Riding from Malay to Oz - shipping info

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Riding from Malaysia to Australia - Shipping information

Dean the Mule (KTM 950 R Enduro), just sent this great piece of information about getting bikes from Malaysia to Australia, read on:

RE RIDING FROM MALAYSIA TO AUSTRALIA

Belawan Shipping Bangka Timu49 RESIDENTIAL STREET N3 46.821 E98 41.123

Shipping Penang LEBUH PANTAI (BEACH ST) N5 24.855 E100 20.286

These are the coordinates for the shipping companies in penang (malay) and in belawan (indo). The contact name in Malaysia is mr lim, +6042625879 mobile +60124709717. He speaks English well.

Cost was 370RM in Malaysia, and 800,000rp in Indonesia (about US200 total). The boat leaves Penang every Sunday, arrives/unloaded on Monday. They will need your bike at customs on Thursday (maybe Friday) to get the clearance done in time to get the boat for the weekend. (you fly air asia for about $70)

Mine shipped with my riding gear in a bag strapped to the bike, and a spare set of tyres on the top box, none of that was securely locked and none of it went missing.

These are the coordinates of the guesthouse where I stayed in Medan (near belawan)

Pondok Wisata Angel GH N3 34.458 E98 41.283

There are a set of partially used intermediate tyres stored there if anyone wants them, tell them that Mr Dino from Australia left them there for you to collect. They are a 140/80/18 rear, and 90/90/21 front. Hard compound, ideal for the roads over here. I had a new set of Pirelli’s already paid for in Penang so I used them instead, but otherwise would have left these on, and judging by the wear on the Pirellis, that might have been a better idea! (I left them in mid March 2011, I don’t know how long they will keep them…)

Shipping from Dili to Darwin – Perkins Cargo.

Bonnie.Keating@tollgroup.com

They can ship without a crate, quoted me about US$500 (exc customs clearance costs), have a few ships a week, and transit time is 40hrs. More on that once I get it.

Yes, that is a very well-trodden route into Indonesia. The name of the company in Penang is Cakra Shipping. We used them in 2009 and many other travellers have done so before and after us. They can also ship cars.

The fees in Indo are negotiable and I strongly suspect that every person involved (incl. the customs officer) will get a cut.

Note that you need a Carnet de Passages en Douanes for Indonesia. If you are on a Thai reg'd bike you can't get that in Thailand, but the Malaysian AA has assured me that they will issue it for Thai reg'd vehicles. I have heard rumours that ASEAN vehicles don't need carnets, but I doubt that.

Reading other traveller's tales on HUBB it appears that this is the only port where you can get your bike into Indo without MAJOR hassles (like: getting it confiscated).

Shipping info from
Chris Cowper whom I met on "Death Highway" aptly named by, Jake Jacobsons (Adventure Cambodia)
Adventure.jpg

Chris and riding partner were power a massive German boxer through the sandy oxcart ruts, with spare tires on top of the panyers, at a rather slow pace. The water filter saved the day for them!
Chris has continued some great adventure traveling,
http://www.wherethefcukarewe.blogspot.com

Links to his motorcycle shipping company.

http://www.aussiebikeshipping.com.au
http://www.aussiebikeshipping.co.uk

Back door into Summatra, Armed with some Bahasa and determination. I managed to get from Melaka to Pakanbaru. A fantastic boat ride down the Melaka straits and up the Pakanbaru river, 125ks. I did take 2 days to work through the procedure. Seems Jabantan Laut, will not permis the shipping of motorcycles. However it turned out that "parts" waz OK?><?

Lake tobatoba-8-10.jpg
town full 650 BSA sidecarsbsa.jpg
Unlimited mountain viewsbikescene-8-10.jpg
Harbor at Sibolgasibolga-8-10.jpg
Local Housefire.jpg

Dropping into the crater of Lake Toba (caldera)switchback.jpg
One of many falls in this land of canyons, craters, mountains and lakes!falls.jpg

Back
Top Bottom