Plastic welding: fairing repairs in Chiang Mai

MartinThai

Bikes
'97 H-D Electra Glide, '91 H-D FXRS, '96 Honda XRV750 Africa Twin
Managed to "do silly" on the Africa Twin recently which required fairing panel repairs. Took the bike to Joe (thanks for intro Phil) who was too busy to take the job on but told me of a guy he'd used years ago..... didn't even know if he was still in business. Well, he is, and he sorted me out very nicely thank you!

Before:

PB060030.jpg

After:

DSCN0021.jpg

As you can see he does not do any fancy rubbing down prep work for a paint job..... that's down to you. He's bog standard basic repairs.

Coming out of the Old City head east over Narawat bridge and turn left at the 3rd lights..... opposite the Bridgestone dealers.
Go down that little soi for a minute or so, bearing left, and his small single shophouse workshop is on your left...... piled high with busted plastic vehicle bits outside, hard to miss! He has zero English so if it's any harder than an obvious break that needs welding, take a translator....... or learn the bloody language! Took him a little over 2 weeks to do mine, 1,600 baht which included buying a panel of thicker than usual blue perspex for a new screen.

Unfortunately he forgot that the screen should be mounted on the inside of the fairing:

DSCN0019.jpg

so I'll either take it off myself and re-position it, or buy some rubber edging and leave it on the outside.

Ironically my little rendezvous with Mae Sot tarmac came just 48 hours before I was due to find the fabricator down near Airport Plaza to order a set of........ crash bars!! The whole episode has set me back a month but the bars are the next project...... I'll sort out a new paint job later as I am not bothered about riding a work-horse like this with battle scars!

Remember...... don't go doing MotoGP style cornering and slide-off's without a set of these!

848657542_J9nG7-X2.jpg

:D

Martin ... can he use another panel as a mold and make new panels?

Good question: I'll ask him next time I'm going for a soapy..... err..... next time I'm in the area! :RE

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M General Discussion 4
Back
Top Bottom