Punctures/Rim Locks

Captain_Slash

Community Manager
Bikes
BMW 310GS Honda Wave 125 Honda MSX 125
I picked up a puncture from an unknown source whilst riding offroad today, it was only a small pin prick hole not completely in the middle of the tube but closer to the middle than the side.
I was running about 25 psi in the rear wheel when this happened.
Was it just bad luck? there is no rim lock on my KLX 150 but I don't think the 250 had one either.
If I am going to be riding at 20+ psi in the tyres is there any point in putting rim locks on?

No.
The 150 won't have enough power to spin the rim inside the tyre, well probably not.
20 psi is still relatively high for off road riding anyway.

I doubt the puncture had anything to do with what pressure you were running.

Good to inspect the rim tape carefully, could have been from a spoke head. Bob had a puncture from a spoke head when we rode to Surin.

bring an emergency can off rd..one of those that inflate and fix small holes.lifesaver sometime. @ amorn electronics has -em in the back of shop,next to computer plaza,in cm .160bht

I picked up a puncture from an unknown source whilst riding offroad today, it was only a small pin prick hole not completely in the middle of the tube but closer to the middle than the side.
I was running about 25 psi in the rear wheel when this happened.
Was it just bad luck? there is no rim lock on my KLX 150 but I don't think the 250 had one either.
If I am going to be riding at 20+ psi in the tyres is there any point in putting rim locks on?

I found using the recommended pressures, @18psi, made a huge difference to off road comfort and capability, especially on rocky hardpack. I carry a small bicycle pump and gauge so I can easily adjust. I feel a tyre is less likely to puncture at a lower pressure as it has more 'give' in it. 250s don't have rim locks so I can't see a 150 needing them.
As for repairs, I think it would be a hell of a job for me to change a tube in the boonies on my own so considering one of those gloop aerosols as well. Would work better on a tubeless tyre but I remember one got a mate going on an old Bonnie back in the 80s when the tube was quite badly damaged.
As for spare tubes, I took two to Laos but they were a considerable proportion of bulk and weight of my pack so thinking of just carrying a front in future which will fit the rear in an emergency, or perhaps buying a 'between' size.

I filled all my tubes with tire slime on various bikes.. No punctures since tho I am sure a major nail or screw would still do it.

Thanks for the answers guys, I guess it was just bad luck and I wont bother with a rimlock

Back
Top Bottom