Norton Atlas

brake034

Bikes
Suzuki GD110HU, BMW F650GS
Norton press release 28-06-2018:

Norton today reveal the finished engineering sketches of the all new Norton Atlas.
Powered by the new Norton 650cc twin engine.
The bike is due to be revealed at the NEC bike show in the UK this November, with UK deliveries set for 2019.
Norton are bringing back the Atlas name following on from the 1963 Atlas Scrambler.

FB_IMG_1530170855695.jpg

FB_IMG_1530170864329.jpg

Bit late coming into this sector, looks like a Ducati scrambler clone.

My Brother had an Atlas circa 1968 through the mid 1970s but that was a "normal" road bike. The engine was a 750cc twin that suffered from significant vibration and was based on the original 500cc engine in the model 7. I have owned a new 1963 650SS and a 1963 500SS purchased second hand in Singapore in 1972 and rebuilt there before shipping to New Zealand. Having ridden my Brother's Atlas, and a couple of Commandos, I can state that the engine vibrated more with increasing engine size. The 500SS was by far the best version and it was a mistake to increase the engine size without radical redesign IMHO. However, I guess that is all a moot point now as the new 650cc is obviously a "radical redesign" (555)
Cheers

Roughly one year ago Norton announced "an agreement with Chinese motorcycle manufacturer Zongshen to produce a brand new 650cc engine"; Norton design 650cc twin for Chinese firm

The engine picture shown in that press release looks very similar to the above pictured Atlas engine........
norton-650-engine-11.jpg

Interesting. Thanks for posting. I wonder why the clutch/gearbox is mounted so high - raising the CG I would have thought.

I think the main issue especially in the Thailand market with the marketplace already flooded is if it's assembled in Thailand to keep the price point low.

I think Norton is not eyeing the Thai market as such, I think with their current product range they have gone for the niche markets.
That might change with the new model but they will take it slow to see how things pan out in the commodities business, me thinks.....

From Norton's Facebook;
"Norton Atlas revealed with two new models, 250 of each model to be released for the UK market this Saturday Motorcycle Live The Atlas 'nomad' priced at £9,995 and the Atlas 'ranger' priced at £11,995. UK deliveries set to commence in May 2019 with European bikes set to release later in 2019, followed by USA, Australia late 2019."

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Captain_Slash General Discussion 3
bsacbob General Discussion 1
LED Kev General Discussion 1
Back
Top Bottom