NO MORE 'WATER WARS'

2wheels

Community Manager
Bikes
ROYAL ENFIELD CLASSIC
I'm not a fan of what Songran has become (ie Water Wars), after experiencing a few of them in Chiang Mai city.

So today I ventured out to present myself as the token large mobile 'Farang' target for the good folk of the Doi Saket area.

Thirty nine degrees, 60 road deaths yesterday, the most dangerous time to be riding on, arguably, the most dangerous roads on the globe,
Friday 13th, scooter wearing tiny wheels on wet roads. All the elements are there. What could go wrong?

My first 'wetting' was ever so gentle and sweet.

DSCN3037.jpg

These revelers weren't too sure how to approach the target but eventually did their thing.

DSCN3038.jpg

DSCN3039.jpg

DSCN3040.jpg

The main street of Doi Saket only had a couple of revelers.

DSCN3041.jpg

On to the hilltop Temple and these urchins had chosen an excellent spot; only one way up and down the mountain.

DSCN3042.jpg

DSCN3043.jpg

DSCN3046.jpg

DSCN3047.jpg

DSCN3048.jpg

DSCN3049.jpg

DSCN3050.jpg

DSCN3051.jpg

DSCN3052.jpg

DSCN3053.jpg

Around the back-streets towards the lake.

DSCN3055.jpg

Council had presented a traditional style celebration beside the lake.

DSCN3059.jpg

DSCN3058.jpg

Time for a break.
This coffee shop in Doi Saket has excellent coffee for only 25 baht.

GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail-1.jpg

And they sell some weird shirts too!

DSCN3081.jpg

Onward aboard the trusty Italian stallion along what is the market road every Tuesday.

DSCN3061.jpg

DSCN3062.jpg

DSCN3063.jpg

DSCN3066.jpg

"You can run but you can't hide".

DSCN3067.jpg

DSCN3068.jpg

DSCN3069.jpg

DSCN3070.jpg

Then along more back-streets.

DSCN3072.jpg

This little lad was looking splendid in his special hat.

DSCN3073.jpg

These lads had the best idea of the day.

DSCN3074.jpg

An unusual and effective approach. Sit nearby and sink a few whiskeys as the sprinkler system does all the work.

DSCN3078.jpg

DSCN3080.jpg

Finished the day with a spot of fishing with the locals.

DSCN3035.jpg

All up a very enjoyable few hours.
No drunks, no hoons on the road, no chunks of ice in water, no aggression.
Lots of polite and friendly locals.
That's my king of Songran.

I am not a lover of Songran and it being Friday 13th???
But I did love your pictures.

Friday the 13th is considered an unlucky day in Western superstition. It occurs when the 13th day of the month in the Gregorian calendar falls on a Friday, which happens at least once every year but can occur up to three times in the same year.[1] In 2017, it occurred twice, on January 13 and October 13. In 2018, it will also occur twice on April 13 and July 13.[1] There will be two Friday the 13ths every year until 2020, where 2021 and 2022 will have just one occurrence, in August and May respectively.

Just need to get July 13th over with now.

I don't go out during Songkran. When I first moved to Thailand we lived in Pattaya as my wife had a womens clothing store on Central near 2nd Street. I went out the first year and never again. It is a little calmer in Korat but at 70 years of age I don't need any water instituted problems. Especially when on my bike. lol Some pixs of what goes on in Pattaya.
https://get.google.com/albumarchive.../AF1QipPqCYbHDi57lCB7UEtYtXeHmm1-yPgq727c5YRF

Speaking of Friday 13th ....

" On Friday (13th) alone, the Songkran Day, there were 820 road accidents, claiming 86 lives and hospitalising 852 people, ... "

(Bangkok Post)

Great pictures Ron and find you daring to go out - I am hiding at my house till the water wars are over

Well, maybe a bit more.
After sweating it out in my garden for a couple of hours this afternoon (37 degrees)
I decided to go for a 'cool-down lap' around my village.
Glad I did too.
Ice-chilled water (but no chunks) gently poured over my back.
Luvly.

GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail-1.jpg

A high power water gun I see hidden in the bushes Ron I see lol

Back
Top Bottom