Route suggestion Trat to Nan for Sportbike

bill

Bikes
KTM 500 XCW
Route suggestion Trat to Nan for Sport-Tourer

I'll be traveling up to Nan from Cambodia in January. Looking for scenic routes suitable for a Sport Tourer.

Came across this route through Phetchabun

Route thru Phetchabun.png

Wondering how that compares with going up thru Udon Thani/Nong Khai and following the Mekong ?

Prefer to stay mainly on Tarmac. A bit of road construction and odd pothole is ok.

Probably head into Laos after NE Thailand.

Any suggestions appreciated

From your point C (Petchabun) I would take Road 2372 to the north (a few km. to the west of where Rd. 21 connect with Rd 12) and then head west of Rd. 2331 to Nakhon Thai and from there to Chat Trakan on Rd 1143 and from there head north on Rd 1237 and 1268 where you pickup your original route again at point A (east of Uttaradit).

Another alternative is to head north from point C (Petchabun) on the 203 to Dan Sai and the further north on Rd 2113 where it links up with Rd. 1268 which then links with your original route at point A (east of Uttaradit)

You'll have many more curves to deal with in this way but you cut out a few parts of the high speed and less curvy highways. By the way, don't take the first option (Rd. 2331) on a weekend as the traffic can be horrendous on that road.

From your point C (Petchabun) I would take Road 2372 to the north (a few km. to the west of where Rd. 21 connect with Rd 12) and then head west of Rd. 2331 to Nakhon Thai and from there to Chat Trakan on Rd 1143 and from there head north on Rd 1237 and 1268 where you pickup your original route again at point A (east of Uttaradit).

Another alternative is to head north from point C (Petchabun) on the 203 to Dan Sai and the further north on Rd 2113 where it links up with Rd. 1268 which then links with your original route at point A (east of Uttaradit)

You'll have many more curves to deal with in this way but you cut out a few parts of the high speed and less curvy highways. By the way, don't take the first option (Rd. 2331) on a weekend as the traffic can be horrendous on that road.

Thanks LR, and yes, replacing straight highway with curvy bits is what I'm after.

Looks like those two routes you suggested (dark green and dark blue) could be done as an easy day ride out of Phetchabun, then continue back on the Magenta route to Nan.
I dont necessarily have to base out of Phetchabun though if there's nicer bike friendly places to stay in the area ?

LR Loops from Phetchabun.jpg

Personally, if I would have to choose, I would make the trip along the 2331 and skip Phitsanulok unless you need to go there. At the 90 degree bend in the dark green route you can also link up directly with the road to Uttaradit. There are plenty of things to see along the 2331 and 12: have a look at Guns and roses trip to former battlefields - Page 2 for some of the sights.

Back
Top Bottom