Novice rider from Chiang Mai looking for other riders for long trip!

Gingerkitty

Bikes
Rental - Keeway Superlight
Hello everyone!

My name is Ginger and I am currently based in Chiang Mai. I have popped about this forum for a bit looking for advice. This is the first time, I have registered and am looking to ask for some help. I am a novice rider, who has only been riding for less than half a year. I have done a few rides and loops around Northern Thailand.

I am writing this is hope for some people to join me in this ride which I would like to do; or/and some advice on routes and bike trip care. I am planning to make a 7-10 day motorcycle ride from Chiang Mai to Koh Samui. Leaving Chiang Mai around the 23rd of May. As I am going for my TEFL course there. This is the first time I am doing such a journey; being mostly riding in the North.

After speaking to some people, I might be heading up to Mae Sai now to get some riding gear. Riding should always be safety first. =D

Half a plan has formulated on how I am going to do it and where to go. I plan about 200km, maybe more a day and am looking at hotels before starting. However, I love people to buddy along with me as I am a novice rider and it would be safer. Even if it is from point to point and not the whole journey. More suggestions, places of interests, advice and etc would be very much appreciated.

Will be posting on other relative pages for riders too. On my bus trip to Bangkok, I saw a few riders too. Am quite excited to see them. I am riding a keeway super light 200cc to do it too though; so I will definitely be slower than huge, fast bikes. Below is the bike I am using. She is a rental and with insurance.
Looking forward to hearing your suggestions and hopefully your participation in the ride!

_DSC7369.jpg,

Firstly, welcome to Ride Asia if you head to Mae Sai there is a pretty good gear shop on the left side of the crossing point ( Thai side) passing the police station make a left around 100 metres on your right. Looking at your intended dates i would suggest getting some waterproofs as your most likely to encounter some rain storms during that time.

I would suggest you take the scenic routes heading south towards Lom Sak along the Thai - Laos border then heading West in the direction of Kanchanaburi before heading South, try to avoid hwy 4 if you can its not the place for the faint hearted rider. If you have a gps i am sure some of the members can help you with pre planned routes.

Welcome to the forum and good luck on your search for riders. As novice rider one thing I can recommend to you is make sure you ride with riders who will not ride above your ability. If you find another novice to ride with you might be more comfortable. Also, make sure you have good safety gear as going down on pavement will take your skin off and I know this from first hand experience. May all your rides be happy ones.

Thank you for your welcome. =D Is there really? I have been informed that the ones on the Myammar side are cheaper. I think it was on this forum as well. Yeah, a friend has informed me the same thing, I am looking at a riding coat as well. Am a little worried if it will arrive in time. But I intend to get some. =]

I will most likely be being Map.me or some other app which is free and able to use offline. =] It will help when I run out of data.

Oh! Thank you regarding highway 4, I will do my best to avoid it. I'm still too much of a novice for now. Some people have been asking me to go straight from Bangkok to Tak. But I am definitely looking at options. My first action is looking for other riders for now and seeing where that might lead me.

thank you though! =] I really appreciate it. -[

-Rdrokit

Thank you! I look forward to learning more. Yeah, the hardest path seems to be searching for riders. I would like to stick to riders who are not way above my skill but still more experienced than I am. Yeah, I am currently on the lookout for better safety gear. Might be heading to Mae sai or across the border for some cheap and good gear. =] I have no doubt, so safety is very important to me as well. =] I hope it will be a happy one as well! Thank you!

Thank you for your welcome. =D Is there really? I have been informed that the ones on the Myammar side are cheaper. I think it was on this forum as well. Yeah, a friend has informed me the same thing, I am looking at a riding coat as well. Am a little worried if it will arrive in time. But I intend to get some. =]

I will most likely be being Map.me or some other app which is free and able to use offline. =] It will help when I run out of data.

Oh! Thank you regarding highway 4, I will do my best to avoid it. I'm still too much of a novice for now. Some people have been asking me to go straight from Bangkok to Tak. But I am definitely looking at options. My first action is looking for other riders for now and seeing where that might lead me.

thank you though! =] I really appreciate it. -[
Both the shops are actually the same owners [emoji1] but the shop on the Myanmar side carries more stock but remember you have to pay 500 baht to cross over overall the Thai side may be the cost effective option.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Oh! I didn't know that! Hmmm, I am basically looking for gloves, riding pants and a riding jacket. Basically, I am not as properly geared as I should. I hold a Thai passport, so I think I pay about 15 baht to get in or something like that. But if I do not need to cross the border, it might be better, I have not desire to be bog down by country line travel. =]

Bob - Isnt the 30 Baht day-pass from the Government office in Mae Sai only for Thai nationals? I think most of us are under the impression that you now need to actually cross into Tach., Myanmar with your passport and there is a 500 Baht fee for the Myanmar immigration visa entry?

Ginger - have you looked at Helmet2Home on Sri Donchai Road? http://www.helmet2home.com/index.php?lang=th
http://www.helmet2home.com/index.php?lang=eng

They have a reasonable stock of gloves and riding clothes.

As far as crossing into Myanmar at Mai Sai, you can get a day pass for 30 baht - but you have to stop at the Immigration Office about 2 kilometers before you get to the border crossing.

Bob - Isnt the 30 Baht day-pass from the Government office in Mae Sai only for Thai nationals? I think most of us are under the impression that you now need to actually cross into Tach., Myanmar with your passport and there is a 500 Baht fee for the Myanmar immigration visa entry?

It's 30 Baht for a border pass for Thai nationals, issued in 1 minute (usually) plus another 10 Baht fee payable on the Myanmar side. Foreign nationals who are allowed to cross to the Myanmar side and don't have a visa (or e-visa) pay 500 Baht or US$10. Clearly it's better to pay in US$.

The lady already said she holds a Thai passport so she is exempt the 500 baht fee none nationals pay.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's 30 Baht for a border pass for Thai nationals, issued in 1 minute (usually) plus another 10 Baht fee payable on the Myanmar side. Foreign nationals who are allowed to cross to the Myanmar side and don't have a visa (or e-visa) pay 500 Baht or US$10. Clearly it's better to pay in US$.

My wife crosses over several times a year at Mai Sai using the 30 baht border pass. But she has never been asked for an additional 10 baht on the Myanmar side. Exactly where have you been asked for that extra money?

Also, by law the fee to cross is $10 - but they don't always accept that and insist on the 500 baht. Clearly better for them.

:hijacked: Hey guy's if i recall the OP was primarily making an introduction and looking for information on and people to accompany her on a planned trip to Samui, should you want to start an open discussion thread on local border crossing costs feel free to do so.
:DD

Not yet.. I am looking at the website right now.. Ah.. The website is in Thai, I don't read Thai. Is the store located in Chiang mai? Shame that I can't just turn up at the border and do the crossing and payment there. Pain in the butt.. Thank you for the information thought! =D I might scrap heading to Mae Sai, who knows. All my plans are up in the air now, because I can't seem to find any riding buddies.

Yeah! I was just there. =] I found some gear which I can use. =] Lots of people recommended that place. The only problem I have right now is jeans or riding pants. I'm quite short..

Back
Top Bottom