Paying for fuel

deeg1

Spouse and I are in the process of planning our January 2016 vacation to Thailand. Today's question is about fuel station credit cards. I notice there are many Shell, Esso, Caltex stations throughout the country. I realize I cannot use the US issued credit cards that I have for those stations . Does anyone know if the banks that hold the fuel station cards in Thailand would issue one to a US citizen? Or is it easier to pay cash or use a regular credit card (Visa, MasterCard, etc).

Thanks!

Dee

Pay cash is by far the easiest (in particular at smaller gas stations) and maybe even the most safe option.

I don't know about the gas company issued credit cards, but US bank cards work fine. They are the only cards that I have, and they have never been turned down. The transactions go through with the actual exchange rate.

I have used Visa and Mastercards only. They work fine, but some like Discover or Amex probably won't be accepted.

One point to remember - most US credit cards add a 3% "transaction fee" for overseas purchases. Get one that does not - Capital One for example.

Another point - some places try to charge you in US Dollars. That actually screws you for a few percent when they do that. Tell them to charge your card in Thai Baht.

Thanks!

I have a couple of CC's that I will be bringing, but , typical American that I am, I'm just so used to paying for fuel with a card.... can't remember the last time I paid cash. I guess it will be easier to pay cash.

So much easier to pay with cash, they do it right there in front of you most times as the cash register is between the pumps.

Don't expect to see cc machines on the pumps themselves- the kid will take your card to the manager after your tank is filled, and you'll have to move to the side while he takes his time processing it. Especially at busier stations, this will be a bit of a hassle that's just not worth it. Pay cash if possible.

Cash, cash, cash... one of the great aspects of life in many developing Asian/European countries... is that the local domestic economy runs primarily on cash. Something that many countries would be better working back towards. If so much of the GFC caused by America's love affair with debt - the world would've been far better off... instead we deal with the fall out with the human frailty - greed.
YMMV

Cash it is then.

Bikerdoc, Only reason I use cc's is to track spending, and to not have to carry a lot of cash. CC's are a convenience for me, nothing more. They get paid off when the bill comes in (or earlier). But you are right, debt is a HUGE problem here in the states. Unless its a big ticket item, like a car, our motto is: If I can't pay cash, i can't afford it.

(But I tell ya, these 15-20 hours a week of overtime to save up for the trip may just kill me before the trip even starts! lol)

Thing to remember in Thailand ALL the gas stations have a fuel attendant, no self service here so cash works.

Back
Top Bottom