On the ancient "Elephant Trail" to see the Huey

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
With the weather changing from normal hot to very hot I always get a bit edgy so decided that a change of venue from sitting at my desk to fiddling around while on a trip was needed. As I had not been on the "Elephant Trail" for a long time and at that time had not done the whole trail I decided to head out there. The Bigfellah, whose bike was still being repaired quickly volunteered to join me so after a few days we were on the road from Chiangmai to Wat Chan and then on the trail to Mae Hong Son.

The route taken.jpg

A quick noodle lunch in Wat Chan with lots of blooming orchids like "Ueng Kham" (Dendrobium chrysotoxum) in the trees in front of the restaurant
IMG_8415.jpg

After lunch off to Mae Hong Son on the trail - most of the trail is still unpaved but at the places where the trail is steep, pavement has been put in and sedans and vans can do the trip - while we were leaving Wat Chan a high government official arrived from the trail in a van accompanied by police who were all in big BMW SUV's.

IMG_8421.jpg

IMG_8424.jpg

IMG_8423.jpg

IMG_8425.jpg

IMG_8427.jpg

IMG_8428.jpg

IMG_8430.jpg

The viewpoint almost at the end of the trail
IMG_8431.jpg

Just past the viewpoint, a single trail branches off to the north to the Maekutlong waterfall
IMG_8433.jpg

Later, after having checked in to the Rom Tai Gh (500 Baht a night with aircon and Wifi - Phone 053-61247) and having had a snack and a drink at the Salween River Restaurant the BigFellah went for his mandatory massage and I went up to Wat Phratat Doi Kong Mu to see the sunset. Unfortunately it was quite hazy and cloudy so no real luck here.

IMG_8434.jpg

IMG_8437.jpg

During the evening we had some discussions about what to do the next day on our way back to Chiangmai - visiting the Japanese War Museum in Khun Yuam or having a try to get to the Huey helicopter somewhere north of Pai. As it was ANZAC day we decided that visiting the War Museum would be a bit inappropriate so the choice was simple even-though we were not sure if we could reach the old Huey with the truck .

After a hearty breakfast at the Salween it was off to Pai with a stop at the Pang Ma Pha viewpoint for coffee. The ladies did their utmost best to score a sale and in the end the BigFellah could not resist anymore and he bought a nice hat

IMG_8450.jpg

IMG_8451.jpg

IMG_8457.jpg

On our way to the Huey we got a bit lost in Muang Noi but with some back and forth we found the right way and in no time we reached the micro-hydro plant and we knew we were on the right way

IMG_8459.jpg

IMG_8462.jpg

Onwards though as we came for the Huey. As we were not completely sure how far it would be and if the big ruts would prevent us from reaching the Huey, we rocked up to an army camp and asked for directions. The guy at the checkpoint could not understand why we were interested in the old Huey and, as he was much more interested in the young ladies helping him at the checkpoint, he waved us on-wards with the message that in about 6 km. we would find other guys who would know the exact location.

And indeed after another 6 km. we found another army checkpoint and the young guy told us that the Huey was just around the corner.
IMG_8494.jpg

The army camp on the other side of the road from the Huey
IMG_8477.jpg

IMG_8484.jpg

IMG_8479.jpg

IMG_8486.jpg

The Bigfellah taking a picture at the place where the Huey hit the landing pad
IMG_8475.jpg

IMG_8476.jpg

IMG_8471.jpg

Plenty of losse panels lying around inside the Huey
IMG_8489.jpg

On the way back we picked up a few women with their dogs walking along the track on their way to the temple.
IMG_8497.jpg

IMG_8498.jpg

Just past Muang Noi we passed an ancient temple and had a quick look. The wooden bridge did not look to sturdy and swayed quite a bit when we crossed to get to the temple
IMG_8511.jpg

IMG_8510.jpg

IMG_8502.jpg

IMG_8509.jpg

IMG_8503.jpg

Nice pics guys. That 's a nice area .i drive up there ophten :)

Auke you made all the trip in one day thats quite a drive if you did, although the fire road coming back from MHS would have been quick, looks like RA is amassing a good collection of info and pictures of the Huey story.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks again Auke, very nice pics & useful info as always.

Ally

There is a helicopter down database: Helicopter Accidents - Helicopter Database
And here are the helicopters of the RTA: Royal Thai Army - Helicopter Database
Here the ones from the RTAF: Royal Thai Air Force - Helicopter Database
The ones from the RTN: Royal Thai Navy - Helicopter Database
And the Police helicopters: Royal Thai Police - Helicopter Database

I think this database is not up to date, the number 1517 (H6-15/17?) does not show in the lists, out of the 37 Huey UH-1's supplied to the RTAF only 9 are listed. Bell 212's are a version of the same Huey UH-1 Iroquois.

Of the 3 other helicopter crashes in 2011 Auke mentioned, in the Kaeng Krachan National park, 2 are listed in the RTA database.

Auke you made all the trip in one day thats quite a drive if you did, although the fire road coming back from MHS would have been quick, looks like RA is amassing a good collection of info and pictures of the Huey story.

Thanks for the info.

Hi Bob,

No, we took 2 days - Day 1 from Chiangmai to MHS and on Day 2 from MHS to Pai and then to the Huey and back to Chiangmai. Also quite happy with all the info and pictures on the Huey - haven't been able to find a lot on it on other forums like Thai Visa, TeakDoor, etc.

Hi Bob,

No, we took 2 days - Day 1 from Chiangmai to MHS and on Day 2 from MHS to Pai and then to the Huey and back to Chiangmai. Also quite happy with all the info and pictures on the Huey - haven't been able to find a lot on it on other forums like Thai Visa, TeakDoor, etc.

Maybe try the Innovators web site (hush my mouth ) :lol3

I can't see why they didn't recover it. can't be that heavy, or at least strip it out themselves. the Army I mean. maybe it wasn't Thai Army after all .... could be far more interesting than we think . It is the Golden triangle after all

I'll bring part of what I posted on the helicopter thread over here... and keep that thread about the chopper.

As for the ride...

A group of locals were happy to accept a lift into the village on the way back

Their older dog started to splutter about half way to where they go out... so after a bit of a bang on the roof, we stopped and loaded her aboard too. I'm a bit wary of picking up strange dogs... what with rabies and the like, but she took it OK and "enjoyed" the rest

Back
Top Bottom