Philippines??

W

wuming

I have got a couple of weeks break coming up; rather than riding Thailand (again!), I was thinking something a bit different. Philippines? There doesn't seem to be much on here about riding the Philippines. Is there something I am missing? Or can anyone recommend good routes; "must
sees", bars etc?
Or should I just come to Chiang Mai and rent there again?
Cheers.

RideAsia is gradually spreading its wings 'wuming'.
We are seeing more articles from riders in Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Burma, Laos and Cambodia.
So I guess it would be good to have a 'Philippines' thread and see it evolve.

Mind you, there is still plenty of new territory for you to discover using Chiang Mai as a base.
Plenty of support and advice for you here too.

I rented a Honda Transalp out of Angeles City about 5 years ago, rode south through all the islands to Mindanao (Camiguin Island), then had to jump on an overnight Superferry to get back to Manila. Took about 3 weeks.
Yes, wud recommend, Every island was different, although leaving a full day for every ferry crossing was tedious as the paperwork & constantly changing schedules got boring.
I still have a lot of details & photos if u need them, albeit dated by now, and can help with some of the planning.
There are decent free GPS maps available too if reqd.

Oh, and a year later, did a smaller 1 week tour around Cebu Island, staying in Malapascua island in the North for a few days. Rented a 400cc Honda Steed for that one.
Not so much biking, but better if your time is short.

If we get a 'Philippines' thread Russ, what you have (and what you care to share) would be interesting.

Political unrest in some parts could be a factor though?

""Political unrest in some parts could be a factor though?""

My friend was planning to head there mid october, his embassy, British, warned against it at the moment. It could very well be the trouble is just in small areas but best to check first.

A few years back, I did a ride in the Philippines. We had to go there for a wedding, and went over a couple weeks early. Because of the limited time, we stayed on the main island - Luzon - and did 2000km. At that time, there was only one place to rent a large bike - the same place that Russ used in Angeles City. Angeles City Philippines rent a motorbike - motorcycle In general, we were not impressed by the riding on Luzon, but riding on the other islands might be different. On Luzon, once you get away from Manila, there are only 2 lane roads that get all the traffic. Most of your time is spent passing slow vehicles or being passed by maniac truck and bus drivers. Roads are not numbered at all - directions are signposted showing the way to the local town and Manila, even when you are hundreds of km away from the capital. Hotels were expensive compared to Thailand. The cuisine is so-so (how many Philippine restaurants do you see around the world), but the seafood is not bad. As far as things to see, 300 years of Spanish control leaves a lot of similar churches and little native culture. All in all, had an OK trip but would not head back in a hurry.

Back
Top Bottom