Road Condition From MHS to Mae Sot

Pyn Diah

Bikes
BMW R1200RT
Hi.. Wondering the road condition from MHS to Mae Sai, is it good as per Pai to MHS or still under construction?

I planning a trip frm Chiang Mai - Pai - Mae Sot - Nakhon Sawan - Bangkok..

Thanks

Hi.. Wondering the road condition from MHS to Mae Sai, is it good as per Pai to MHS or still under construction?

I planning a trip frm Chiang Mai - Pai - Mae Sot - Nakhon Sawan - Bangkok..

Thanks

I'm guessing you are meaning MHS to Mae Sot not Mae Sai, the road south the 108 to Mae Sariang is in great condition although expect some broken up areas after the heavy rainfall. There was some roadworks north of Mae Sot on the 105 but understand these are all complete now.

Attached is a gpx file of an alternative route to Mae Saraing 330 km of twisty roads, all paved with super tight hairpins on a big bike

gpxviewer_gpx_viewer

Attachments

• 2018-01-23 06:56:47 Auto 002.GPX
    1.8 MB · Views: 342
The R 105 from Mae Sariang to Mae Sot is one of the best roads in North Thailand IMO
Nearly all are new and as Bob said Just north of Mae Sot on the 105 very boring and a few road works.
Now stay away from the R 12 from Tak to Mae Sot, road is a nigthmare.

The Mae Sot-Mae Ramad section (approx. 35km) is still partially under construction. There will eventually be 4 lanes all the way between the two districts, so far the sections from Mae Sot to the 2nd Friendship Road intersection, as well as the road all the way to the new bridge are now complete, but there are still some sections under construction after that. However, due to the rainy season major construction works have slowed down until the dry season begins.

North of Mae Ramad to Mae Sariang is in pretty good condition most of the way; there may be a couple of small landslides and a few potholes here and there just before Mae Sariang (the road between Mae Ramad and Mae Sariang is quite winding in places, but not excessively so). No idea about Mae Sariang to Mae Hong Son as I've never been up that way, but from what I've read and heard, it seems to be quite good but winding.

Indeed the Mae Sot-Tak road is a mess, well starting from just after the Doi Musoe market to the Pawo temple at least (approx. 36km). The first section from Tak to Doi Musoe is complete and in excellent condition, but you'll regret going this way as soon as you're at the bottom of the Musoe mountain. An alternative is route 1175 from Ban Tak to Mae Ramad. Excellent road, a little winding before Mae Ramad but hardly any traffic. Only nuisance are the checkpoints, which are more thorough than the ones on the Tak-Mae Sot road.

Thanks for the updates...

What about the road condition from mae hong son (108 - 105) to mae sot? Is it consider ok for touring bike? Goggle show 414km total distance.. thanks

Think if you look back this question has already been answered, briefly the 108 is fine but expect some.roadworks on the 105 nearing Mae Sot.

Lets put it another way to PYN DIAH Bob?

Now the 108 (MHS Loop) is ridden by 10.000s bikes each year and is considered the main Motorbike loop in North Thailand?
And Generally in very good condition for any bike to ride?
Now the 105 IMO is a dream to ride.
So stop worrying get your ass here and have a great tour?

I hope this clears up your worries and concerns.
Ride Safe.

You are welcome the other 2 guys who posted really know their stuff.

The same group who is looking to ride to Burma?

See you there ok

As I stated in my previous reply, I recently drove along half of the route between Mae Sot and Mae Hong Son, a 400-odd km stretch as far as Mae Sariang, which is around 235km north of Mae Sot. It wasn't much fun with all that blinding rain and the fallen tree just after Mae Sariang on the road to Chiang Mai, but overall the road was in very good condition (much better than the narrow track it used to be a few years back); only the stretches nearing Mae Sariang were a bit of a nuisance with the occasional pothole, but nothing much. If you can wait until the dry season starts (second week of October or so) it'll be much more fun.

I think you will have better fun after you get the 250cc dirt bike?
The Honda 125cc Sonic would have been hard work IMO

Mr Pyn is planning to travel that area later this year December I think?
Ho and by the way no luck with Chiang Khong Customs with bikes coming over the bridge from Laos.

Last edited:
We plan for a bike trip in this coming December this year, to attend Tachileik Bike Week & take opportunity to ride at MHS loop (from chiang mai - pai - MHS - Mae Sariang- Mae sot). ?

Road works from Mae Sot to Tak on the 12. Muddy and slippery with lots of traffic. Anything before that from Mae Sariang is fine but could be better in the dry.

This was Friday.

Cheers.

I think you will have better fun after you get the 250cc dirt bike?
The Honda 125cc Sonic would have been hard work IMO

Mr Pyn is planning to travel that area later this year December I think?
Ho and by the way no luck with Chiang Khong Customs with bikes coming over the bridge from Laos.

Not in the blinding rain. I drove my car - you'd have to be mad to ride a bike in those crazy conditions but it will be a lot of fun starting in just over a month when the rain finally stops.

Road works from Mae Sot to Tak on the 12. Muddy and slippery with lots of traffic. Anything before that from Mae Sariang is fine but could be better in the dry.

This was Friday.

Cheers.

It's only the last 36km of roadworks that are a problem. However, they are making good progress and some sections in the construction area are already 4 lanes just with no lanes marked. I do hope they expedite the construction and finish it soon as it is quite annoying, especially when you're stuck behind a crawling truck traveling at 10km/h. For a better experience, try route 1175. Doesn't matter if you're heading north (towards Chiang Mai) or south (towards Bangkok) it's not much of a detour, just go north from Mae Sot to Mae Ramad and turn right just after town (sign missing and hasn't been replaced since the road there was widened to 4 lanes).

Back
Top Bottom