired)
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda XR250 Baja BMW F650GS
Rumours of a more dirt oriented RE are being shown around the internet, not sure if it will ever get into full production but could be a cheap alternative if it ever get's to Thailand.

11800018_1007728472593720_2421821818412305205_n.jpg

More here http://www.autox.in/news/bike-news/exclusive-royal-enfield-himalayan-production-ready-model-spied/

Its already made several years ago....

Sorry - photo upside down...

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
here come grandma with hiking boots ..... :popcorn

Yeas thats right. It has been doing some Himalayan kms.....

Here is a picture of one of the two prototypes used in the videos, build by Harris Performance in the U.K., the engines are 410cc prototype's from India.
Harris was also responsible for the engineering and design of the frame and suspension of the Continental GT.
12604708_481133528753393_8798590012740848682_o.jpg

Notice the use of the definite article in the final sentence, which suggests to me that the KTM 390 Adventure is already a sure thing!

"In the future, it could have a fight on its hands if KTM brings the 390 Adventure into the country."

Some specs: 15 liter tank, about 25 BHP and a weight of 182 kilo.

Notice the use of the definite article in the final sentence, which suggests to me that the KTM 390 Adventure is already a sure thing!

"In the future, it could have a fight on its hands if KTM brings the 390 Adventure into the country."

On that specification it would have a fight on its hands with a 250 Superdream.

● Engine Type: Single Cylinder, 4 stroke, oil cooled
● Displacement: 411 cc
● Maximum Power: 24.48 bhp @ 6500 rpm
● Maximum Torque: 32 Nm @ 4250 rpm
● Gearbox: 5 Speed | Constant Mesh
● Fuel tank capacity : 15 litres
● Fuel Injection System: Carburettor
● Saddle Height: 800 mm
● Wheelbase: 1465 mm
● Ground Clearance: 220 mm
● Brakes Front: 300 mm Disc,Doubel Piston Caliper
● Brakes Rear: 240 mm Disc, Single Piston Caliper
● Front Tyres: 90/90- 21”
● Rear Tyres: 120/90- 17”
● Front Suspension: Telescopic, 41mm dia, 200 mm wheel travel
● Rear Suspension: Linkage type monoshock, 180 mm wheel travel
● Kerb weight: 182 kgs

During the launch the President of RE informed the press that the Himalayan will be for the domestic market only, until the end of this year.
In India a carburettor is easier to maintain/repair than an injection system and that is one of the design goals of the Himalayan!
Another reason will be to refine the production of this new model before they hit the export market.

As the Classic and the Continental GT have FI it will not be very difficult for RE to equip the Himalayan with FI so it will meet all emission requirements for export.
In fact I am convinced they have designed this new engine with all emission requirements right from the start.

image.jpg

If the price stays below 100K THB I may start thinking again of the idea of keeping a bike in Northern India (Shimla/Manali?) for summer riding there. I have a 7 week holiday every summer and would love to escape the wet season (crap riding here) and ride the amazing Himalayan landscape (great climate there). I also have 3 weeks in December for another trip. Sure renting would be more cost effective but I prefer to roll and ride my own.

Maybe it's just a stupid pipe dream but...

Prices were announced today, the price for the Himalayan is INR 155.545 (~81.000 baht) ex showroom, the price on the road in Mumbai INR 178.872 (~93.100 baht).
So it is cheaper than the 500 Classic in India!!

The latest video. Sitting here at home after deciding not to go riding this weekend due to the heat, that landscape is looking more and more appealing!

[video=youtube_share;Oc0-Ndu_rzI]http://youtu.be/Oc0-Ndu_rzI[/video]

Are you bringing it to Thailand?

No plans Phil. I've been riding now for over a year and a half and although I've enjoyed myself it's pretty much 'hot and jungle' all the time. The idea is to keep a bike in a climate and landscape different and more variable 'close' to here. China seemed too restrictive so India was the obvious choice.

As I won't be able to register the bike in my name officially, I also think taking it out of the country would be a no-no, besides the CRF does all I want for riding in SE Asia.

The Himalayan, for the moment anyway, won't be sold in New Delhi, so I'm looking at buying and keeping it in Chandagar.

That's a capable adventure bike for the northern region of India at reasonable price. Looking forward to ride it this season up there. Meanwhile needs to do some thinking of how to get one in Mumbai.

If you want to ride in India & Nepal it makes a lot of sense. 6 month India tourist visa's are easy to get in Bangkok, most of the visa application is done on line, at the Indian Consulate in Chiang Mai, they do a pretty thorough interview. Be careful giving a local contact (in India) details on the India visa application form, if you do they will want a confirmation letter from the local contact in India validating your visit, so gets messy.

No plans Phil. I've been riding now for over a year and a half and although I've enjoyed myself it's pretty much 'hot and jungle' all the time. The idea is to keep a bike in a climate and landscape different and more variable 'close' to here. China seemed too restrictive so India was the obvious choice.

As I won't be able to register the bike in my name officially, I also think taking it out of the country would be a no-no, besides the CRF does all I want for riding in SE Asia.

The Himalayan, for the moment anyway, won't be sold in New Delhi, so I'm looking at buying and keeping it in Chandagar.

Back
Top Bottom