Riding with ants in your pants...a whole new meaning to the phrase?

bikesncats

Bikes
TDM850
Anyone that has lived a while in Thailand knows red ants...anyone who's been in Isaan knows the particularly aggressive kind that lives here, a bite as nasty like no other ants. Turned against humans perhaps by centuries of seeing people raiding their nests and plundering their un-hatched offspring to turn them into soup, the painful bite is only matched by the viciousness of their well coordinated attacks.

I had just changed this morning, clean jeans and flip flops ready to head to town, when my GF asked to cut a few lime tree branches I had overseen during our little "clean-up" of our garden so, plug in the shrub saw and the job turned into an easy and quick fix. A couple of red ants started an attack which was swiftly subdued with a swipe of the hand.

Minutes later the saw was put away and I was on my way on myGF's scooter, heading across the main road and through the little village, coincidentally filled with people sitting around the new volleyball court they just finished, when...right as I was passing in front, a massive and endless series of burning bites reminded me of the red ants. I ground the scooter to a halt with screeching tires - as if I needed the attention to what I was about to do - and jumping off the scooter I was out of my pants before I even hit the ground. A perfectly coordinated attack had been launched against my waist, crouch and legs by a few dozen red ants who had managed to climb up my pants unnoticed.

Seemingly hell-bent on revenge by publicly making a fool out of me they picked the perfect timing to givehalf the village a massive laugh - I'm pretty certain it was the first timethey've seen a farang jump of the scooter pulling his pants off and swipingants off his balls - and give a new meaning to the phrase "riding with ants inyour pants".

Reminds me of a while ago I jumped on my CRF and noticed a couple of those little buggers on the bike but thought nothing of it. After a few minutes riding felt one bite me on my balls which was bad enough but worse it involuntarily made me twist the throttle and I nearly ran onto the back of the car in front! Man, it hurt! I nearly turned around and went home for some relief but luckily the pain didn't last long.

Be be careful out there people!

I was riding with Phil nr Burma when I picked up a load of red ants somehow. Normally I'm OK with one or 2 but after 20-30 bites I started getting anxious and needed antihistamines, and bribed some localgirls to massage me with some herbal creams

I was riding with Phil nr Burma when I picked up a load of red ants somehow. Normally I'm OK with one or 2 but after 20-30 bites I started getting anxious and needed antihistamines, and bribed some localgirls to massage me with some herbal creams

Hopefully they were girls and it was herbal cream!

I was riding ... I picked up a load of red ants ...

Like Dave said...be careful of what you pick up... in Phuket a green pit viper had somehow found my HP2 to make suitable home for some reason, until I started the engine that is and then she started crawling all over in a frantic manner - that's when I noticed it - I was standing on my right foot peg had swung my left leg over as I saw her coming out on that side, luckily it jumped off the bike and crawled onto a fruit loaded pick up. By the laughter of the thai boys outside the 7/11 I assume they had seen it leave the truck and get on to my bike and were waiting to see what would happen rather then warn me (which was later confirmed by one of the girls with them when she had dinner with us).

The bite is not deadly but extremely painful...and can get to some nasty infections lasting longtime. But yes...I always have a quick look now before I hop on

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Humour 1
2wheels Humour 1
D Humour 0
Back
Top Bottom