Racing Brilliance and Sporting Spirit at Thailand Circuit

barrygrussell

Bikes
Kawasaki Z800, Yamaha Mio
Originally published on FMSCT-Live and reproduced here by kind permission

IMG_7018_RS10.jpg
Superbike newcomers Luke Stokes and Colin Butler stunned the paddock with their performances

While the headlines at the FMSCT/R2M race weekend inevitably go to the stars of the professional superbike and Moto3 Production classes, there is a depth of talent and sporting spirit in the paddock that often go unreported.

Last weekend’s meeting at the Thailand Circuit was a case in point, so here we highlight achievements that characterise the very best of competitive motorcycle racing and, in a true spirit of competition, rank them in order of excellence.

1. PK Racing’s Choosak Thavornkuldej takes the number one slot for not only taking the R2M Classic SuperBikes victory, but for taking second place behind Panpund Team’s Mickey Walker in the SB2 race on the same bike, a 2001 Suzuki GSX-R1000. An absolutely amazing performance and we wish we knew how he did it!

2. Luke Stokes stunned the SuperBike paddock on his debut in the SB3 novice class by following up a stunning qualifying performance with a lap of 1:26.895 which would have put him on the second row of the combined SB1/SB2 grid with a win on Sunday over fellow R2M SuperNaked rookies Colin Butler and Weerayut Suwan. Luke’s race time would have put him sixth on the road in the SB1/SB2 race and given him the SB2 win.

3. Just behind Luke is ‘Flying Canadian’ Colin Butler, who was second in qualifying and the race behind his friend and rival. Again, if you super-impose Colin’s results on the SB1/SB2 race, he would have qualified on the third row and taken the SB2 win.

4. Panpund Team’s Mickey Walker came back from a disappointing outing in July in which he broke his left wrist and achieved his objectives of winning the Division One R2M Classic SuperBikes 400 category and the Thailand SuperBikes SB2 victory, despite his injury still giving him problems when changing direction and braking.

As well as their stunning racing performances, all four are conspicuous for the positive energy and sporting spirit that they bring to the paddock. We try to see everything that is going on during a race weekend, but will be grateful for any further nominations. I am grateful to ‘Fandango’ Frank Braily for drawing my attention to Choosak’s achievements.

Re: Racing Brilliance and Sporting Spirit at Thailand Circui

Thanks for the write-up Barry, and well done to the other dudes aswell, really was an awesome weekend, it is especially nice to come and race in such a friendly environment, I came down with no mechanic and absolutley zero mechanical know-how, yet the other teams and mechanics were always there to help me out and assist me throughout saturday and sunday, really really appreciated and shows that even in racing egos can be put aside in the name of camaraderie and sportmanship.
C you all in BIRA on the 24th-25th for the next installment!!! :MJ :RO :DD :kat

Well done to Luke and Colin. I have a question for you based on what Colin said about not giving up the ER'6s as they were such good fun and fast through the corners. The circuits over here seem quite short and twisty and I was wondering how well you would do in the Superbike races if you were on a well set up 600 four? Or do you have to ride a 1,000cc bike in the Superbike races?

Barry,
Thanks for the great write-up, Hopefully work permitting i'll be able to give Luke another go at BIRA in Sept.

Jon,
I believe the circuits are more suited for a 600cc (R6 or CBR600rr) and that was what i had planned to use but we are not allowed to race 600cc in the Superbike series. They've just started a supersport 600 class and hopefully the number of entries will increase over the next couple races and it could be a good race to enter aswell. i believe the 600cc should lap quicker and be much easier to control on the tight track, especially thailand circuit.

Colin

Colin is spot on, the circuits are much better suited to 600s. There was a supersport class a few years ago, but it faded when Petronas Yamaha came in with factory support and left the other riders with no chance to compete. If it happens this time, we will tighten the rules, down to superstock 600 if necessary, to mitigate their advantage.

Hans Muehlebach often asks to run his Moto2 Suter in the superbike class, but that is not going to happen with R2M - we would rather build up the new class.

Luke's point about the spirit in the paddock is right too. It was great to see the interaction between the newcomers and more established teams, like the ASK Stage guys. Personally I can't wait to see Colin and Luke step up into SB2, which is certain to be at the second of the next two rounds at Bira.

Back
Top Bottom