New to motorbiking, and the forum

terrytreks

Bikes
scooters
Hello, this forum looks like a good resource for the big trip I have planned. I have one big trip under my belt so far. I've never been a motorbiker before, but I wanted to see more of Indonesia, so I rented a little scooter there. I drove it around Bali for two weeks, then rode it to Lombok, Sumbawa, and Flores and back. It was incredible, and now I believe motorbikes are the best way to see Asia.

So my next big trip will be driving the Ho Chi Minh trail. I'd prefer to do it on a little semi-automatic bike like a Honda Wave or something, but I don't know if those are available in Vietnam. I've never driven a manual, so I don't think I'd be comfortable on a Honda Win. I read an account by a guy who did it on a scooter, so maybe I'll do that.

I dream of continuing into Laos, Cambodia, then back to HCMC. But that might be too much for one trip. I'll see how I feel once I get to Hanoi.

Terrytreks

I was a Honda Wave and scooter man for twenty years before I finally took the plunge and bought my first 'real' bike last June. You'll be surprised how easy riding a manual clutch bike is and all of the road craft you learn whilst riding the scooters is directly transferable.

Whatever you ride, enjoy your trips!

I was a Honda Wave and scooter man for twenty years before I finally took the plunge and bought my first 'real' bike last June. You'll be surprised how easy riding a manual clutch bike is and all of the road craft you learn whilst riding the scooters is directly transferable.

Whatever you ride, enjoy your trips!

Thanks! I'll likely try out some Wins to see if I can handle the clutch. As much as I'd like to have more control, those scooters certainly are comfy, so they have that going for them!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Introductions 6
P Introductions 3
K Introductions 4
Back
Top Bottom