Overnighting 'Off Piste' with no hotel/homestay. What would you do?

Phil TK

Bikes
FZS1000
One thing I've sometimes wondered about, especially when riding in SE Asia, is what would I do if I suffered a major bike breakdown in the middle of nowhere and with no prospect of reaching 'civilisation' by nightfall I'm forced to camp for the night.
Like many others I don't usually carry a tent or bivvy with me, let alone emergency food and a sleeping bag. (although I always carry a plentiful supply of water and biscuits) I think if it was getting dark and I was stuck, all I would do is wrap up, slap on the deet and perhaps sip from a whisky bottle around my fire all night. Not sure if I would sleep.
What sort of things could I pack that would make this situation more comfortable? I guess a small tarp and some guy ropes would be useful to rig a shelter around the bike, waterproof matches and perhaps a canteen set to make soups would help I think. I'm not sure the sleeping bag liner I always carry would be warm enough, are these plastic 'survival bags' worth carrying? I'm sure people out there have some better ideas than me.
Camping without permission and lighting a fire could be an issue in some parts but aside from worrying about that what would you put in a small easy to pack 'kit' to make an impromptu overnight stop more comfortable?

I've asked for a bed in the middle of nowhere more than once, including when broken down. Haven't been refused yet. Had my offer of money refused once, but slipped it to the woman of the house quietly anyhow.

I carry either a bivvybag or a decent sized groundsheet and I also carry a light sleeping bag, which is quite small when packed.

Like the Bigfella i too have had occasion to make an impromptu stop either in a village or the middle of nowhere, one thing for sure you are never alone, I recall one time having to sling a hammock (which i always carry on long trips after a previous mishap) having overstretched myself one day, I decided to pitch up for the night in what i thought was in the middle of nowhere. No sooner had I got wrapped up for the night when i heard noises and shit myself thinking i was gonna get robbed, turned out a village was just a few KM away and they knew of my presence and had brought me some food and water.

Motto be prepared and always carry some bog roll ;)

I do believe I didn't see any bogroll for two weeks at one stage. Would you like details?

Nice story

I usually pay 400 bht for some village food and a place to sleep. They often try not to accept, but I will give whenever possible.
Like the Bigfella i too have had occasion to make an impromptu stop either in a village or the middle of nowhere, one thing for sure you are never alone, I recall one time having to sling a hammock (which i always carry on long trips after a previous mishap) having overstretched myself one day, I decided to pitch up for the night in what i thought was in the middle of nowhere. No sooner had I got wrapped up for the night when i heard noises and shit myself thinking i was gonna get robbed, turned out a village was just a few KM away and they knew of my presence and had brought me some food and water.

Motto be prepared and always carry some bog roll ;)

I do believe I didn't see any bogroll for two weeks at one stage. Would you like details?

Could be interesting, that's a long time without!
I always carry wet wipes (and used them then bagged em) but not enough for two weeks.

A nice banana leaf comes in handy, is it shiny side up, i can never remember :lol3

I've carried a compact bedroll in the past, which has mossie netting, but I've never needed to use it.

But, re: bogroll....I gotta confess....
If it's really bad, I've used rocks to remove chunks, then leaves for the clean-up!

EWWWWW!!

:topes Thanks for sharing that thought, remind me never to shake your hand...

I carry a space blanket. it has eyelets so can be rigged as a cover for bike and or self. It's light and insulated so will keep you warm too. it's compact too. i always have 50m of thin strong cord ~ multiple uses and takes up no room. But like others my first option is always the nearest. habitation.

Back
Top Bottom