Permanently Importing personal Thai motorbike into Malaysia

johnd2

Hey there Folks,

I currently live in Thailand and have a motorbike here, but will be moving down to KL soon and am looking to bring my Thai bike with me.

There's lots of speculation and contradicting info on the net in regards to permanently importing a bike into Malaysia, I'm sure there's plenty of red tape and potential import and duty taxes to pay, but its only a small bike so hoping this should be minimum.

This would be for a personal import, non commercial.

Also, does anyone know of any insurance company in KL that will insure a Thai registered bike? (i've heard they do exist)

is there anyone who has actually done this?

Cheers

John

There's a law that allows Non-O visa & biz visa holders to import a foreign vehicle they have owned abroad for over 1 year, to import into Thailand tax duty free.

Don't Know anyone who has ever pulled it off.... Would love to see someone try.

....Mr. H?

Where is the law text that specifies it is duty free?

Duty free? From the websites I've read it's only at a reduced rate, which increases based on the age of the bike. Tax and other costs are still applicable.

As I'm on a Non-O, I'd loved to be proved wrong!

Check out the work permit qualifications

Duty free? From the websites I've read it's only at a reduced rate, which increases based on the age of the bike. Tax and other costs are still applicable.

As I'm on a Non-O, I'd loved to be proved wrong!

Thanks for the feedback guys, although back to the original question, anyone done this?

Anyone know of an insurance company in KL that will ensure a Thai registered bike?

Back
Top Bottom