Penang To Luang Prabang

Faz Harris

Bikes
Kawasaki KLX 250H
I am planning a Penang to Luang Prabang Ride in November 2012. ( I have to plan early as the only setback is I have to accumulate my leave).
This will be a two weeks ride for a distance of 4,400km (to and fro as 1 way would easily be 2,200km).
I plan to either ride my new Triumph Tiger 800 XC (replacing my 2008 Versys) or my 2009 Honda XR650L or 2007 my Kawasaki KLX 250H.
I have the route figured out.
However I will need any feedback if there any concerns especially on the declaration of the motorcycles into Laos.
The last time I rode into Laos was way back 10 years ago.
I also need some tips on any good accomodations and food.
My plan is to ride to Bangkok in 1 day and then take it easy, covering the rest of the trip past Bangkok by riding 7 hrs a day (covering about 400 to 500km a day). I want to spent at least 2 nights in Luang Prabang and then start back. This could either be a solo ride or with another riding buddy.
All feedbacks/tips and advices will be treated positive and greatly appreciated.
Once I published the riding dates, I also will appreciate if I am able to meet any of the forummers here.
Rgds,
Faz. :DD

Faz, sounds like a fun trip with big km's every day.

Take a look in the red tape section, lots of info on border crossings there, you should have no problems.

In the accomodation section there's a good selection of places to stay.

Sounds like you're going to have a tough first day. Just from the border to Bangkok is 1200 km, and I don't know how long from Penang to the border (100-150?). The longest I've done in a day is 1300 km and that took me 17 hours, including stopping several times for rain and fixing an electrical problem (but no red tape, mind you). At least you will get to Bangkok at night, which is better. I would either take a day off there and then start very early on the following day to get out before the worst of the traffic, or split that first day up into two. And I would definitely not attempt something like that on a KLX. I think that Tiger sounds like the thing for this job.

Thanks Tom, penang to border is about 2 hrs (175km)....Hatyai To Bangkok is 800km. I am used to this as I frequently ride the Penang to Bkk route via the Asean Hiway. I go back to my house in Onnut 46 (My mom in law is at Onnut 16).
Usually it takes me between 15 to 17 hrs (sounds like you did it right). And yes, riding in Bkk after 8pm is much much better, especially if you are passing Rama III going to Onnut...hahaha.

Before someone asks me why I ask since I am from BKK?
I am a Malaysian, married to a Thai. I go back every 2 or 3 months once, and I have ridden in Thailand extensively ...since the last 8 to 10 years..being till Mae Sot and also Khao Yai.
I now ride mainly in Malaysia and Indonesia. Now I crave to ride in Thailand , Cambodia and Laos ...cos I can leave the family in Bangkok...wondered why I didn't think of that back then.........!!

Back
Top Bottom