Niyom Panich Honda dealer to sell Honda CRF 450 & 250 F MX bikes in Thailand

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Honda CRF 250 F , Honda CRF 450 F & "X" Enduro models

IMG_6973-600x400.jpg

We've been told that Niyom Panich Honda dealer will sell Honda CRF 450 F & 250 F motocross bikes & the enduro X (headlight) version of both in Thailand, they say they should have stock in about 1 month. These are all competition spec. bikes.

Rumored pricing is to be around 310,000 Bht for the 250cc model & 380,000 Bht for the 450cc version.

They will be available in Chiang Mai.

110KG / 55HP Nice ratio!

MOTOCROSS ACTION IMPRESSION: WHAT IT'S LIKE TO RIDE THE 2013 HONDA CRF450

Honda went back to the drawing board and completely overhauled the CRF450. The frame is new, as is the swingarm, clutch, body styling, and two short mufflers replace the single. Find all there is to know here!
Honda1.jpg

The 2013 Honda CRF450.

FLYING INTO THE UNKNOWN
By John Basher

In my tenure at Motocross Action magazine, I've never been apart of such a secret operation as what Honda planned last week. I feltlike I was told the secret to eternal life and then had to keep it tomyself. Disseminating the information probably would have led to astoning by Honda's staff. For six very long days I had to hold mytongue. But the day has come for me to reveal the biggest secret I'veevery kept-what it's like to ride the all-new 2013 Honda CRF450.

Honda11.jpg

Zaca Station from the helicopter.

I honestly didn't know that I would get the opportunity to do so. A month ago Honda's PR staff sent out a cryptic email. The invitation failed to include any information regarding what Honda vehicle I would be riding. Maybe it was a new water craft, a dual-sport bike, or perhaps Honda was bringing back the two-stroke! The message did contain specific instructions to bring board shorts and work gloves. Was I going to be chopping down trees and wrestling alligators? I didn't have a clue. I was also told to pack lightly.
This past week I met Kevin Aschenbach, the press relations coordinator, at American Honda in Torrance, California. Upon arrival Kevin was still tight-lipped about the day's activities. It wasn't until we arrived at Torrance airport and walked to a helicopter that I realized we were going to Catalina Island. Wrong again.
An hour later we were circling the Zaca Station motocross track. North of Santa Barbara, Zaca Station is a pristine track and a popular spot for bike manufacturers to hold press introductions. Adding everything together, I nearly sprinted from the helicopter to the Honda truck in anticipation. What I discovered was the 2013 Honda CRF450.

DISSECTING THE CRF450
Honda6.jpg

The writing was on the wall-I'd be one of the first people in the world to test ride the radically new Honda CRF450. I could hardly contain myself. I circled the bike like a vulture, marveling at all of the changes that Honda made. Aside from the edgy body styling, the most obvious change is the twin-pipe design. Upon closer inspection I noticed the larger gas tank, unusual fork caps, different swingarm, and frame spars that were considerably lower on the head tube compared to the 2012 model.

Article from MotocrossAction , more here:

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/5ab5b434-62cb-48b5-bdf7-8a1b5fa086e5.aspx

Service intervals is a big question for me..

Also is the enduro spec one less demanding on that front..

Sure is great news tho.. Main dealer sold dirtbikes !! A new day is here !!

Really interested in hearing more about the CRF 450 Enduro. I take it will be able to be plated in Thailand? Looking for something lighter than my 950 but with more balls to haul my fat ass around than the CRF 250.

Really interested in hearing more about the CRF 450 Enduro. I take it will be able to be plated in Thailand? Looking for something lighter than my 950 but with more balls to haul my fat ass around than the CRF 250.

Great 450enduro shootout in the link below:

Motorcycle Videos - 2012 Honda CRF450X Shootout Video - Motorcycle USA

.....And more below:

[h=1]2012 Honda CRF450X Shootout[/h]
JC-Hilderbrand.jpg
JC Hilderbrand
Off-Road Editor|Articles|Articles RSS|Blog |Blog Posts |Blog RSSHilde is holding down the fort at MotoUSA's Southern Oregon HQ. With world-class dirt bike and ATV trails just minutes away, the hardest part is getting him to focus on the keyboard. Two wheels or four, it doesn't matter to our Off-Road Editor so long as it goes like hell in the dirt.

Monday, May 07, 2012

Print
RSS
Font:

12_450_Enduro_Shootout-honda.jpg

The Honda CRF450X holds no undisclosed secrets, no mind-bending upgrades and no major transformations. What it does hold is a fat stack of off-road titles, particularly from the desert. Honda has long been King of Baja with its red racers, and the 450X is the current Honda of choice for the iconic 1X racers. With Yamaha upping the game from Japan, we needed to include the venerable Honda in this shootout to see what has given it such staying power across the past decade.

comp_video_header.gif
video_head_spons_home.gif

Take a look at Big Red in action with the 2012 Honda CRF450X Shootout Video.

Big Red makes use of the Unicam engine design. It's the only bike that doesn't use a 95mm x 63.4mm bore and stroke. Honda employs a 96mm bore and retains a 40mm flat-side Keihin carburetor for fuel delivery. With only 1.9 gallons on tap, the CRF falls short in terms of range, and that's something we noted during our long days. One thing we particularly like about the Honda is how quickly it fires to life. With the exception of the EFI-equipped KTM, the Honda is most willing to get underway. Like the rest of the bikes it has a kick start in the case of a dead battery.

The Japanese mill cranks out slightly higher dyno numbers than the Yamaha with 29.41 lb-ft of torque and 41.98 horsepower. It's clear from the power charts that the Honda lacks bottom-end, though our testers didn't notice out on the trail. What we did notice is a significant amount of vibration that transmits through the aluminum chassis and puts the hands to sleep.

"It's not slow by any means, but it just feels like it's always on step behind the others in the power department," comments Dawes. "The CRF is just so vanilla. I never once found myself impressed with the character of the motor."

The CRF-X has the best cable-clutch in this
group, but it doesn't compare to the hydraulic units.
A five-speed transmission uses gear ratios that Hutchison is particularly impressed with. However, it does fall off on top while the other bikes keep pulling. A smaller rear sprocket could help give the 450X a chance against the six-speed trannies of the Beta and KTM.

"The internal gearing is fine, not much to complain about there," says Martin. "Unfortunately, the final gearing puts that bike in dead last for top speed."

Garcia backed that up by saying, "The CRF has the standard clutch and after comparing it with a hydraulic clutch, the Honda and Yamaha just don't even come close. I wasn't too stoked on the transmission of the Honda. Every gear seemed to be really short and a lot of shifting was needed."

In addition to the vibey engine, Honda's suspension setup takes a toll on the rider as well. Its 47mm Showa fork and Pro-Link Showa shock are both very rigid and work best when slamming rough terrain at max speed. Trying to get the suspension to work can take some effort, but coaxing the chassis takes virtually none. The aluminum frame provides excellent ergonomics that feel comfortable and familiar right away, and it excels in fast terrain where it refuses to get out of shape. Only the Yamaha offers more stability.

"I am really impressed with the Honda's manners in the sand washes and high-speed sections," says our surprised Associate Editor. "It's like it is on rails. This is the bike for Baja. In the tight stuff, however the handling is a bit sluggish. The suspension needs some serious attention; this thing beats the hell out of you in the rough stuff!"

"The CRF may not have been paired with the best suspension," counters Frankie, "but the bike is extremely stable which helps it earn my top pick for handling. The Honda does exactly what the rider asks for it to do."

These riders both picked the Honda as their favorite desert bike.
Our pro tester isn't convinced that the steering stabilizer does anything, but one of our slower testers raves about it. The HPSD is a feature that none of the other bikes have. Considering its lack of revision over the years, it's one of the details that Honda can hang its hat on. All of the bikes have a quick-access air filter, but the Honda is the most difficult to change. We always complain about the lack of a modern onboard computer, but have to admit that it wasn't an issue over the course of our testing. In fact, one rider preferred the simplicity of the 450X. Not having the technology is sometimes less frustrating than having it and needing a user's manual.

"When I am out on the trails the only thing on the instrument cluster I really care about is how many miles I have gone," says Garcia. "Honda has the easiest, most old-school way to do so and that is what satisfied me the most."

The CRF-X finished last in the braking department. It has binders that are plenty strong, but they don't compare to the extreme power of the Beta and KTM. Our pro did mention that the rear brake provides the best feel, which was what he needs for ripping those mile-long wheelies.

When it was all said and done, two of our riders chose the Honda as their preferred machine. The simplicity, excellent ergonomics, reliability and aftermarket support were enough to convince them it's the right way to go in the desert. Based on the Yamaha's updates and $8090 pricetag, the Honda seems a bit expensive at $8440. Despite being dated, the Honda is still a good motorcycle, especially in these riding conditions. However, even on hits home turf, the CRF450X didn't win a single category. Sometimes being good at everything, but great at nothing can earn a shootout victory, but not this time.

Legally plated would be tough and expensive I imagine..

But its hardly a tour type machine, so is it really needed with the lax enforcement ?? I guess if Laos is on the menu but ??

From what I read of the reviews last night.. the Enduro spec of this is quite biased still to high speed open riding.. It likes the open stuff and has a pretty peaky power if those reviews are accurate.

That "Chasing Summer" documentary of the two rock stars doing the Baha 1000 on CRF 450 X's with big tanks made it look a really interesting bike.

Here's the chasing summer Baha 1000 route videos

Nice looking scooters too and if the price is confirmed sensibly priced for Thailand, wonder if the X and R will be same price, historically enduro bikes prices have always been premium wrt to MX bikes.

I think service intervals will put plenty of folk off, with tiny, super low skirt pistons and one ring, maintenence will need to be frequent and diligent. I have a 2006 CRF250R so I'm well aware of whats involved.

Correction - they will be selling the "R" model (motocross bike) .... bad information above not the "F" model.

Back
Top Bottom