Offline Google Maps for Mobile

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
Offline Google Maps for Mobile Phones

Soon Android phone users will be able to use Google Maps without an internet connection. Using Google Maps on an Android, phone users will be able to select an area on the map and then select 'make data available off-line'. Users will therefore be able to download map areas before leaving home and use Google Maps when out and about without an internet connection.

Source: http://googlemapsmania.blogspot.com/
===============================

Actually this option of storing Google Earth pictures on your computer has been possible already for quite some time and there are various programmes which automatically will capture Google Earth "tiles" at various zoom levels and save/cache them to your computer.

By the way, Google does not like that and has been fighting back and most of these programs are no longer available or have deleted the option of being able to download Google Earth data. However, there are older versions of these programs available on the WWW so you can still find them. However, if Google detects that you are downloading large amounts of data from their system they will "blacklist" the IP address of your computer so better use a proxy server to hide your identity.

Can already by using Maps(-) or Maps(+).. Never had a problem pulling in tiles so far.. Also the OSM map system it can use is good now too.

Nice to have it built in tho..

Lone Rider said:

Soon Android phone users will be able to use Google Maps without an internet connection. Using Google Maps on an Android, phone users will be able to select an area on the map and then select 'make data available off-line'. Users will therefore be able to download map areas before leaving home and use Google Maps when out and about without an internet connection.

Source: http://googlemapsmania.blogspot.com/
===============================

Is it possible to transfer and view a track from a gps garmin device direct to an android phone with card slot. ie, remove the sd card from the gps and place it in the smartphone.

Reason I ask is because the smartphone interface and screen size is a lot better for viewing tracks/maps etc. Could be a good option when on the road and a pc is not available.

My android phone is setup to hold app data on the micro sd, so that wouldn't play nice on mine..

I have seen apps that said they were track compatible, would need to email the track over, can try when I am back and not traveling.. A 7 inch android tablet would be good tool for that.. Like a hacked nook etc..

bill said:
Lone Rider said:

Is it possible to transfer and view a track from a gps garmin device direct to an android phone with card slot. ie, remove the sd card from the gps and place it in the smartphone.

No idea at the moment. Probably depends a bit on what format the tracks will need to be to be imported in the Android phone but my first guess is that it probably will be difficult.

To download maps from Google maps enter "Ok Maps". in the search field. But this don't work for Thailand!
http://www.wired.com/2014/02/offline-google-maps/

To view tracks on any device, I use a Dropbox account and a app to access my Dropbox folder.
When you have downloaded a track to your phone a selection of Map apps installed on your device will come up. Choose whatever you want.
For iPhone/iPad I use Galileo. For Android I use OsmAnd+

Back
Top Bottom