Recent Successful Permanent Importation of Used/Secondhand Motorcycle into Thailand

M1Tanker

Bikes
2008 BMW R1200GSA
I recently completed the permanent importation of my motorcycle (2008 BMW R1200GS Adventure) into Thailand. I also obtained the green registration book and Thai license plate. The process was very long and required a lot of paperwork.

Here are some recommended questions to answer prior to starting an attempt to import a motorcycle into Thailand:
- Are you trying to permanently import your motorcycle?
- What kind of visa will you be coming to Thailand on?
- How well documented is your motorcycle? All original sales documentation? All registration documents? Motorcycle driver's licenses to include expired and international drivers licenses?

There are two Thai government agencies that one needs to interact with in order to permanently import a motorcycle into Thailand:
1. Department of Foreign Trade within the Ministry of Commerce (NOTE: An import license must be obtained as well as an import permit for the motorcycle.)
2. Customs Department (http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/co...ing+personal+vehicle/importingpersonalvehicle)
3. (NOTE: I did contact the Thai Industrial Standards Institute and they informed me that because I was importing a used/second hand motorcycle they did not play a role in the importation process.)

I did have to pay import duties and the motorcycle was depreciated in accordance with the formula that can be found in the Thai Customs link above. The cost wasn't zero baht but it was considerably less than a new or used equivalent BMW.

Once I completed the importation, I then took that paperwork to my local Department of Transport. I filled out more paperwork and paid a small processing fee. Weeks later I received my green registration book and license plate.

All personnel that I interacted with at all of the aforementioned Thai government agencies were professional and ethical. I will point out that many of the personnel in these offices are not completely familiar with permanently importing a motorcycle because they just don't see it happen that often. Patience, thoroughness, and professional determination are required. I found that researching the process online, asking a lot of questions, and communicating with each office in person or online to be effective. I started the process over a year prior to shipping my motorcycle.

ok, so how much did it cost ?

rob

So overall with shipping costs (assumed you shipped it) was it worth it over the current cost of a 1200GS in Thailand ?

I just retired from the U.S. Army and this move to Thailand was paid for by the U.S. Army. I just had to pay the customs duties. With that stated, due to an error in a Department of State policy, I was originally not allowed to ship the motorcycle with my household goods. I checked into companies that had experience in shipping motorcycles from Germany, where I stationed and subsequently retired, to Thailand. The four estimates that I received around August 2015 were (2,440EUR; 2,730EUR; 1,250EUR; and 2,330EUR) to ship the motorcycle from Germany to Thailand. After researching the Department of State policy and contacting the Thai government I was able to get the Department of State to correct its policy and then the U.S. Army shipped the motorcycle at no cost to me.

To purchase a new BMW R1200GS Adventure here in Thailand is over 1 million THB. In 2015 when I was researching the feasibility of importing my motorcycle, I did search for used R1200GS Adventures in Thailand. I found a 2009 and it cost about 880,000THB; which was about the price I paid for mine when I bought it new. Other GS's that I found were just about as expensive. I created an Excel spreadsheet and put all of the Thai customs formulas into it. I came up with a total duty cost of about 360,000THB. I had someone independently create a spreadsheet and he came up with about he same cost. I did consider selling my motorcycle in Germany, but the challenge is that I purchased the motorcycle, a US specification motorcycle, through the BMW Military Sales program and thus paid no German VAT or amazingly the 6% import fee. If I sold the motorcycle to a German then they would have to pay for the VAT and the import fee, making it cost ineffective to a German. I could have sold it to a US service member or US Government worker in Germany, but there aren't many riders in that demographic that can afford the motorcycle in Germany and those that can take advantage of the BMW Military Sales program by paying a lower MSRP and no taxes. Thus, given my estimates I decided to attempt importing the motorcycle.

Back
Top Bottom